Going dairy free. I need suggestions.

Options
In an effort to clear up my face I am going to give up dairy for a few weeks to see if it (acne) goes away.

I drink lots of 1/2 and 1/2 (In coffee)

I LOVE Chobani yougurt

I eat quite a bit of laughing cow cheese spread and some cheese on sandwiches

I eat ice cream or frozen yogurt

I need some good suggestions to replace all of these. I have tried coconut cream and soy creamer for coffee. It's okay, but does not taste creamy enough. I am not afraid of fattening things, I just want them to taste as good as the original deal. I already plan to get almond mik to replace regular milk because I know that stuff taste good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different flavors of sorbet that are dairy free and delicious. Hagan Daaz makes a bunch of them. Good luck to you!
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am not a yogurt fan in general... but there are soy yogurts that to me taste just like regular yogurt.... hopefully that is something you can look into if you haven't already
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I love almond milk! I especially love the almond-coconut milk blend..yum!
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I agree with akgrl1020, almond milk is really good. So is the vanilla flavored soy milk.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    replacements are hard! Im a recent vegan and I have found that trying to replace things is much harder than just trying out new and different ideas. that being said, SOY yogurts are alright and no-moo "ice cream" is good. Cuties are really good non dairy ice cream sandwiches. I suggest going to a health food store and looking around/talking to a staffer.
  • misslissa121
    Options
    I love vanilla almond milk (unsweetened), and silk makes a creamer as well. Also a lot of yogurt brands are going with lactose, dairy free options, I know yoplait for sure has one. As far as cheese goes, I really don't think there is one. I also know there are various ice creams in the specialty, organic, health food frozen sections. You can always make pudding with almond milk and then freeze it for a pudding pop like jellow use to make
  • EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    Here are my non dairy staples. They are GREAT dairy substitutes.

Lisanatti almond cheese (cheddar flavor is my fave)
    Silk Milk light or almond milk
    Tofutti cream cheese spread
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Non-dairy dry creamer. And jars and jars of peanut butter. I put that *kitten* on everything :love:
  • lissamok
    lissamok Posts: 82
    Options
    Silk vanilla unsweetened almond milk is amazing. I also like almond yogurt. As for cheese, nothing serves as a good substitute, to be honest. You could try soy cheese and see if it is to your liking, but it probably won't satisfy the craving.
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In my fridge right now I have Almond milk, Veggie cheese slices and Soy ice cream. I am not really even trying to eat dairy free, i just like the way all these things taste over dairy products!
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    I love almond milk! I especially love the almond-coconut milk blend..yum!

My favorite, too!
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    In an effort to clear up my face I am going to give up dairy for a few weeks to see if it (acne) goes away.

I drink lots of 1/2 and 1/2 (In coffee)

I LOVE Chobani yougurt

I eat quite a bit of laughing cow cheese spread and some cheese on sandwiches

I eat ice cream or frozen yogurt

I need some good suggestions to replace all of these. I have tried coconut cream and soy creamer for coffee. It's okay, but does not taste creamy enough. I am not afraid of fattening things, I just want them to taste as good as the original deal. I already plan to get almond mik to replace regular milk because I know that stuff taste good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

never was a coffee drinker so never used half and half and can't suggest a replacement

If you are near a whole foods, they sell these really tasty almond milk based yogurts called Amande, i never had Chobani, but I like Amande

There are also Daiya shreds which are great dairy substitute. And Tofutti cream cheese is honestly a good substitute for a creamy rich cheese flavor.

and I love eating Soy Dreams Mocha Fudge ice cream, never now there was no dairy in it.

I've been on and off dairy products for year, mostly because the casein negatively affects my body, but I can still handle goat cheese, and that it's great replacement for laughing cow as well, but not sure if you are giving that up too.

hope that helps.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I actually use almond milk as a replacement for 1/2 and 1/2. It's a lighter taste, and honestly I just use it to cool the coffee down enough for me to drink it. Adds a good flavor though. I generally use the unsweetened, but the sweetened is a great, sweet drink that's only 90 calories.

You can buy vegan cheeses too, but I've never tried them, so not sure how they taste. I love cheese too much to give it up. I've just cut back on consumption of it.

There are also other types of milk like soy milk and coconut milk. I've had the soy and it's good but I've never tried the coconut, hear it's amazing though.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is great, as well as veggie slices, veggie shreds, and veganaise, you can get coconut yogurt and ices creams that are awesome!!! We love tofetti!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    oh and get the syrup flavoring like torani or da vinci in place of creamer, ... works for me..
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's by you check out their coconut milk..that's what I use for my coffee. They also have soy ice cream and cheeses that my husband loves (he is lactose intolerant).
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You can make your own ice cream really easily completely healthy and dairy free. I make it for my son a lot (he's unable to have dairy)

http://weightwars.co.uk/2012/01/healthy-vegan-tasty-ice-cream/

Alpro yoghurt are ok, almond milk is yummy, vegan cheese is the most foul stuff I've ever tasted. (sorry).

My son has terrible skin when he's exposed to dairy so you could be right about it x Good Luck
  • kaybelmore
    kaybelmore Posts: 124
    Options
    Almond milk is my favie and works well for baking also. Runners up for backing hemp, and sunflower. Runner up for flavor is flax.

So Delicious makes a Greek style coconut yogurt that is good (for me, i have been dairy free 6 years now i don't really remember what it is supposed to taste like) The only downside is that it's a little high in sugar.

Almond cheese is also my fav and it melts the best (imo) But honestly for the extra fat and cals I'm sticking with a little soy shake Parmesan when i need cheese if at all.

Another hint: Check the gluten free aisle as many people with gluten allergies/intolerance are also lactose introlerant so many of those products are dairy free :)

And, anything vegan is always dairy safe
  • laurentapia
    laurentapia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My son is gluten and dairy free. There are a ton of different options to replace your dairy, just be sure to be knowledgeable about the different forms of "dairy" (casein) to know for sure what you are eating is truly dairy free.

http://www.godairyfree.org/Product-List-Downloads.html

This link has very informative dairy free PDF's you can purchase. The one PDF that would be useful for you is the 2012 No Dairy Product List. It is the basic product list for lactose intolerance, milk allergies, and general casein-free living. A special column indicates which products are also made on dedicated dairy-free equipment, and active links within the listings allow you to click right through to the manufacturer for cross-contamination inquiries, or to help you locate the product for purchase.

This list includes a wide range of store-bought foods, including cereals, bread, snack items, frozen foods, desserts, mixes, milk substitutes, cheese substitutes, other dairy substitutes, and much more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas with peanut butter are great ice cream subs. Or frozen any kid of fruit.

Avocado is good for toppings, or on sandwiches or salad.

I like salsa on baked potatoes. Heck, I like salsa with any veggies. Or Hummus.