Exercising, No Weight Loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• bodyjammin85
    bodyjammin85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A couple of people have touched on it. You need to eat more 1200 is the bare minimum that scientists say your body can function on. Calculate your BMR (use the calculator on MFP tools) and stick to that then add extra for calories burned during exercise. BMR is the cals your body needs if you just lay in bed all day. Your organs need to function, your hair and nails need to grow and your heart needs to pump blood around your body. They need these cals so don't deprive them. Try adding 100-200 a week slowly until you can maintain a steady healthy weight loss.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    I think there is a disconnect between myself and a few of you, so I'm going to let that part of the thread die.

Back to the OP's question, I stand by my initial thoughts - water retention is probably a big part of it.

Yes there is a disconnect.

The OP said she was running roughly 7-10 miles PER WEEK. So while 800-1200 is a "lot" of calories (subjective yes), spread over a week, it's 115-130 day. Not all that much. Easily negated by a few Oreos.

Yes you can run 9 miles in 90 mins and burn 1200 calories. Guess what, if you run 9 miles in 60 mins... you are going to burn pretty much 1200 calories too.

And as another poster said - it's all estimation. Not all miles are the same. Your weight contributes to calorie burn. The difficulty of the terrain (flat, downhill, uphill). Hell even wind (a nice tail wind will make you 30s / mile faster.

This is a fairly good write up about calories per mile: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

As for HRM's et al - I wear those too. My finding (and I have this documented on RunningAhead.com where I track all my running workouts downloaded from my garmin device). On one course I often run, 6.4 miles burns the same amount of calories whether run it at 7:00/mile or 8:30/mile. The former just takes 10' less....

But we can gladly agree to disagree. I think we can all agree that running is beneficial. The more you do, the hungrier you are. But healthier too. Good luck everyone.
  • dmburke11
    Options
    blah blah blah, how many calories do i burn pacing back and forth from the living room to the kitchen checking over and over to make sure there aren't cookies in there somewhere?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Buy a measuring tape. Take pictures. Don't give up because of a number that could fluctuate throughout the day. Just keep at it, you'll get to where you want to go.
    Remember running doesn't burn all that many calories. I mean it's a great thing to do... but if you are running 7-10 miles a week, that's what... 800-1200 calories?

i don't know what kind of running you are doing, but i'll easily burn 400-500 calories in a 20 minute run.
    Well done you, now try running in possession of a pair of breasts! :bigsmile:
    Been there, done that... Still doing that, actually. :(
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You can't gaudge the success of something by only doing it for a week or 2, you have to do it for several weeks to allow your body time to adjust to doing something new. keep at it, you'll be fine.
  • triadvocate
    triadvocate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's really about what you eat as opposed a to how much you eat. High protein , super low fat. Look at what chemicals are in the food that you are eating as well.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I’ve been dieting for a little over a month now. I’ve lost 10 pounds so far. I’ve been exercising the whole way through, but nothing too crazy. Last week, I started running, and I’ve been running at least a mile a day, sometimes more. I thought I’d see some weight loss due to the running – I only lost a pound last week, but I actually didn’t lose anything this week. :( At least I didn’t gain, but it’s still frustrating! I’m staying under 1200 calories per day, unless I run – then I eat some of the calories back if I’m hungry, but I’m not netting over 1200.

My boyfriend is telling me I am starting to look slimmer, and his sister told me the same thing yesterday, without even knowing I was dieting or exercising. :) My boyfriend is really honest and straightforward, so I turn to him a lot to gauge how well I’m doing, because I know he’ll tell me what he truly sees. He told me he thinks I’m doing great and I should keep it up! His theory is that my weight may be staying the same because I am (hopefully) losing fat, but building muscle from the running. Any thoughts?

Wow, first of all...I believe you must eat to loose weight...you are not even eating your BMR ( which is your basal metabolic rate...what it takes for you to stay in bed all day and just breathe...organs to function...that's it), you not only get up and move around, but run too and you NET 1200....when you cut calories so drastically the body looses weight and then thinks it is starving because it isn't even getting what it needs to fuel BMR. Then metabolism slows to a halt, and there goes weightloss...deadstop.

I couldn't loose anything at 1200, then bumped to 1350, then 1500 I lost a few pounds...I did some research on TDEE and BMR and a safe cut amount and bumped up to 1800 calories...lost 7.2lbs when I lost NONE for over six months...I just stagnated so that means my body has slowed again to adjust for the deficit under TDEE and so I have bumped to 1950...

Said all this to say, I have more energy, I am never hunger, I am often just way too full matter of fact, I never carb binge anymore...I lift heavy, have lost fat and inches...

I have finally convinced many of my friends to start eating and had to create a group because I was on friend overload...we don't have to be miserable to loose weight...1200 cals is just too low for anyone. I now there are people that say they lost it all doing that...but sorry you can't convince me ever that it is safe to eat less than what your body needs to just breathe!

Anyway, upping calories is what has made me leaner and stronger than I have ever been in my whole life. There is a bunch of information in the group "Eat More to Weigh Less"...

I wish you the best!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough......you are barely getting 1200 calories a day, if that. And I looked at your diary and it's full of processed foods that are high in sodium. Where are the fresh fruits and veggies? I would ditch all the cereal bars and 100 cal pack snacks and add apples, oranges, bananas, carrots, spinach ect. Greek yogurt, eggs, chicken breasts, tuna. And eat the recommended calorie allotment that MFP gives you and that means eating exercise calories back.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone (and sometimes I have to remind myself of this too) ....Before throwing out suggestions and advice - check to see if the OP's diary is open. Clearly she's under-eating and the calories that she is consuming aren't very nutritional.
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose tons of weight when training for my marathon. I have always been a runner, but I notice my diet significantly affects my performance and weight loss, or gain, regardless of how many miles I run.

Stick to whole foods, especially whole carbs to refuel (fibrous fruit and veggies). In fact, when you're running at a slow/moderate pace for endurance training, you don't need to carb load. It will only give you 50 minutes of energy anyway (but we don't need to go into the science about that). My point is, diet is key. Clean eating is key.

"Feed the machine" but with whole foods, no processed sugar, hydrate a lot, and just keep going. It takes time. Especially when you're building muscle and slowing shedding the weight.

Running can burn tons of calories, but it also correlates to your body weight decreasing. Running also isn't a license to overeat (this is easy/common - we've all done it as runners) but you do need to eat! Feed the machine. You'll be fine.