How heavily do you rely on "you will ___ in 5 weeks!"?

Options
13»

Replies

• akgrown4
    akgrown4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think you need to take a lot of factors into account when you look at that number. First of all, it is a guesstimate based upon what you are doing today and if you can continue to do that EVERYDAY for the next five weeks, second of all, I don't believe it takes into account how long people have been dieting, so those people who have just started working out/dieting, you may actually lose more in that first week or two. I, myself, actually do use it as a motivator. I love seeing how low my weight goes and watch for when it actually ends up below my goals before I do, lol.
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It is never right for me LOL
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I look at it, because it's fun but 5 weeks from then, I never even remember, so I don't really go by it. lol
    I think I would like it better if it went in 4 week increments, though.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I never hit "complete this entry" so not at all
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Just for a visual of how it works..

its going to assume everyday is like today..

If you were to take a line graph of your weight... and hold a ruler up to today..

how much you "gained" today is how far the ruler is angled upward.
    how much you "lost" today is how far the ruler is angled downward.
    either way, the end of the ruler, 5weeks away, is the number it says...

thats also why you can hit it, then add 50cals, and hit it again and see a big change.
  • Browny43
    Browny43 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wrote it down on a calendar a while ago and when that day came i was 2 lbs away from it, so for me its a great motivator, I recently wrote it down again so I'm looking forward to March 27. I have it logged in my phone calendar.
  • tgianino
    tgianino Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on it at all, it changes everyday, by how many calories you've taken in. :smile:
  • joeandkara01
    Options
    I actually put a reminder in my phone one day. when my day to check comes I will follow up.
  • joeandkara01
    Options
    It's good for when you are trying to maintain a weight and you are trying to get a balance on how many calories you need to be consistent. They are correct it changes with your caloric intake and your weight. When you reach the weight you are comfortable with that is when you should start watching the number.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Last year when I was in the process of dropping the 50lbs i paid attention to the 5 weeks number and jotted it down. Over 4 months time it was fairly spot on accurate. Obviously on cheat days or spike days it was off, because it is just a daily tally, but over the several months it was pretty accurate. i ate fairly consistently and lost fairly consistently.

its simply a motivating factor based on today's choices. If nothing else its a fun benchmark
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I really don't pay attention to it seeing how every day is different as far as calories, exercise and what not.
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    According to that little notation, I should be about 12 pounds down from where I started.

I'm not.

So, the short answer is: Not at all.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Not at all, half the time I don't even remember what it says.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I look at it every time, but not because I believe it is gospel truth, but because it's nice to see that number get a little bit lower every week. Helps keep my short term goals in check and keeps me motivated so I can see that number soon!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I log it with my food diary for reference, today I am 3lb lighter than than the 5 week ago estimate, and that was a day when I got shouted at for eating too little (a rare occurrence) so I must be doing something right :happy:
  • darylinny
    darylinny Posts: 146
    Options
    I don't take it to heart. I look at it and think that if I do keep up a good day like it says, then I could be coming up to that weight.

Me too.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Since it starts with "If every day were like today..." and no two days are the same, I don't see it as a worthwhile prediction. Just an indication on how things went today.
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i think it's a pretty great motivator. i have a long ways to go yet (50 pounds) so it's nice to see where my hard work will take me.
    I agree with this :) Although I don't fully appreciate the number, it definitely makes me want to do as best I can all the time!

I totally agree!!! It is complete MOTIVATION!! I don't write it down but I do consider it daily after all my meals are entered.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love it!!! I write it down every night after I finish logging.

I have a white board in my room right beside my mirror where I write the following:

Weekly Goal Weight: 175 lbs.
    5 Week Goal Weight: 165 lbs.

Monday: 166.6
    Tuesday 168
    Wednesday 164
    Thursday 165
    And so on...

I find that when I write out my 5 week goal each day it helps me track if I'm doing enough during the week. And for me- it's been 100% accurate.:flowerforyou:
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I just realized something.
    If you have your goal set at 1200... if you're 1199 cals... it gives you the "starvation mode" message... but if you're 1200 or over, it just gives you your weight.

you never see that happy non-starvation under-calorie-goal message.