I blew it

Options
:cry:
hi everyone.. I'm not sure what is wrong with me! About 4 days ago, I weighed in at 180.8. That meant since January 10th 2012 I had a 17 lb loss.. not only was I finally starting to see results but I took measurements and lost inches and just felt SO good about myself!

Then the next day I got on the scale (same time every morning), and my weight was at 182.2, ok.. so this has happened before, and by the next day it goes back to where it was so I didn't obsess over it.. the next day was 182.4 and today 182.8! OMG... I got SO frustrated with myself, that I ate anything and everything today! I wasn't hungry, I think I ate out of frustration or boredom.. I'm really not sure why... It started with a bag of Reeces Pieces, then it was a bowl of soup.. that wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't also eat 6 slices of bread with it! Then I added in saltine crackers.. and I don't even know how many-- 4, 6, 8? I don't know.. then tonight I ate an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's. I feel like such a pig.. I feel like I'm right back at my starting weight of 197... I know I'm not, but that's how I feel right now, all bloated, my stomach is HUGE, my pants feel tighter.. and I'm so down on myself.

I know if someone else wrote this I would just tell them to start new tomorrow, but it's harder when it's ME... I can't give up, I just can't.. PLEASE SEND ME SOME ENCOURAGEMENT !! THANKS :)

Replies

• fishgoddess
    Options
    Please don't be so hard on yourself. There are a number of reasons why your weight can go up. It could be you had too much sodium, could be your thyroid, could be depression or could just be some bad food choices. Have you ever had your thyroid tested? I know one thing that will absolutely drive you crazy, and that is weighing yourself every day. Our weight fluctuates daily and anyone expecting to see a loss every single day is kidding themselves (just my opinion). I hope you feel better and stay on MFP. I look forward to your posts.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to stop weighing yourself every day because your not helping yourself. There are a lot of reasons why the number could be going up. You need to remember that it is just one why to measure your results. And if you continue making the healthy changes you av been making your are just going to keep seeing positive results. She chin up walk a away from the food as that isn't helping you. Maybe try going for a walk, doing some other exercise, chewing gum or drinking your water. You got this!
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing over Christmas and one day turned into two and I ended up gaining 10lbs in 2 months. Hungry much? You've lost 17lbs, so you know what to do to lose. Get up tomorrow and keep doing it. The more you dwell on what you've done bad, the worse you will feel. It is way easier to put on than take off, as I am experiencing right now. You can do it :bigsmile:
  • jat23
    jat23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That level of frustration happens to everyone, including me. I used to weigh myself daily also but stopped because I had the same experience as you, which was extremely frustrating. Now, I just weigh in once a week which is much less stressful. Don't worry too much about the over-indulgence, you can't change that, you can only change what you do going forward. Just remind yourself of how well you've done since January which shows you CAN do it!! Just stick with it and you'll see results. Like you said, start new tomorrow :-)
  • confuzzledwife
    confuzzledwife Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    hi and thank you.. I don't plan on giving up, I'm just annoyed with myself.. I, of all people, should know better than to weigh myself everyday.. I've been through this before!! About 7 years ago I lost a bunch of weight and kept it off for a significant amount of time, but then I became depressed over a medical issue, or I should say, numerous medical issues with my son and just turned to eating as comfort. It took me some time to get back into a healthy way of thinking and I know I shouldn't weigh myself more than once a week- and yet, it's like an obsession with me to do it every morning!

Anyhow, yes I had my thyroid checked out and all my blood work came back great! eh.. I just need to start over in the morning! Thank you again!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the right things, ups and downs are normal. You can fluctuate by as much as five pounds in a day. Don't weigh every day.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Stop. Hands up. Step away from the scale! No sudden moves.

Seriously, breathe and forgive yourself. This is a lifestyle not a quick fix. You probably got scared and freaked out. It's okay. It happened. Do better next time.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Maybe you needed the calories. It happens. I was in a plateau a while back, ate an entire pint of Haagen Dazs and lost weight the next morning. You did eat a lot of salt though so I wouldn't weigh for a few days and drink lots of water. If you're going to freek out over 2lbs, never mind point anything of a pound, you shouldn't weigh more than once a week. Why stress yourself? It's about being healthy.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on how far you've already come. Fluctuations are normal especially when you have eaten items with hight sodium contents. Make sure you weigh yourself at the same time each day (after the bathroom first thing in the morning is best as its not effected by what you have/havent eaten that day).

