Lunch at McDonald's.....WOW.

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    This is what I did to solve that problem...

stay out of that cesspool. you have better choices at a gas station

Are you serious?? You must have some nutrition friendly gas stations. Gas station food scares me.

peanuts...beef jerky..yogurt...milk...all available at most every gas station and all much better than over processed chemicals and grease from Mcdonals
  • Sparkz1920
    Sparkz1920 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    im on the road a lot with my kids....when i go to mcdonalds i get a grilled chicken classic and throw away the bun and a diet coke....you could get apples too.....

^^^^ This

i still eat the bun. i think the entire sandwich is like 240 calories. Chicken, lettuce mayo and the bun. Its pretty tasty too
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    get the yogurt for a dressing on the salad
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    All the burgers are full of trans fat. It's not just about calories.
  • mrsgroove
    mrsgroove Posts: 44
    Options
    .....but I didn't have a choice. .

nonsense

Rude and not helpful.Tthoubut gh if it makes you feel better to pass judgement, you could just keep it to yourself next time. Better yet as others have done, offer a suggestion that adds to the conversation.

ha...you are passing judgment on me. feel better?
    Yeah, I feel a little better...Thanks for asking. I realize the irony. I'm sure you've had alot sucess (though there is no way to tell since your profile is all private-tized) and you only want to help people improve their health so I vote we put DAVE in charge of bustin' chops. A little tough love is probably what some people need. He can't be a bad guy, he has kittens on his profile pic.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    All the burgers are full of trans fat. It's not just about calories.

the chicken is so full of preservatives and chemicals to make it tasty anyone would gag if they saw them on a plate

bottom line...you get what you pay for...it isnt cheap because they love us...they just want you to think its "not that bad". It is truly scary garbage and should be avoided at all cost.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    This is what I did to solve that problem...

stay out of that cesspool. you have better choices at a gas station

Are you serious?? You must have some nutrition friendly gas stations. Gas station food scares me.

peanuts...beef jerky..yogurt...milk...all available at most every gas station and all much better than over processed chemicals and grease from Mcdonals

True!! To eat peanuts for lunch would be a change in our American thinking. lol There are alway better choices, we just have to be prepared to make them.
  • ohsweetcalamity
    ohsweetcalamity Posts: 78 Member
    Options

nonsense

Rude and not helpful.Tthoubut gh if it makes you feel better to pass judgement, you could just keep it to yourself next time. Better yet as others have done, offer a suggestion that adds to the conversation.

Yeah, I feel a little better...Thanks for asking. I realize the irony. I'm sure you've had alot sucess (though there is no way to tell since your profile is all private-tized) and you only want to help people improve their health so I vote we put DAVE in charge of bustin' chops. A little tough love is probably what some people need. He can't be a bad guy, he has kittens on his profile pic.

Lmao.... but I wanted to be in charge of the chop-bustin'. Really though this is all a bit ridiculous. Suggestion for tomorrow's headlines? How about " A lady eats too much McDonalds somewhere in the midwest: INTERNET CHAOS ENSUES."
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Can't remember the last time I was at McDonald's before today. I worded my OP poorly. I DID have a choice at what to select at McDonald's. But if I wanted to eat.....McDonald's was my ONLY choice.

I don't regret eating there or what I ordered. Love, love, love their fries and sweet tea......McDouble was okay. Gotta do what you gotta do in a rush.

At the end of the day.....only 235 over my daily calorie goal. No big deal. But now that I think about it.......I do regret getting the tea. It's almost midnight and I'm still awake.

And if it's a federal law, like many have posted......to post nutritional info.....many states are not following.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I thought that McDonald placed the nutrition info on the back of the paper that is placed on the trays. Now I'll have to look one day.
    they do here in Canada
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Even without someone handing you a pamphlet outlining the exact caloric values, you should probably be able to remember that beef, cheese, bread made entirely of sugar and sawdust, and deep fried potatoes are probably less healthy than a salad, even drenched in dressing and croutons and niblets and cranberries and whatever else they cram in there.

"Cheeseburger and fries.... now is that in the healthy or not healthy group? I just can't remember! Panic!"

Seriously, why would you post this if you didn't want to be held accountable?

