Lunch at McDonald's.....WOW.

Options

Replies

• EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    This is what I did to solve that problem...Looked up the local fast food joints nutritional info on the web, created 3 meals that I would be comfortable eating, and wrote them in a small notepad, that I kept in my purse or glove box. When faced with eating fast food, I knew what I could eat without the guilt, or was willing to make the difference up with exercise. We always have a choice, doesn't always mean that we'll make the best decision, but we learn from it and start anew in the morning. The boxes and wrappers do have nutritional information on them, but by then it's a little too late. Make up for it with exercise. Be prepared, then you'll never be shocked.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    .....but I didn't have a choice. .

nonsense

Well......my choice was either eat at mcdonald's around lunchtime....or not eat until 9pm. Glad I chose to eat. Could have made better choices AT mcdonald's though.

Wish it were a law to post nutritional values (never saw any posted in KS, OK, MO)......flyer on the trays were blank on the back.

I ate well the rest of the day. So it's not a big deal.

It's a federal law if you're in the states...
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The Southwest salad is pretty good.

A McChicken sandwich is 360 cals....a 6 piece chicken McNuggets is under 300 too.

You can get oatmeal and iced coffee (around 400 calories) yum!

I've totally been in situations where I "had to" eat there- If I'm with my family and they stop there...I'm not going to skip lunch or dinner when I am hungry.

I've met friends there and gone there for lunch with work people- I'm not going to refuse to go. There are healthy options and healthy meals, you just have to look it up ahead of time.

I lost 30 lbs. in 3 months and had McDonalds about once a week with my friends from work. I just got salad and coffee- never a burger.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,307
    Options
    My lunch today......cost less than $3.50 and was 900 calories. I knew it'd be high.....but I didn't have a choice. Wish they'd post nutritional info. I asked......they didn't have any flyers. :o( Tomorrow is a new day.

In NY all of the calories are posted at McDonald's.... I wonder if that's a law?

Same here in Australia....
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    This is what I did to solve that problem...

stay out of that cesspool. you have better choices at a gas station
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My lunch today......cost less than $3.50 and was 900 calories. I knew it'd be high.....but I didn't have a choice. Wish they'd post nutritional info. I asked......they didn't have any flyers. :o( Tomorrow is a new day.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you have a smartphone, there's an app called restaurant nutrition that has nutrition info for just about every major restaurant/fast food chain out there
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    And since i have kids and I'm out running around all the time I have gone to the websites of all the fast food places in the area and in a small notebook I have made a list of low calorie things from each place with the amount of calories. I keep it in my car and only order off my list. It has really made a big difference in the amount of calories I eat while I'm away from home.
  • ohsweetcalamity
    ohsweetcalamity Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Even without someone handing you a pamphlet outlining the exact caloric values, you should probably be able to remember that beef, cheese, bread made entirely of sugar and sawdust, and deep fried potatoes are probably less healthy than a salad, even drenched in dressing and croutons and niblets and cranberries and whatever else they cram in there.

"Cheeseburger and fries.... now is that in the healthy or not healthy group? I just can't remember! Panic!"

Seriously, why would you post this if you didn't want to be held accountable?
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

nonsense

Rude and not helpful.Tthough if it makes you feel better to pass judgement, you could just keep it to yourself next time. Better yet as others have done, offer a suggestion that adds to the conversation.

Thanks. ^^^^^^

Even with a crazy caloric lunch.....a short workout.......good food the rest of the day....only 200 over my daily goal. :smile:
  • wdruker
    wdruker Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I thought that McDonald placed the nutrition info on the back of the paper that is placed on the trays. Now I'll have to look one day.