Dont let it get you down, use it as encouragement to continue to be active and to focus on what you've acheived so far. Try to swap items that you can see are slowing your progress and go for healthier options (eg home made versions or smaller portions). \

Just remember that the results dont appear overnight so try to limit yourself to weighing in twice weekly. Stay focused on the reasons you want to lose the weight and dont allow yourself to be negitive :) Chin up
  • angelic1123
    Options
    Yeah deffentily don't weigh yourself everyday. Weekly or every two weeks. Or don't do it at all but measure.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, this happens to SO many people. Myself included. Maybe weighing yourself everyday isn't healthy for you! Just get back on the wagon, get yourself healthy eating and exercising again, and wait a week to weigh in. Drink plenty of water to flush out the crap you ate today, and I bet you'll be happier with the number you see a week from now :)
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i did the same thing last weekend - "i blew it already, why bother trying" - so i totally know how you feel, and how it's easier to be encouraging to others than yourself! but please don't give up, and don't beat yourself up too much. you lost 17, that's so awesome. sit down and make a list of all the changes that you've seen in yourself/your body/fitness level since you lost. do you want to lose any of that? i bet not! so just keep your head up and keep on fighting. you got this!

p.s. i agree with others here, weighing daily can be a useful tool, but if you're tying too much of your emotional state into it, you might want to cut back to once a week?
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    everyone has those days, just dont let it turn into months!
  • worthdw8
    worthdw8 Posts: 5
    Options
    I definately can relate. I get frustrated by the scales 'ups and downs" so I do like you and forgive it on those bad days and then keep eating well. But I have also done the same thing when I actually "hate" my scale and eaten things that I know I shouldn't. Don't give up! Tommorrow you can make better choices.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Please...do NOT weight yourself every day.

I want to point out that you reached your point of frustration by watching your weight vary by ONLY A HALF POUND! That is eight ounces. That is the weight of a 16-ounce glass of water. NO BIG DEAL!

Fluctuations of that size happen all the time just taking into consideration normal body functions.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water each day. That will help with many things including flushing out toxins, keeping the digestive track moving and helping your cells produce energy that keeps you going and motivated.

Feel like you're getting a hunger pang throughout the day? Have a glass of water.

Hang in there! You've come this far. Keep the momentum.
  • SandyandJesus
    Options
    You didn't blow it... You have a set back. Something I learned was not to weigh myself everyday. I weigh and measure myself the after I have completed 24 work outs. That way, I am not stressing myself. I know I have lost weight because my clothes show it, but if I weigh myself, it might not say that. You may be loosing the inches, which I think means the fat... so be proud... don't do anything foolish and get down on yourself. This program keeps telling me I am under my calories for the day, but I don't always see the weight loss. I just do what I think I should be doing and hopefully I will be able to get into the clothes in my closet again. I got all this weight because I was sick.. Best of luck and I will try and keep in touch with you.. :flowerforyou:
  • Believesinmagic
    Believesinmagic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new Day for you to start over and make better choices. I weight myself everyday and notice changes like this too, but you cant let the number on the scale influence your choices on what to eat if your craving something have a taste, but not a whole bag. Be smart and leave trigger foods at the grocery store, so its much more difficult to access them in your moment of weakness. Also hard workouts and salt consumption may play a part in weight fluctuations. Best wishes for a better and brighter tomorrow...
  • aheartbeatsos
    Options
    You didn't blow anything :)
    For every two steps forward you might have to take one step back every once in a while.
    Acknowledge it and let it go. And try not to say 'Never Again!' because it may happen again and you'll feel that much worse.
    Tomorrow is a brand new day !
  • 1bigtabbycat
    1bigtabbycat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have gone through a bout of scale obsession myself. That is a no-no. Do not weigh yourself everyday. Your body fluctuates daily, depending on water intake, sodium intake, food choices ... that time of the month. There is a two week window that I don't step on the scale because of that. So you had a bad day. Forget about it. Take tomorrow as a new day and make better choices. You have the power to step back and say "know what, I am not going to eat this today". Be conscience and say "maybe I will eat half today and the other half tomorrow". That has helped me out of some binging episodes. I learned in weight watchers ... tomorrow is another day. You have another chance to make it right. Just take one day at a time. It really helps mentally when having a bad day. Good luck and congrats on your success! :wink:
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Please don't be hard on yourself - everybody has "weak days" - the trick is not to let them turn into weak weeks or weak months.

I learned in an unpleasant way not to weigh myself every day, too. I weigh myself once a week, max, and measure myelf then, also. It's working for me, so hopefully you can pick yourself back up and get back on track. You know what to do, and you know how to do it. Everybody here is cheering you on.

Tomorrow is a brand new day! :flowerforyou: