New runner... buying shoes?

Options
I hesitate to call myself a runner at all, but I aspire to be one. I'm getting ready to start Week 3 of the C25K and I am very motivated to stick with it. I *want* to be a runner. I've been reading a lot lately and it seems that everyone who runs is recommending that new runners get fitted at a running store for good running shoes to suit their running style and gait. Which brings me to...... since I am barely a runner at all and still developing a style and gait, should I wait a few more weeks before thinking about shoes?

I'm running inside on a treadmill right now (its cold here and I'd like to be actually able to run a bit before moving outside so I don't make a fool of myself ;)). I'm sure that running on the treadmill with its cushioning is easier than running on pavement but also I don't want to hurt myself. The shoes I'm wearing are high quality trainers and fit very well, but they are not "running shoes".

Runners, what do you think? Can I wait a few weeks before buying shoes? Or is that a set up for trouble?

Replies

• rgoodman1979
    rgoodman1979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I say the sooner the better. You'll be amazed at how you'll feel running in a good pair of shoe. They're totally worth the $$. They're not so custom that a few weeks will make a difference. They'll look at how your foot lands and if it rolls in, out or not at all and then make several recommendations as to which shoe is good for that. I started running last March and bought mine in May, wishing the entire time that I'd done it a lot sooner.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    You need to go ahead and get fitted with a pair of running shoes. I actually injured myself by running (week 5 of C25K) in cross trainers (high quality) instead of running shoes. I had to take a full month off from running to allow my ankle to heal up enough for me to start running again.
  • kchabby76
    kchabby76 Posts: 65
    Options
    If you go buy a running magazine you can get lots of info on them. My old boss was an avid runner when I began running myself. She introduced me to Asics Gel Kayano, pretty expensive but definitely the most comfortable pair of running shoes I have ever tried!
  • NeilWin
    NeilWin Posts: 21
    Options
    Don't quote me on this, but I think your running style is already set. It's the same run you've had all your life. When I startd running I had some Nike Air Max and they weren't good enough. I realised this when I bought a pair from a good running brand. Asics. I felt like I was running on air, and they greatly improved my times and distance. I've never been to a proper running store to have my running analysed, but I definitely will next time. It would only improve me.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Agreed...go get fitted for a good pair. They make such a difference.
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you have a gait whether you are a new runner or not. everyone who walks has a gait. it's just a fancy word for your way of walking.

your gait is heavily influenced by your foot/arch. for example, i have an EXTREMELY high arch. this causes me to put more pressure on the outsides of my feet and my ankles tend to bend out.

running on a treadmill is easier than running on, say, concrete, but a good pair of shoes will really do wonders to your run. i don't know that you need them ASAP, but i would recommend getting them as soon as possible. not having the proper support and cushioning can cause injury.

i got new shoes my second week of c25k when i started getting shin splints. as soon as i put the new shoes on, problem solved! it also helped my speed. :)

hope this helps.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The sooner you get good shoes that fit your feet and the way they move the sooner you'll wonder why you waited. I got mine about halfway through C25K and only because the soles were falling off the nasty old shoes I was using. As soon as I put the new shoes on I couldn't believe the difference. My knees and back and shins felt 1000% better and my feet just had to run as soon as the shoes went on them.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You should get shoes right away. Especially as a new runner, you should go to a store that specializes in running, hopefully one where they give you space to run and try them out. A trained professional can help you find the right shoe for your foot and how you run.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same. Am in Week 6 of couch to 5k. Shoes are okay, but I definitely feel I should get something a little more supportive.

Roll on, pay-day....!
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I would get them as soon as possible, and take a pair of your current shoes tha have some wear on them. A good running store owner will be able to tell by the wear pattern on your shoes how you run. Your gait is your gait and it's not going to change much. He should also be able to tell if you should get some custom orthotics. Better yet, go to him and ask if it's better that you wait.
  • soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ASICS! Go to their site and find which one fits you best and go buy some! Thank me later.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm also a new runner doing C25K, and I HIGHLY recommend getting fitted for new running shoes as soon as you can. When I first started running, I was doing it in shoes that didn't provide the level of support I needed. Since I've had three knee surgeries, proper support is VERY important to preventing injury and making running the best experience possible. Although your current shoes may be ok, you will be able to feel the difference when you get fitted for ones that are best for your body. I've found that I've been able to run farther with less pain. It's not a cheap investment, but I highly recommend it.
  • NeilWin
    NeilWin Posts: 21
    Options
    Yes, take your old shoes to the store as well. Asics always seems like the most popular brand and they don't have to be expensive. Mine cost me £40 ($60) and are money well spent. Tell the people at the store you have a budget of say £40 - £60 and they'll get the best shoes for the price. I would also recommend good running socks. They will save you from blisters. Again, these don't have to be expensive.
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    Since you are already running on a treadmill you may be able to try some out as well. I know at Gary Gribbles Running Sports store they encourage you to try them indoors on a treadmill a few times after they get you fitted and you buy, so you know if they really are the right ones for you, and if not you can go trade them in for another pair. :) I was wearing asics at first because they were the most comfortable shoe I had ever worn, but about 4 weeks in to C25K I wanted to get a new pair since mine were old to begin with, and Gary Gribbles put me in Brooks, and I will never run in Asics again! I do still love them for walking and for their style though! :)
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some shoes, I'd definitely go to your local sports shop for a first pair so you can learn from them what type you need.

Don't forget to keep track of the mileage on each pair of shoes and replace when the need arises - generally between 350 and 550 miles. Which reminds me, I need a new pair.
  • Julie_9
    Julie_9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree the soon the better. I run inside and out and I love my Asics. Now there are different types of running shoes depending on whether your feet turn in or out. Asics makes both. They may be alittle pricey but it is money well spent. Happy shopping!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    The sooner the better! I wear Nike free runners and love them. Super light weight and flexible.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some shoes, I'd definitely go to your local sports shop for a first pair so you can learn from them what type you need.

Don't forget to keep track of the mileage on each pair of shoes and replace when the need arises - generally between 350 and 550 miles. Which reminds me, I need a new pair.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I dunno, barefoot running is getting really popular ;)
  • loseramy68
    loseramy68 Posts: 102
    Options
    Yes - definitely get to a running store and have them fit you for shoes. It is amazing the difference that makes. Bring in an old pair of tennis shoes so they can see where the wear spots are and that will help them determine what kind of support you need in a shoe. And don't hesitate to spend some cash to get a good pair. Bad shoes can mess up your entire lower body.