Last month I was there and that's where I found it. I practically choked eating my wrap that I thought wasn't too bad. I should have had a kids hamburger and apples.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you have a smartphone, there's an app called restaurant nutrition that has nutrition info for just about every major restaurant/fast food chain out there

Things like this make me so sad that my phone is of merely average IQ. :-(
  • triadvocate
    triadvocate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I totally understand as a social worker I used to run into the "eat out" or "skip lunch" dilemma. SO what I started to do was pack a container ( or a zip lock bag) with salad stuff. If I'm working alone I"ll usually leave it in my truck. If I'm out with another worker I'll just bring it with me and eat it while we are between clients. It's really simple and you always have a choice.

My simple lunch :flowerforyou:

2 cups of spring mix
    tyson or foster farms grilled chicken strips (*** the chicken strips are already cooked)
    craisons and/or glazed walnuts. ( depending on your fat limit--you might want to skip the nuts. fat is fat on this thing after all)

pack spring mix/ spinach separately ( a baggie full doesn't take up a lotta room
    put the chicken in tuperware
    just bring the whole bag of crasians they not only GREAT on a salad and as a snack.
    I never bring dressing so that eliminates a problem all together.

It's also easy to carry cut up apples. peppers. and various other veggies for snacks as well. I hate to say it but there are very few "good excuses" to eat fast food if you know how to pack for your day.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options

nonsense

Well......my choice was either eat at mcdonald's around lunchtime....or not eat until 9pm. Glad I chose to eat. Could have made better choices AT mcdonald's though.

Wish it were a law to post nutritional values (never saw any posted in KS, OK, MO)......flyer on the trays were blank on the back.

Not all states. Heck. Not MOST states.
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Thanks. ^^^^^^

Even with a crazy caloric lunch.....a short workout.......good food the rest of the day....only 200 over my daily goal. :smile:

Good for you! We all have those days. If it makes you feel any better, on my birthday this past friday I went over by about 1000 calories -____- (needless to say there's been a lot of lettuce in my meals these past couple days!)
    Tomorrow is a new day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

nonsense

Rude and not helpful.Tthough if it makes you feel better to pass judgement, you could just keep it to yourself next time. Better yet as others have done, offer a suggestion that adds to the conversation.

ha...you are passing judgment on me. feel better?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. There are times really in social settings we have little to no choice.
    2. There are times when we may be a bit over our calorie count for one day -- it is OK... We can either make it up another day or have it banked from a day prior. The key is not to make it a habit.
    3. When I go to Mickey - D's, I opt for the grilled chicken and can usually get it under my caloric needs for the day... Not too bad and much more feasible than the Angus Beef I USED to opt for.
    4. Hmmm, I wish our energy for our cars were that cheap --- Almost 3 calories per penny....
    5. Calories really are not bad. We need to get that out of our thinking (within reason)... Our dietary lifestyle is an economy... We need to have outflow for the input... dead even (on average) for weight maintenance and for reduction.... more outflow. We can increase exercise and accomplish our overall goal. That being said... sometimes, we will be over our allotment. That is OK. It is only one day. It is when it becomes a LIFESTYLE that it becomes a real issue.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

nonsense

I agree^
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

nonsense

Not all states. Heck. Not MOST states.

Yeah NC and SC do not have info posted on the menus like people are talking about in NY. I wish they did, it would make things easier when I hit restaurants that I'm not so familiar with. Thankfully I can *usually* look up info before I go, except for some restaurants that do not provide it at all (ugh like Ruth's Chris - no telling how much I ate on my date night this weekend, but that was a planned 'high calorie day' simply b/c I knew I wasn't going to stay under with that rich food), but it would be so helpful to see a number right there on the menu.....
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    This is what I did to solve that problem...

stay out of that cesspool. you have better choices at a gas station

Are you serious?? You must have some nutrition friendly gas stations. Gas station food scares me.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    here in California they post the nutritional values on the menu...but either way, i usually opt for the grilled/classic chicken w/o mayo...maybe eat 1/2 the bun (cause let's face it - it's a pain in the *kitten* to eat a sandwich without any bread!). then get coffee, water or a diet coke and maybe eat a few of the apple slices. total around 400 (prob less).