Do you knees click?

Options

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Mine do, and it was innocent at first, but I'm 25 now and sometimes when they click, it does hurt. After doing more yoga, I found that they click less, so it may be helped by strength training. Bad knees do run in my family at every weight.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    yep!!!
  • Heatherz131
    Options
    Mine do - apprently it is something to do with me being double jointed (hyper mobility) and my knees sometime feel as though they are trying to bend backwards (ie the wrong way) but it is annoying rather than painful and worse when I'm tired....
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else who has posted, I have clicky knees too. Sometimes it sounds like something snaps but it doesn't hurt. My family has a history of knee problems so I guess that's what I have. So times some clicks in my upper leg/hip too when I do certain movements.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yep, mine do. My son's does as well - I always know when he is trying to sneak out of his room!
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yep part of life really!
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Any of you got fallen arches (on feet) or flat feet? Apparently that might be a factor in the clicky knee stakes.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    My knees always have since my teens, I am 36 now. The only thing I can recommend is strengthening the surrounding muscles if you have pain from it. I also take swiss joint soultions for any joint pain associated with it. I recently had it starting in one of my shoulders and it was painful but strengthening the rear delts is helping with that. Make sure that if you are training any muscle group you train all the muscles surrounding that joint so in the case of knees the quads and hamstrings to keep things in balance.
  • Angela_Freeborn
    Options
    My knees click and grind, only because of my weight, i ruined them. Doc says I now have arthritis in my knees and im only 34yrs old:( sad eh! he tells me when im older i may need surgery, but at this point here in Nova Scotia unless extreem cases with someone my age and weight they will not fix them, so now im in pain every day. Boo :(
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Mine have since I was very young before I was even in my teens. Every time I squat down they make a crunching sound so loud and kind of embarrasing as people think my legs are breaking or something. My mom's have always done the same thing. There is not enough fluid in the joints. I have been regularly taking joint supplements, glucosamine chondroitin, leg strengthening exercises and drinking enough water daily and it has actually eased up a bit.
  • LOUISEC90
    LOUISEC90 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem since I can remember!

I went to the doctor to get him to check it out and he said there is a problem with my knees tracking system so when I bend it then put it straight it needs to pop a little to get back on the right course. He said there is no danger of it getting worse but if I want to correct it I would need to see a physiotherapist.

Hope this helps!
  • ladyoni
    ladyoni Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think I once read that joints clicking is caused by dehydration, not sure if that is really true.
  • voodoo_lady
    Options
    Yes! I was concerned so I asked my kettlebell instructor and he said it was nothing to worry about!
  • patricknsmith
    patricknsmith Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My knees are horrible. They sometimes will do that when I squat and kneel, but if I crawl on the floor it sounds like you're taking bubble wrap and twisting it to make it all pop.
  • KristieLynn007
    Options
    My knees, ankles, shoulder clicks and I was told by my otheopedic that as long as you are not expericning pain it is usually ok.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Mine used to click badly, but now only infrequently. I think it could be because a) I now have proper arch supports, b) I now am properly hydrated, c) I now warm up and stretch properly and d) I take my omega 3 and others every day. Also dropping some weight didn't hurt either.
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    My son is 7 and his knee is so loud. Mine crack all the time. I am having a real problem with my left knee with pain, but if I stand straight while walking, I am good.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My shoulders, knees, ankles, wrists, and neck, all do it and have for the past 15 or so years. As long as there is no pain involved you are fine, if you experience any pain you may want to see your doctor.
  • Malrose01
    Malrose01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My knees have clicked my entire life. I asked the doctor about it once, and he said it was just my kneecap sliding a little and not to worry about it. It's a little unsettling to hear something like that, but apparently it's normal. So, no worries. It has never affected my performance in any kind of activity, and has never hurt.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You CAN get rid of crepitus, for those of you who have the rice krispy crunch. Lots of direct, intense massage over a couple of months. Not for a long time, but a few minutes at a time. You have to get under the kneecap as much as possible. I massage around the knee and mobilize the kneecap every night before going to bed. The crepitus disappeared after doing this for about a month.