I've been walking but now..

Options
I finally started trying to fit some exercise into my life and started taking a 30 minute brisk walk each evening. I've done this for only 4 days now and now something is up with my right knee. The pain is mostly at the back of my knee and is more uncomfortable with my leg extended rather than bent. What do you think? Should I keep walking?

Replies

• sherrymize
    Options
    I finally started trying to fit some exercise into my life and started taking a 30 minute brisk walk each evening. I've done this for only 4 days now and now something is up with my right knee. The pain is mostly at the back of my knee and is more uncomfortable with my leg extended rather than bent. What do you think? Should I keep walking?
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Take it easy for a few days and if it doesn't improve, see a doctor.

Good luck and congrats on the exercising :flowerforyou:
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    Have you had problems with your knee in the past? It might help if you buy a knee brace at your local pharmacy. Other than that it never hurts to see a doctor if it last more than a week or so. Just take it slow. You wont want to start your new phase in life with an injury right off the bat. Good luck with your walks. Melissa
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Only can give you my experience I just started walking 35 min a day 3 week ago after not really doing any exercise at all for over 1 year almost two. I had to start off with slow (dog walking) walk and I am increasing it as I feel is comfortable. Seeing a doctor to confirm would not hurt. :wink:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. :flowerforyou:

yep.:flowerforyou:
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    I always obey the first commandment of exercise..."if it hurts, don't do that".

I've had surgery on both knees and even though I can ride a bicycle 100 miles in a day, I can't walk more than a half mile or so without knee pain. Cycling, swimming, and the elliptical trainer are all pretty knee-friendly exercises, if it turns out you have excessive cartilage wear, arthritis or any of the other common knee problems. Of course excess weight is also really hard on your joints in general.

If you do decide to keep walking, Icing after exercise and anti-inflams help, too. And good shoes!

Good luck.
  • JJAE53
    JJAE53 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree with others on this one. You might rest it to see if the knee improves. If it doesn't, definitely see a doctor. I have had trouble with one of my knees, and rest helps it. At the first sign of a problem, I wear a brace--not the kind that slides over the knee. Hope this is something really minor. Best of luck!
  • sherrymize
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I guess I'd better try something else for a bit like bicycling. I've had knee issues in the past (many years ago when I was fit) when I did lunges. I just thought walking was great because it didn't feel like real exercise...it was enjoyable.
    I definitely don't want to make matters worse.
    :flowerforyou:
  • poubre
    poubre Posts: 32
    Options
    Does it hurt when you squeeze the area? Is it warm and red? Can you feel anything swollen and tender behind your knee? What does it feel like? Is it a shooting pain when you extend your knee or a dull aching pain as you extend it?

If you sit on a bed, and have someone push your toes toward you, does that make it hurt? The knee pain you had when you were younger, does this feel similar to it or is it a completely different pain? When you were younger, was it in both knees or just that one?

I'm no doctor, but I'm a 3rd year medical student. I can try to help if you can answer some of the questions =). If not, good luck with the exercises! Definitely do something else if walking doesn't work!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like tendan stiffness. Do you stretch out before you walk? You should. But seeing a doctor wouldn't hurt either.
  • sherrymize
    Options
    It doesn't hurt when I squeeze it and it is not warm or red. It doesn't feel swollen or tender. It is now both the front & back of the knee and kind of feels like it needs to pop or something. It is not sharp, just kind of achy and uncomfortable.

Does not hurt if someone pushes my toes toward me. It does feel similar to the pain I had when I was younger (which was in both knees). It eventually went away after I stopped exercising but I need to do something to get fit again.

I'll take any advice you send my way.

Thanks!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I also have knee problems, my entire life, and yes, I know I am young. But I know I can't walk as long as others or stand, etc. My knees won't even let me climb a flight of stairs without being in dire pain. Some things are avoidable. If you are going to walk, only walk a distance where you can walk back and not be in pain.

Try wearing those arthritis patches (heat) on your knees when you walk.

And for me...I decided to avoid walking. I know that you probably can't get to a cross-trainer or elliptical machine but I can only walk (anywhere) for about 20 mins and on those other two machines I can go a good 1 1/2 hrs - because it doesnt put pressure on my ankles and knees.
  • poubre
    poubre Posts: 32
    Options
    Like I said, I'm no doctor, but here's my 2 cents worth :)

It sounds to me like it's a lack of cartilage in your knee that's causing the pain. Basically, there's a lack of cushioning every time you step. The pain is coming from the shock of each step. Everything you described makes it sound like nothing serious is going wrong (like DVT's or anything like that).

Basically, it's pretty simple to treat:
    1) Advil/Tylenol/Bayer should work wonders but only treats the symptoms. Choose an Ibuprofen ... it works better for pain like this.
    2) Make sure to use either new shoes with good padding or buy some insoles that soften the shock of each step. I'm actually guilty of this - i need to buy some new shoes as well. They cost a lot of money, but keeps you from having to pay in medical bills :).
    3) Like someone else suggested, an elliptical machine is perfect for reducing the shock from walking (especially if it's brisk). But, if you can't get to an elliptical, make sure to pay attention to HOW you walk. Don't stomp your feet, try to get a nice roll with each step. Heel first (but not a heel strike), then roll to your toes.

If none of this works to help, then I'm definitely wrong =). Also, if you notice the pain increases from any stretches, it might be a muscle/tendon. But, it sounds to me that it's the joint and not the musculature.

Good luck and keep me posted :)

Philip
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Good shoes are very important. Probably the best for you would be a pair of good running shoes even if you are only walking.