Nikky's Homemade Mexican Chili

Options
Hi,

I am new to the site and haven't introduced myself nor have I participated in any discussions but I thought it would be nice to share my recipe seeing as chili is recommended as a food which helps you lose weight and that this particular recipe is rated as 179 calories per 1 cup according to the recommended recipes.sparkpeople.com. The nutritional information has been added to the database.

Nikky's Mexican Chili
approx., servings: 32 cups

5 cups - Lean Ground Beef
2 cups - chopped onion
2 cups - celery
2 cups - green pepper
2.5 cups - Kidney beans
2.5 cups - Mixed beans (a.k.a Bean Medley)
2 - 28 fl oz - Canned diced tomatoes
2 - 28 fl oz - canned crushed tomatoes
1/3 cup - chili powder (or to taste)
5 tbsp - Cayenne (or to taste)

Cook meat and onions until semi-brown, add half the chili powder and cayenne, stir thoroughly and cook until meat is brown. This will add flavour directly to the meat. Then add remaining ingredients, stir thoroughly and simmer for at least 30 min (the longer you simmer the more flavoured your chili will be therefore at least an hour is preferred). Remember to stir it often throughout the simmering period.

*Note: I do not use cooking oils to cook the meat and onions. I start the meat off and when its juices start to flow I add the onion and then cook until semi brown and add spices.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! I freeze it in serving size containers and it microwaves beautifully. :happy:

Nikkytoo

Replies

• likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sounds DELICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing and Welcome to the MFP family :happy:
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    Sounds DELICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing and Welcome to the MFP family :happy:

No problem. Thanks for the welcome. I started this journey some time ago and needed a little extra help going the distance. The site was suggested to me by a member and it has been very helpful so far. I figured it was time I gave back.
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    Yum, sounds tasty!
  • krhbutte
    krhbutte Posts: 246
    Options
    can't wait to make this!! Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    can't wait to make this!! Thanks:flowerforyou:

Cool... I'm really happy to see people are appreciative. Thanks. We like this chili a lot. In fact, so much so that this past winter I had it for lunch almost every other day. No Joke. It's comfort food to me. That said, I think it was a contributing factor to maintaining a 22 lbs loss throughout winter, combined with a Yoplait Source No FAT Yogourt (35 cal) and an All Bran Bar (4g Fibre) for breakfast. So, when I read the 'Foods that help you lose weight' thread, it started to make sense to me why I kept the lbs off. The yogurt and high fibre granola bar trick I found in a similar report. Oh and I switched out flavored cream in my coffee to cinnamon (which was in both reports). These were the only things I did all winter. I really slacked off on the exercise part. Bad Girl! So I blame the maintenance on these foods. :laugh:
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    Wow... I just spotted that you, likes2bwet, have only 3lbs to go.... Congratulations!! :flowerforyou:

It CAN be done !!!
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    Having chili again today... yummy yummy! Thought I'd bump up the thread.

:tongue:
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    I'm making another batch today and so thought I'd bump up the thread.

ATTENTION Shoe Divas!! This is a great low cal recipe that actually helps you lose weight by eating. Yummy if I do say so myself.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    where can I find mixed beans? or what kinds of beans are in it that I can use? Just to make it easier for me to make today can I use just kidney beans or add some black beans?

Sorry for all the questions lol
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    where can I find mixed beans? or what kinds of beans are in it that I can use? Just to make it easier for me to make today can I use just kidney beans or add some black beans?

Sorry for all the questions lol

I buy them just at the regular grocery store. There are chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, navy beans and a few others I can think of. Absolutely, the grocery store I went to yesterday didn't have the mixed beans so I picked up an additional can of red kidney beans and also bought white kidney beans instead. The nutritional information would change only slightly I expect.

Hope that helps.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Oooo chili! I <3 chili! ^^ And this recipe looks super easy too. Going to ask my dad to make me this haha.
  • jblow
    jblow Posts: 7
    Options
    Sounds good.
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    Thanks... I think so. :love:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I love chili. This sounds similar to what we make, only I add jalapenos and stuff to make it hot. I wonder how that would change the nutritional value.

I used to use tomato sauce, but dh doesn't like it too thick. He says it gives him heartburn. So, I've started using diced or stewed tomatoes and adding more water.

I'm thinking I need to buy stuff for chili next week now.

Thanks for the recipe and the calorie content!
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I just made this for dinner tonight, I no longer have taste buds but my boyfriend is in heaven!! WOW that was crazy spicey!!!!! But on the brightside my boyfriend has offered to do dishes for life if I make this for him again! It made a ton though, I'll be pulling it out of the freezer for months.
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    I just made this for dinner tonight, I no longer have taste buds but my boyfriend is in heaven!! WOW that was crazy spicey!!!!! But on the brightside my boyfriend has offered to do dishes for life if I make this for him again! It made a ton though, I'll be pulling it out of the freezer for months.

Yep it makes approximately 32 cups. Glad you enjoyed it :laugh: or rather, your b/f enjoyed it. I love chili and I love it hot. This is how my husband likes it so I actually cut down on the hot spices when I posted this. I have made it hotter. It freezes beautifully so you can keep it stored for quite some time. I eat it almost every other day for weeks after I make a batch.

:tongue:
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    Bump....

For new member 4Mommy....

Love you... good luck on this journey. You can do it!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This looks fantastic!!! Thanks! :)