Kid friendly gyms ( designed for kids )

Options
Do you have one in your area? And does it do a good business?

I'll tell you why I ask. In 2007 I had a massive heart attack.... And I have been fat since I was a little kid. I have twin daughters. One is skinny as a rail, and the other probably could stand to lose 5 - 10 pounds BUT she has been slimming down as she grows. Both exercise a little, but not as much as they should.

As a younger kid I grew up in a nasty part of Philadelphia, and didn't have a place to exercise, as I was mostly confined to my street. We had no parks or even grass for at least a mile from my house. And I grew fat.

So, now I see these gyms that are designed for young kids. And I see all the heavy kids at school when I pick my kids up.

I never want my kids to go through life like I did, and for that matter, any kid.... So I am at the VERY BEGINNING of thinking about opening one of these. I would love the opportunity to help make kids healthier.

Tell me what you can, please, and what you think.

Replies

• ImJDLookatME
    Options
    I haven't seen specifically a kids gym, put there a couple places called Jumpstreet/Monkey Bizness. That is a warehouse with floor to wall trampolines. Kids love to jump around and they can even play games like dodgeball at them.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    YMCA?
  • melissa97
    melissa97 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i wish we had something like that around me!! It sounds like a wonderful idea. especially if they make it fun with games and races and sports. Im disgusted when i see a overweight child drinking soda and eatting chips at the park...put down the damn junk and play and burn some calories!! I take my kids to a open gymnastics and they love swinging on ropes into the foam pit and jumping on the trampoline or in the bounce house...they take big foam blocks and build "roads" in which they jump from one to another. Only prob with open gym is they doi it during the day when school age kids are in school!
  • fluffyfeathers
    fluffyfeathers Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i think that is an awesome idea even those bounce houses set indoors is quite a workout and fun, an obstacle course for the family is also an idea
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    I haven't seen specifically a kids gym, put there a couple places called Jumpstreet/Monkey Bizness. That is a warehouse with floor to wall trampolines. Kids love to jump around and they can even play games like dodgeball at them.

I have never heard of those.. I will google... but yeah, about 40 miles from me I know of two gyms for kids... they have kid sized exercise equipment, lots of mats to play on, and of course "party rooms".
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've noticed on weekends there are a lot of younger boys, probably ranging from 10 and up, just hanging out with their dad up at the Golds Express I go to. I see a lot of them trying to lift weights with their dads (within reason of course) which I think is great. I didn't they would allow kids in most gyms but then again I went when I was 16/17 with my parents permission.

I think we NEED more kid friendly gym, but for parents who are going to inspire their kids to stay healthy, not for people who are trying to push their kids too far or just to bring them for convenience.
  • echandle12
    Options
    Through a park district around me they have classes designed to play active games with young kids, parents are involved with some of the classes. As a teacher games like red light green light, mother may I and mr. fox are movement games that kids enjoy and don't realize how much they are moving.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Not only do KIDS love Jumpstreet, adults do too!!!! I went with my housemates a couple years ago and it was way fun to play on the trampolines for a couple hours. If you go later at night there are more teens/adults than little kids.

Anyway, I think that is a great idea you have, OP! I don't really know about kids gyms since I don't have kids, but the ones around here in CO have been around for awhile so I guess they are staying afloat.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Do you have any community centres around you? My son attends classes at a local community centre that are focused around "sports" and general movement. He does mini-sports (soccer, floor hockey, basketball, running around games), gymnastics, and general play/games that incorporate lots of getting the kids on their feet. He's always exhausted at the end of the days he goes.

Is she interested in dance at all? Or any sports? Getting her involved with anything like that will help her in so many ways. Not only her physical health weight wise, but coordination, friends, mental health, team work skills, confidence building skills.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    When I was little my mom used to take my brother and me to this place called Jammin' Gym. It was this big obstacle course/maze thing with lots of monkey bars and punch bags and stuff. I had SO MUCH FUN there! But they were closed down due to a number of injuries... I would love it if something like that (albeit safer) existed for when I have kids
  • papa3x
    Options
    Do you have any community centres around you? My son attends classes at a local community centre that are focused around "sports" and general movement. He does mini-sports (soccer, floor hockey, basketball, running around games), gymnastics, and general play/games that incorporate lots of getting the kids on their feet. He's always exhausted at the end of the days he goes.

Is she interested in dance at all? Or any sports? Getting her involved with anything like that will help her in so many ways. Not only her physical health weight wise, but coordination, friends, mental health, team work skills, confidence building skills.

I'm not concerned about just my kids, but ALL kids.

BTW, I get along great with kids. I own a DJ business and I do a lot of my events at daycare centers and preschools.... a designed music, exercise, game program that lasts for an hour..... that includes massive amounts of bubbles!
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options

BTW, I get along great with kids. I own a DJ business and I do a lot of my events at daycare centers and preschools.... a designed music, exercise, game program that lasts for an hour..... that includes massive amounts of bubbles!

Oh gawd bubbles. ANY kid will jump around if bubbles are involved!
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would have definitely loved to have something like this available when I was a kid :) Same for my brother as well! I think it's something that parents would really take advantage of so go for it :D
  • papa3x
    Options

Oh gawd bubbles. ANY kid will jump around if bubbles are involved!

And throw in Hula Hoops, like I do, and it's all good!
  • papa3x
    Options
    Bumping up for more suggestion and input. Thanks.
  • papa3x
    Options
    one final bump. Thanks.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Start your kids in sports, preferably something that keeps them running (ie. soccer or basketball). Don't start weight training until they're young teens...and even then, do very little. They can do bodyweight exercises now safely and yoga is always an option.
  • papa3x
    Options
    Not looking to open a weight training center, tho.... more along the lines of fun stuff and kid sized machines. My YMCA has a few, and the classes to use them are always full.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Do you have one in your area? And does it do a good business?

I'll tell you why I ask. In 2007 I had a massive heart attack.... And I have been fat since I was a little kid. I have twin daughters. One is skinny as a rail, and the other probably could stand to lose 5 - 10 pounds BUT she has been slimming down as she grows. Both exercise a little, but not as much as they should.

As a younger kid I grew up in a nasty part of Philadelphia, and didn't have a place to exercise, as I was mostly confined to my street. We had no parks or even grass for at least a mile from my house. And I grew fat.

So, now I see these gyms that are designed for young kids. And I see all the heavy kids at school when I pick my kids up.

I never want my kids to go through life like I did, and for that matter, any kid.... So I am at the VERY BEGINNING of thinking about opening one of these. I would love the opportunity to help make kids healthier.

Tell me what you can, please, and what you think.

My 2 yo goes to "little gym" which is sort of like pre-gymnastics. For us it's not about getting him into the gym before he's a teenager, but getting him active and into sports like we were. Swimming, Soccer, T-Ball, what ever activity we can afford he will try out. Having an active lifestyle teaches children to be active and gives them a base to pull from during later parts of their life, and teaches them time management. My mom's theory was that a busy kid doesn't have time to get into trouble. There was a little time for trouble making, but not nearly as much as many of my friends.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    in my area they do, its called mygym they have another as well but i forget what that one is called.
    i just drag my kids to the track and stuff with me tho hahah its pretty pricey.