Replies

• TxGem13
    TxGem13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well said soulcheese3!!!
  • susanrush
    susanrush Posts: 18
    Options
    I did it as a cleanse and loved it. I got a juicer for christmas and have since converted half my office to juicers. I don't want to do it as a long diet but I think a few days to a week is healthy every once in a while. Just have to remember to keep the vegetable ratio up higher than the fruit.

I like how it streamlines the nutrients so if gives your body a break and still juice daily but not as an only source of caloric intake. I recently purchased a dehydrator, so I save the pulp and use it in breads, to make dried crackers or in my compost pile so nothing goes to waste.
  • ItsFunToBeMe
    Options
    I am glad to say that I've just completed Day Two successfully! Yesterday I was not hungry and didn't really miss food. Today I was not hungry, but I DID miss "eating" food and by about 9 pm I could have scarfed down a cheeseburger happily! But as you said - it is mental, because I'm truly not hungry.

I have lost about three pounds, but I swear I may gain it back after the huge juice thingie I had for dinner tonight. We'll see. Anyway, I have not had headaches but I was kind of tired today. Not too bad, and it sure didn't stop me from doing all I had to do today, but I could tell my energy level is down a bit. I've heard the third day is pretty rough, so we'll see!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Why not eat the fruits and veggies instead of blending them?
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that did a 10 day cleanse that was primarily salt water and lemonade~after which he began doing protein shakes and whole fruit juices.

He went from 220 lbs to 185 over a period of 1 month and is now in maintenance. He eats lots of whole fruit and veggies and still does protein shakes as well as eating sensibly. He indulges in pizza and other favorites, but is careful about portion sizes and says he feels 100% better.

I looked at this video and his result is about the same as the guy in the vid.

I say, a cleanse is a good way to start and I do not see any harm in doing this every six months or so to keep your intestines free of gunk, but I would opt for the three day on three day off cleanse rather than 10 days.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Why not eat the fruits and veggies instead of blending them?

^^^^^ Me too. What's the point of grinding it up and drinking it?
  • woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've never watched the documentary. The longest I've ever juiced was 3 days. I'd like to try to do a 10 day one, though. I have a hard time sleeping because the juice gives me so much energy. I think I look a lot prettier when I juice frequently. It keeps me very hydrated. I usually have chapped lips but not when I juice. Also, juicing makes my eyes bigger and the whites whiter and it takes away any darkness under my eyes. Also, I juice a lot of carrots and it makes my skin orange. Anyway, I just think I look prettier lol. I haven't juiced in about 3 weeks though out of laziness. I've been eating pretty badly. After juicing, I'm always more conscientiousness of what I eat. I've been watching theliferegenerator on youtube on and off for 2 years. This thread has motivated me to do at least another 3 day juice fast.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    dont forget that he was also under a Doctor's supervision.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I watched it this weekend and I have started by replacing breakfast and sometimes dinner. My main concern is the extreme lack of protein! when it comes down to it why not give it a try, it won't hurt you and I bet it will help cut any cravings you might have.

Our bodies actually don't need as much protein as we think it does...but a lot of vegetables are pretty high in protein. Beans and spinach are good sources. Also, if you can find spirulina anywhere, it has MASSIVE amounts of protein in it. It's basically algae. You can find it in tablet form at most health food stores and a lot of Asian markets have it fresh.

That's what I'm thinking! As a vegetarian, people feel the need to bug me about it (don't even get me started, a family member recently announced "I'm going to get some MEAT" after interrogating me about being a vegetarian) as if protein is the be all and end all of everything. What most people don't realise is that broccoli has more protein, calorie for calorie, than steak, without all the hormones, cruelty, sat fat etc. People are very misinformed *shakes head*

Anyway, I get enough protein now. I eat better, and have whey protein shakes :) but too much protein is bad for you, right?

