Fish? Yuck!

Options
Hey guys I need help. I want to start eating more fish, but honestly it pretty "dirty" tasting to me. I don't mind fried fish, but staying away from frying it would be great. So here I am pleading for your ideas. I have two bags of frozen fish, how shall I cook it? I plan to try all the ideas, within reason (I'm not spending $5 on a spice I'll use once), presented. So I'll be here tomorrow "Fishing" for recipes ;) thanks!

Replies

• michmill98
    Options
    What kind(s) of fish do you have?

Here's one of my go to recipes for tilapia (serves 4):

1 slice bread (white, sourdough, or wheat), torn into pieces
    1 tsp chopped fresh herb OR 1/4 tsp dried herb (I usually use dill or rosemary)
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    4 pieces tilapia
    1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    salt & pepper

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a food processor, pulse the bread, herb, and the oil until coarse crumbs form. Place the fish on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Spread the mustard on top and divide the bread crumbs among the fish. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.

Most people are surprised by the mustard but it helps the crumb mixture stay on the fish (kind of like an egg wash).
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    For sole, halibut, and tilapia I normally bake it with oregano, lemon juice, garlic powder and pepper. Easy and simple....if you like lemon.
  • Lee510
    Lee510 Posts: 46
    Options
    If the fish is carp, a delicacy in Japan, get a cedar plank. Nail the fish to the plank. Put the plank/fish in a very hot grill or oven. Cook for 15 minutes. Take the plank/fish off the heat. Turn the fish over and nail it to the other side of the plank. Put in the grill or oven for another 15 minutes. Once it's done, remove from heat, take the fish off the plank. Toss the fish in the trash and eat the plank!:laugh:

Seriously, I like fish on the grill. Get a lemon/pepper shaker for seasoning. Be sure to spray the grill with cooking spray so the fish won't stick. You can wrap the fish in aluminum foil, shape the foil like a tent to keep the steam in.
  • Only1tracie
    Options
    We use wild caught cod fillets by Orca Bay. I put 5-6 drops of lemon juice on it and some mrs.dash. I cover the plate with saran wrap and microwave it for 5 minutes. This covers the fish taste wonderfully. I too hate the fishiness.
  • applejacks1552
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question! I've been wondering the same thing. Live in and grew up in the Midwest on a very unfishy diet - not a lot of oceans around here.

But my husband is allergic to poultry so it would be nice to find another source of healthier leaner protein. Only problem being we both HATE the taste.

My only real familiarity with fish is battered and fried catfish/cod/walleye or canned tuna.

HELP! How do I cook real fresh fish - like maybe salmon or tilapia, without the "fishy" taste?
  • Lee510
    Lee510 Posts: 46
    Options
    Here's one of my go to recipes for tilapia
    After seeing tilapia on "Dirty Jobs", I don't eat it anymore. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever have. Swore it off forever after that episode!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I had to train myself to like fish. If you take a mild white fish and bake it in a puttanesca sauce you won't taste the fishiness at all. Another thing I like to do is grill it and pile a lot of fresh mango salsa on top.

You can also make broiled or pan fried patties that are similar to crabcakes. Just take some cooked fish, break it into pieces, and mix gently with panko, mayonnaise, maybe an egg to hold it together, and whatever flavoring you want (lemon juice, hot sauce, fresh herbs, diced onions or peppers, etc). It stays together better if you let the formed patties chill for an hour first.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    sautee some onions in a pan to help sweeten them up some, lay them over the top of the fish and give a few squirts of fresh lemon or lime and bake it till it's flakey, then add another squirt of the citrus on top.
    or
    you can make a glaze out of pancake syrup and brown mustard and coat the fish and bake til flakey.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Try grilled/baked salmon or snapper saute'ed in garlic and olive oil. The garlic and olive oil helps any sort of fishiness however snapper isn't "fishy" along with Salmon when cooked right with proper seasoning.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I love tilapia with (combo one)lemon, thyme, and oregano, also (combo two) celery salt and parsley. Try baking it just watch how long the fish is in the oven for or you won't have much left - did this a few times left it in for just a couple of minutes to long and it shrank to about half it's original size.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    For sole, halibut, and tilapia I normally bake it with oregano, lemon juice, garlic powder and pepper. Easy and simple....if you like lemon.

