Friends exaggerating their workouts?

Options

Replies

• Myles_D23
    Myles_D23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I thought we were here to help others with the similar goal. Should I put that I burned xx amount of calories because I walked to and from car when I got to work? No. I really don't care how you choose to burn it off but in the long run honesty will win.

Yes I have 7 friends because I'm not going out of my way to get more friends. My gf and the whoever is my friend on here is all I need. Anyone else who chooses so is just bonus. Hmm didn't think that was an issue in this topic...
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Why would you care if others are lying to themselves?

^^^That!!

Their lying isn't affecting your weight loss/muscle gain is it?
  • AlbionLass
    AlbionLass Posts: 136
    Options
    I can easily burn 2000 calories in a 2 and a half hour cycle ride. (Guaged through gps cycling app and MFP) There is no way I'd eat back that many though, maybe 30 percent.

I always use a couple of means of tracking workout calories, take the lowest estimate and then subtract a bit more just to be safe.

Obviously a 260lb person will burn more calories doing a given activity than a 140lb person.

It's important to keep whatever means you use to calculate calories burnt up to date with your current weight and to take the readings with a pinch of salt.
  • mcathyr
    mcathyr Posts: 1
    Options
    45 minutes of dog walking burns 200 and some calories, 10 minutes on the stair stepper burns 80, so to burn over 3000 calories, you would have to exercise for 8-10 hours... HUUUUM????
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Ya... sometimes it happens. But I'm not the workout police so who am I to judge?
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    :noway:
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I guess a different viewpoint is that, perhaps they aren't lying, but are just mistaken. They might appreciate the knowledge as they might be wondering why they aren't losing weight when as far as they can see, all their numbers stack up.

Personally I would mention it, tactfully, once, then leave it at that.

If they are lying then they will continue, if they believe you they might ask for more info, or just straight out take your advice, if they don't believe you they won't, but you've done your bit.

And for those who say why care, well because we're on here to help each other. What's the point in adding someone as a friend if you don't care about what they do or have to say.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Those are the people who will be REALLY disappointed in their progress on weigh-in day.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's definitely an eyebrow raiser. I ordered a heart rate monitor to get better readings so I hope I can input that information soon.

But as other said, it's really none of our concern if they lie to themselves. If they wonder why they aren't getting results, then you may want to gently point it out to them.
  • martinking1983
    Options
    Just stop moaning and delete them! :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Calorie burns are different for every person due to weight. Also if a person isn't using an HRM and going by the particular machines estimate or MFP's estimates for that matter-calories burns will be higher and inaccurate.

if you truly are asking because you care-address this with your "friend".
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I log my exercise on MFP, it estimates the calorie burn based on my weight and the activity. Therefore, I'm not personally saying how many calories I burned - MFP is. When I see some of the numbers, it makes me giggle since it seems exaggerated to me. However, since I exercise for reasons other than calorie burn, I'm not eating back all of these calories and I don't know how to "correct" MFP, I just leave it be. Your friends may not be the ones exaggerating - MFP might be doing that for them.
  • AlbionLass
    AlbionLass Posts: 136
    Options
    At the end of the day if you/they are losing at a rate you're/they're happy with then what your/their newsfeed says doesn't matter.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Honestly if it truly is a exaggeration.. they are only hurting themselves. But to each his own, I am here to offer support to my friends on here...not pull apart their statuses. IF they asked for advice, THAT is when I would nicely bring up the calories burned.

Also another thing... IF they don't have a heart rate monitor its very likely MFP is over exaggerating their calorie burn for them. What I would say is if you are truly concerned I would maybe ask them about it, and see if they are using a HRM. Remind them that without a HRM it is very hard to estimate the cals burned and they may want to estimate on the smaller side. OR if they tend to eat their cals back don't eat them all back until the are positive they are burning that much.
  • 50nfit124
    50nfit124 Posts: 21
    Options
    LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • modgirlrachel
    modgirlrachel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have too much time on your hands dude.
    Don't worry about what other people are doing unless they ask you for advice.
  • jenhowse1
    jenhowse1 Posts: 49
    Options
    Yeah I saw a 3000 odd calorie burn on someones diary earlier, thought maybe they decided to stay up all night exercising or something lol.

I've logged a few sessions with this kind of calorie burn.
    But they were for 100k rows on teh C2 rowing machine which took just under 8 hours and one 24 hour row - so yes I did stay up all night exercising!
  • viviennemayer
    Options
    I couldn't honestly say wether or not someone was exagerating their calorie burn. I will say that most of my exercise buddies at the gym are sometimes there for at least 2 to three hours. They use the crap out of the oliptical which burns about 100 calories in 10 minutes and they're on it vigorously for at least 1 hour. Then they're doing weight training and the treadmill or zumba. If you know for a fact that they're not putting in that kind of time at the gym then let them know when they complain they're not seeing results, otherwise let them figure it out on their own.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I BURNED 7 MILLION CALORIES TODAY.

just kidding. but seriously, if you really care about it, talk to them.
  • tashakk86
    tashakk86 Posts: 81
    Options
    I might call the person on their exaggeration, but I wouldn't worry about it.
    Exaggerating their workout is the same as neglecting to log in food they ate.....they are just lying to themselves, and in the end, they aren't doing themselves any favors.

If they feel good about deceiving themselves, then far be it for you to dispute them.
    In the end, you might just want to delete them from your friends list.
    If they can't take this seriously, then you don't need them as part of your circle.
    i agree completly. there not hurting anyone but thereselves.