I also wanna try spirulina (but not the powder version, it's hard enough for me to choke down my protein shakes!) so knowing you can get tablets is helpful :)
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    On a side note, why are people getting so angry about this? Is it just MFP people that are ridiculously easily annoyed? I don't think I've yet come across a thread without at least one person being rude or acting arrogant.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I get enough protein now. I eat better, and have whey protein shakes :) but too much protein is bad for you, right?
    Never can get too much protein if you're trying to put on lean muscle!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried juicing, but I did a raw food cleanse for 12 days. I experienced diminished cravings, it stopped my blood sugar spikes, my skin was very clear and so was my mind. My sense of smell was keener. I was mentally sharper and had boundless energy (I had to just go to sleep because it was night, not because I was sleepy). I found that when I did the cleanse, it helped to drink a few cups of water right before bed to help sweep out garbage my body tossed as it repaired itself at night. I lost the 10 lbs in January and have not gained it back...not 1 lb of it.

To each his own, but I believe these options are great for jump starting a eating lifestyle change. Juicing a fruit or vegetable makes it easier to digest. Also as far as protein, I've been taking spirulina and drinking juices that contain spirulina for years. It is a superfood and contains a large amount of protein. It provides instant energy beyond measure.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Never can get too much protein if you're trying to put on lean muscle!

IDEA Fitness member

But research all points to too much protein being bad for you. I think you can have too much. I agree you should have enough if you're trying to build muscle, or whatever, but I don't think you should overdose on it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    But research all points to too much protein being bad for you. I think you can have too much. I agree you should have enough if you're trying to build muscle, or whatever, but I don't think you should overdose on it.
    I'd love to see the research.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I watched the document last summer and was happy for the guy. However, from viewing that I went straight to the store and bought a juicer. I then almost passed out from not having any solid food. It was that bad, I started getting extremely dizzy and just about fainted after a while. I just now found out I'm anemic (low end and they are testing me for 3 months) and didn't know that I could drink certain juices to boost red blood cells.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I want to try this after I grow some kale in my garden. I think I might add flaxseed oil, hemp seed and chia seed for some fat and protein and make smoothies rather than just juice.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I haven't tried juicing, but I did a raw food cleanse for 12 days. I experienced diminished cravings, it stopped my blood sugar spikes, my skin was very clear and so was my mind. My sense of smell was keener. I was mentally sharper and had boundless energy (I had to just go to sleep because it was night, not because I was sleepy). I found that when I did the cleanse, it helped to drink a few cups of water right before bed to help sweep out garbage my body tossed as it repaired itself at night. I lost the 10 lbs in January and have not gained it back...not 1 lb of it.

To each his own, but I believe these options are great for jump starting a eating lifestyle change. Juicing a fruit or vegetable makes it easier to digest. Also as far as protein, I've been taking spirulina and drinking juices that contain spirulina for years. It is a superfood and contains a large amount of protein. It provides instant energy beyond measure.

My ultimate goal is to be a raw vegan. The benefits are amazing, not to mention it's kind to the planet and animals.. I can only dream of proper sleep, energy, a clear mind and clear skin. I find it hard, though. Everything I seem to like is cooked or processed.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Google houses thousands of articles.
  • Deutsche1999
    Options
    this is not a good thing.. you will loose water weight... and once you return to solids it will come back just as fast as it left. the only way to loose weight and keep it off is to modify you life style, if you cannot live with it for the rest of your life don't even bother with it.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Google houses thousands of articles.

Find some... Here is one from Google Scholar, just for fun : http://www.ajcn.org/content/82/1/41.short
    I searched for 10 minutes in the university's library database (where we have access to the whole paper, not just the abstract like in this link), and could not find much about protein overdose, or negative effects of too much protein in a diet. Found a lot about red meat though, but that is not the same thing by a long shot. If anything, they just proved that the low carb diet even works just because it ups protein at the same time.

As for the juice diet itself, I see this as just part of the whole diet industry mind set. Research again shows that we are getting very good at dieting (losing in a rush then gaining back), but worse and worse at living healthy lives, and stuff like that liquid diet embodies that perfectly.

The ONLY way to succeed in this adventure is to change your lifestyle. Everything else is a side effect (weight loss, better focus, better health...) and the best part is that victory happens on day 1. Don't set yourself up for failure :(

EDIT : This article should be mandatory reading before trying any form of diet : http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN92_S1/S0007114504001680a.pdf&code=38ab4addd25abcef7005a5003ed21b36

It is purely awesome, really.