Sea Kelp Tablets any one used?

Options
I have heard that Sea kelp is good for weight lost? has anyone tried it?

Replies

• LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm just trying it now - my brother swears by it, although he doesn't have an ounce of fat on him anyway!
    I tried it around 3 years ago, when I seriously did NOT need it, and I found that it was just giving me really bad stomach-aches. My brother said you have to take it with food and I've never been very good at regular mealtimes but now I'm giving it another go. Would love to know other people's thoughts :)
  • richelliott1
    richelliott1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was looking at taking these and read that they can cause acne, really interested to see if anyone has any experiences.

Green tea works great for people I know and I've started on those today!
  • Thanis90
    Thanis90 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I used them last year, as did my mother. Neither of us found it to be very helpful.

To be honest, I think the only way it would aid in weightloss is by vomiting. (They taste horrible!) :P
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Not for myself but they are part of my dog's holistic diet and she is very fit and well! :wink:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Ah, that would explain my nice shiny coat and wet nose, then :laugh:
  • TaniaW74
    TaniaW74 Posts: 27
    Options
    I tried them and they did nothing for weight loss apart from give me stomach cramps which put me off food.
  • fluffy925
    fluffy925 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes i take them, , is an excellent source of minerals from the sea, particularly iodine which is very important for the thyroid gland to function properly, also as a bath herb for cellulite and weight loss support,. and finally, Kelp is a food adjunct, which improves intestinal flora, as a result of which an increase occurs in the assimilation of other foodstuffs in the consumer. Kelp can supply daily requirements of carotenoids, vitamins A, B1, 2, 6 & 12 and D and pantothenic acid.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump, as have read they help slow metabolic rate, with the iodine.
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ive never tried but know a few people who have and say they dont make any difference...not enough to waste your money on anyway. You should also be careful if you have or have had any thyroid issues as they are not reccomended.

I know we all want a magic pill but really the only thing to work is good diet and excercise. In my opinion anyways :)
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'd urge a little caution of supplimenting with kelp unless you know for sure that you are iodine deficient (most noticeably there will be a swelling at the base of the throat called a goitre). It is extremely unlikely that someone will be iodine deficient if they live within a hundred or so miles of the ocean (iodine gets absorbed by the plants we eat and animals ingest, therefore becomes available in our meat we eat).

Overuse of iodine can actually suppress thyroid function and cause hypothyroidism. I looked into all these things when I was diagnosed hypothyroid (underactive) a few years ago. Using seaweed in the bath or as a face mask/cellulite reducer is a different matter. Last night I was floating around in my bath like the little mermaid with my epsom salts and powdered seaweed :happy:
  • georgiafirthhh
    Options
    I know that this post was a long time ago but i started taking these tablets around May and although I have not really lost much weight, I haven't gained it either which is usually a probably for me, it's mainly maintained my current weight. But taking them does make me less hungry before meals so I don't tend to eat as much as I did. They have made my hair grow quite a significant amount very quickly! It's also very shiny and is in great condition