Ate a Whole Domino Pizza tonight -- Only 575 Calories!

Options
And less than 500mg of Sodium!

I was able to do it at the Domino's web site under "Build Your Own" Pizza.

Lots of choices, but I chose their Thin Crust with light cheese and light sauce plus onion, mushroom and Jalapeno Pepper toppings.

What's great about the Domino site is that they have a comprehensive nutritional PDF that lists all the components of their pies (crust, sauce, cheese, toppings) along with their nutritional values. With it, you can build a pie that just might fit your diet.

Certainly not an everyday thing, but since I had 800 calories and 800mg of sodium to spare, it was a nice change from the usual fare on my low sodium (under 1500mg/day) diet. Add a Corona extra and I still squeaked under my daily quota of calories!

-- James

Replies

• spaceowls
    Options
    I didn't know about that! Ever since I began dieting I decided to cut out pretty much all pizza. I'll treat myself to some dominos pizza sometime now that I know this. Thank you!
  • hklaquadra
    Options
    NICE! I am soooo bookmarking their website as a favorite and will definitely check that out. I love thin crust pizza and there are those days that only a pizza's flavor and crunchy crustiness will cure :drinker:
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Maybe for a small pizza. That's enough to make me angry.
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Just make sure you're careful about which crust, which cheese, which sauce, and what toppings you choose. The wrong choice(s) could turn a 575 Calorie Pie into something well over 2000 calories not to mention more salt than you should have in a day.

Of course, nothing says you have to eat the whole pie, but after a somewhat spartan week -- as soon as I figured out that I had calories and sodium to spare -- the whole pie and a Corona was a no brainier and just might be a once-in-a-week dinner!

-- James
  • gp79
    Options
    I visited the site and see no option for light sauce or cheese. A small thin crust pizza with regular cheese is 880 calories.
  • timaeus_drache
    timaeus_drache Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I visited the site and see no option for light sauce or cheese. A small thin crust pizza with regular cheese is 880 calories.

Really? I see it in the options for building the pizza. Maybe it's location-based?

I don't see those options in the PDF though.
  • gp79
    Options
    If you come back to the thread, maybe post the link. This is the one I'm on.

http://express.dominos.com/pages/calculator.jsp#
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Once Lent is over, I will check it out! Thanks so much for the info ;-)
  • mariobrochill
    Options
    Maybe for a small pizza. That's enough to make me angry.

lol yeah. 575 cals for small pizza? thats like 3 poptarts.

dominos small pizza =/= 3 poptarts
  • jnbud2002
    jnbud2002 Posts: 216
    Options
    HOT DAYUM! That is awesome! lol, gonna give that a try one of these days!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Domino's is way better at providing nutritional information compared to Papa John's! I'm a loyal customer when I'm on campus.
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    The choices are given (per drop down menu) when you're in the process of ordering. The nutritional values can be found in their pdf file -- go to page bottom, click on "nutritional info" and then click on "Nutritional Details PDF"

When you get to the PDF, the values are given per the entire pie, broken down by size, crust, cheese, sauce, toppings, etc.

To come up with my calorie and sodium count, I then extrapolated/estimated calories and sodium using 25% of the stated values for "light cheese" and 33% of the stated values for "light sauce".

These estimates were based on what I would usually expect on a pizza along with a phone call to the store asking how much/little cheese did they put on their "light cheese" pizza.

I believe my estimates are conservative but if you wanted to be more exact I suppose you could go to your local Domino's store and ask the manager what proportion they use.

Actually, the pizza was a little light on cheese so next time I will call the store and ask for "half cheese". That would only add another 65 calories and 200mg/sodium if I kept the sauce light.

The nice thing is that you can really mix and match depending on your taste and of course nutritional requirements.

-- James
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Per serving?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Per serving?

Title of thread: "Ate a Whole Domino Pizza"
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    WHAT!? I never knew they had "light" options! I'm soooo excited right now!
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Not per serving, per pie! Their small pie -- the one I ordered -- is considered four servings.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Pictures, or it didn't happen.
  • gp79
    Options
    Ok off to build a pizza. If I were to order pizza it's got to be a large. Brb
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Pictures, or it didn't happen.

At this point I can only post a pic of an empty Domino Box, an Empty bottle of Corona, and a very big smile. It may not have been the best pizza I've ever had, but I can't remember enjoying one as much given my somewhat spartan diet of late!
  • blueandigo
    blueandigo Posts: 296
    Options
    A large pizza can be 1000 calories : v )