These are my favorites; their flavors are mild, as well, so there shouldn't be an "dirtiness." Remember not to let these sit too long in the acid of the lemon, or else the meat's texture changes. Also, a simple spice rub (Pappy's) is a nice addition.
  • itsanot
    itsanot Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like to use a non stick frying pan, use a little pam spray and about a teaspoon real butter lay the fillets in the pan and fry them adding maybe a little old bay seasoning and always a squeeze of fresh lemon right before it is finished!
  • michmill98
    Options
    Here's one of my go to recipes for tilapia
    After seeing tilapia on "Dirty Jobs", I don't eat it anymore. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever have. Swore it off forever after that episode!

I used tilapia as an example considering it's one of the more common white fishes. Sorry I didn't specify that other white fish such as striped bass could be used too. I've also done this recipe with trout, catfish, cod, and mahi mahi (the last two take a bit longer since the filets are usually thicker). I personally like it with trout or tilapia, it just depends on what is available.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I like to make a pineapple jalapeno salsa and serve with either plain grilled fish (salmon, tilapia, and catfish all work, probably others too), or blackened fish (rubbed with blackened seasoning before grilling); recipes below. My husband used to hate fish, but he LOVES this pineapple salsa, so I used it to convert him :wink: (p.s. it's also awesome with chicken and pork, especially ham)

Pineapple jalapeno salsa:
    1 can pineapple chunks (avoid any with sugar syrups) or 1.5-2c fresh pineapple pieces
    1/4-1/3 of a medium onion
    1 fresh, firm red or green jalapeno pepper
    1 tbsp lime juice
    1 tsp dried cilantro or oregano*
    salt & pepper, to taste
    Drain pineapple chunks and chop into small pieces. Add finely chopped onion (I like red onion; about 2-3tbps will do) and finely chopped jalapeno (seeds removed if you don't want it too hot; you can also use only half the pepper if you choose...I like a lot of heat). Add lime juice, cilantro or oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper to season. Mix well and store in refrigerator (for best flavor, let it rest and chill for at least 1-2 hours before use).

* Cilantro tastes like dish soap to me, so I use oregano in all of my salsas (and it's delish). If you're a fan of cilantro, go ahead and use it, but if you're like me and cilantro tastes bad to you, just use oregano instead.

Blackened seasoning:
    2 teaspoons ground paprika
    4 teaspoons dried leaf thyme
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to your taste
    1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Mix together and store in a jar in your spice cabinet. I got this from http://southernfood.about.com/od/seasoningrecipes/r/blbb251.htm, looks about like what I use.
  • MichelleKacz
    Options
    I have a few methods I like using when cooking fish … 1. poaching fish in coconut milk is really yummy, I add fish sauce, garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, ground cumin and coriander to give it a bit of a Thai taste and it’s best serves with a variety of stir-fry veggies like peppers, baby corn, mange tout, broccoli etc.. 2. fish braai (bbq), but you could also do the same in the oven, just place your fish on some tinfoil and spice it with whatever you fancy, I like salt, pepper, parsley, smallish knob of butter or a tbsp. olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon; then seal the tin-foil (forming a bag) and bake. 3. Homemade fish cakes – steam your fish, then flake in a bowl together with a boiled potato, beaten egg, tablespoon breadcrumbs and whatever spices you fancy, then shallow fry in a pan or bake in the over until brown. 4. Smoked salmon is great on its own or on crackers with cottage cheese and raw veggies on the side. 5. Tuna fish mixed together with a grated apple and a tbsp. lite mayo over a baked potato is heavenly. I could get really get carried away when it comes to fish, but I won’t (lol), that’s enough for you to work with for now
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Alright guys it's arrowtooth flounder fillets, took 4 out. . . What am I doing?
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of trying tofu or soya? Both are great sources of protein and they dont taste like fish!
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I probably eat fish every day - my favourite is salmon

fresh salmon fillet - wrap it in foil with some butter and lemon, put in oven for 15 minutes - fab!
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump for later!