This is so not true. And it has been proven time and time again. There are a LOT of salads that are way worse than a burger or other sandwich options. I can't believe you've never heard this before. Check out some of the salads at fast food and other chain restaurants and compare them to the burgers. Here are some links to just a few articles that did such comparisons (but there are tons more out there):

http://consumerist.com/2007/05/the-myth-of-salads-why-why-fast-food-salads-arent-necessarily-going-to-help-you-lose-weight.html
    http://947thewave.radio.com/2010/08/11/six-salads-that-do-more-damage-than-a-burger/
    http://www.thatsfit.com/2011/05/11/9-salads-calorically-worse-than-a-big-mac/
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38741683/ns/today-today_health/t/restaurant-salads-are-worse-whopper/#.T1b4o4fPGAo

And check out these links too:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/myth-or-fact-the-salad-at-fast-food-joints-is-the-healthiest.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-299653/McDonalds-salad-fatty-burger.html
    http://positively-healthy.com/583/making-choices-burger-vs-salad/

Do some research. Don't throw blanket statements like that out there. That kind of advice could actually hurt someone who would have gotten a 300-700 calorie burger and ends up ordering the 1000+ calorie salad instead and eats the whole thing (because it is only a salad, after all, so how can you go wrong, right? Eeeeeek!!!!).
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options

nonsense

Lmao.... but I wanted to be in charge of the chop-bustin'. Really though this is all a bit ridiculous. Suggestion for tomorrow's headlines? How about " A lady eats too much McDonalds somewhere in the midwest: INTERNET CHAOS ENSUES."

Hahahahahahahaha...yes, exactly. So OP made some bad choices. He/She knows it, has owned up to it, and is moving on. So WHY can't the rest of us move on?? Come on, tell me that the rest of us have never ended up eating something that wasn't the best choice?
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    a few hundred calories one way or another is not going to make or break a diet. What will is what happens afterwards, if the mistake strengthens your resolve and you learn from the mistake it is fine, if one mistake leads to another and another then that is when the problem manifests
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My lunch today......cost less than $3.50 and was 900 calories. I knew it'd be high.....but I didn't have a choice. Wish they'd post nutritional info. I asked......they didn't have any flyers. :o( Tomorrow is a new day.

Yep, tomorrow is a new day. You ate some fast food, went over your daily allotted caloriesby a couple hundred and are now back on track. I don't get why some people are freaking out like you ate battery acid for lunch.:laugh:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If we go to Mc D's I have a Big Mac and a side salad - the Big Mac is 490 cals, 1/3 of the sachet of balsamic dressing on a side salad (10 cals) is another 8 cals and a diet coke adds 4 = 512 calories. Big deal!

Checking my facts when writing this I discovered that a Big Mac in the States has 570 calories. I knew that you had smaller pints than we do (had a surprise the first bar we went in...), but I didn't know that you had smaller calories too :drinker:
  • alocin1709
    Options
    Wow ...lots of comments!
    I didn't read them all ...and if you do then good on you.

Sometimes I get a little disappointed that in our society choices for food and its price can be really challenging.
    Good on the Golden Arches for having a menu that is affordable and venues that are many and varied.
    Shame the nutritional content isn't more eater friendly, not just for those changing weight and eating patterns but for society as a whole.
    We here in Australia have an obesity issue, our country consumes too many calories and our weight is not in healthy ranges ...yet the fast cheap name branded food instury continues to flourish ...go figure?.

Best wishes on your journey for change ...to one and all :)

p.s. I have the app on a smartphone and check calories out before making choices ...sure has helped me make hard (for me) choices around what I may consume :)
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Wish it were a law to post nutritional values (never saw any posted in KS, OK, MO)......flyer on the trays were blank on the back.

They're typically on the walls near the registers or on the wall on your way to the bathroom. I haven't been to a McDonald's (or any other fast food restaurant) in the past 10 years that didn't have them posted somewhere.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I get a grilled chicken caeser salad without croutons or dressing and it's 180 cals.

Then if I feel like it I also get a small fries which is 230 cals. So 410 cals + a bottle of water, and I feel like I've had something 'bad', but I haven't.

Mcdonalds would actually be my first choice fast food place *because* they have low cal options.
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    New Zealand McDonalds have several of the burgers' nutritonal analyses on the wrapper - you just check which burger you have eaten and check the appropriate chart ...
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you have a smartphone, there's an app called restaurant nutrition that has nutrition info for just about every major restaurant/fast food chain out there
    [/quote]

Thanks for that... I've downloaded it! :)