1,200 calories...to eat or not to eat.

Options
I've lost 73 pounds and I'm trying to lose 30 more and I'll be happy but I CANT LOSE ANYMORE WEIGHT. My goal is 1,200....should I eat under?
HELP

Replies

• Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat under. You might try shaking things up and taking a day or two off from dieting and then going back to it. That might be the kick you need to get your metabolism working with you again. Good luck!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to get my last 20 pounds off too so curious to see what everyone has to say about this. I've been told that I don't eat enough calories thru the day so I've been trying to increase them gradually the past week now. I guess I'll find out if that has helped when I do my next weigh in.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You might want to switch to losing 1/2 lb per week now and eat a little more. Once you get closer to goal it comes off slower.
  • AJWrn87
    AJWrn87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat less than that. You need those calories to fuel your body and mind. Try shaking up your exercise routine, if you usually walk on a treadmill every day try an elliptical for 20-30min 2-3 times a week and to add in a weight routine as well or something along those lines.
  • mcsolis
    mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't eat less eat more...i was plateauing a lot while i was at 1200 and i was always hungry..i bumped it up to 1416 and i started losing again http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm check out this site it helped me
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would eat more, try to eat your BMR at least
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My allowance is 1250 a day but I've only been doing it for a week... Sometimes I find that I end up going over by about 50 calories, and other days, like today, I have almost 300 leftover after having my evening meal! Are we actually meant to use all the calories?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Getting closer to goal = slower loss unfortunately.

I have heard that some people have success with ketogenic diets to get those last stubborn lbs off though. Perhaps do a short ketogenic stint (dropping your carbs to 30 or 40% of total cals and replacing them with either extra fat or extra protein) and see what happens.

Also, are you weight lifting? If not, start.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    There are days where I kinda binge but I still work out and I lose weight!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goal weight, you should be steadily increasing calories, not decreasing. Try raising it to say, 1400-1600.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    under eating calories to lose weight usually only works in the beginning when you're adjusting to eating less. sometimes when you plateau, you need to consume a little bit more.
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    I have 8.5 pounds left to lose...I eat 1200 or a little under. After losing 25 pounds at an average of 2 pounds per week I know notice that I lose slower so I am happy when I see a .5 - 1 pound loss a week. I work out 7 days a week for 60 minutes. 3 days of strength training, 3 days of cardio, and 1 day of pilates/yoga/tai chi, etc.
  • Evelynandchris
    Evelynandchris Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I bumped down to 1025 to lose the last 30. I continually lose, but it is really hard to eat that few calories. I eat lots of vegan dishes with lots of fruits and veggies. I am 10 pounds away from my goal. I think after that I will be done with weight loss. I will just move to a 1400 calorie/day program. I know people will say you shouldn't eat that few of calories, but everyone is different. I have list 90 total and these last few have been the hardest. Whatever you decide, hang in there! You have come so far!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My allowance is 1250 a day but I've only been doing it for a week... Sometimes I find that I end up going over by about 50 calories, and other days, like today, I have almost 300 leftover after having my evening meal! Are we actually meant to use all the calories?

Yes, but you don't have to use them all every day. It should average out to what you are alotted over a week or so, though. I was very careful about sticking to it every day when I first joined MFP, but now I go over some days and under some days, but try to make sure I'm pretty close if I average out 7-10 days. This also allows me to eat more on the weekends and at events without going over. And I'm still maintaining my loss just fine.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    Back around the holidays I was walking 6-10 miles per day and was supposed to eat 1800-2300 calories per MFP. I had lost steadily on 1200-1500 calories. Everybody was freaking out and kept telling me I was starving myself. I felt fine but I bumped up my calories and gained 5 pounds in two months of eating like that. And no, it wasn't muscle since my legs are already extremely muscular. If I eat more than 1500 calories I GAIN weight. Period. Everybody's different. Experiment to find what works for you and stick with it.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Either decrease your requested rate of weightloss so that you have a higher daily calorie goal, OR go on maintenance calories for like a week or two and then go back to your deficit, OR allow yourself one high-calorie (maintenance or higher) day every week or two and keep your deficit the rest of the time, OR try going on freedieting.com and get a 'zig-zag' schedule to change things up a bit. Any of those options might be helpful in busting your plateau. :-)

I eat more now that I am closer to my goal. In the beginning when I had 40 lbs to lose, I did 1200 for awhile. Then I started exercising and so I ate 1200 + exercise calories. Currently I have decreased my requested rate of weightloss to 1/2 lb per week since I'm very close to goal, and that gives me 1360 per day plus I eat my exercise calories.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'd switch to a 1/2 lb per week. Upping your calories may help. It did for me.
  • corinne618
    corinne618 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem!!! i exercise like a lunatic, and i eat all the right things, yet the scale won't budge. I am down 60 pounds and want to lose about 30-40 more. it's so frustrating..
  • heidiisthebeesknees
    Options
    I wouldn't eat under. Food = fuel. I would focus more on eating healthy things. :)
  • spencerp2122
    Options
    1200 is as low as you can go