Do I eat more calories for calories burned during exercise?

Options
I need to eat 1900 calories but when i work out its an average of around 500-600 burned calories so do I need to make up for those calories? Im confused

Replies

• smibbo
    smibbo Posts: 1
    Options
    if you update your exercise, it should automatically add the calories you burned into your daily food chart.
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I aim to eat up to within 300-400 calories of my exercise calories. So my net calories are still -300ish.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HRM (heart rate monitor)? If so, yeah, pretty much. I eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise calories.

If you're going on what MFP says, be careful because some of the readings from that are grossly exaggerated.
  • bryantraymond
    Options
    myfitness pal will subtract your excersize calories out of your already used calories thus making your allowance higher for that day... Everyone is different but I find that I actually have better results when I eat back about 75% of my expended calories.
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    Yes you should eat your exercise calories. Make sure your net calories is as close to 1900. MFP has me set on 1200, so when I work out, I eat almost all my exercise calories because I don't want to have a net under 1200 and go into starvation mode. Remember, MFP has you already set up with a defecit.
  • cbethard
    cbethard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is there anyway to keep MFP from subtracting the workout calories burned? I only ask because my Dr. has advised me to not eat them back, Again I am only doing this under close monitoring by my Dr. and would recommend you speaking with your Dr. before you do this. Every situation is different so there is not a blanket answer to this thread.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Is there anyway to keep MFP from subtracting the workout calories burned? I only ask because my Dr. has advised me to not eat them back, Again I am only doing this under close monitoring by my Dr. and would recommend you speaking with your Dr. before you do this. Every situation is different so there is not a blanket answer to this thread.

Are you sure the doctor understands that exercise isn't taken into account when MFP calculates the base calories? I'm all for taking the advice of health care providers, but they do need to have all the facts.
  • cbethard
    cbethard Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Are you sure the doctor understands that exercise isn't taken into account when MFP calculates the base calories? I'm all for taking the advice of health care providers, but they do need to have all the facts.

Yes his assesment has nothing to do with the amounts recommended by MFP, but by those he deems appropriate for my situation.

We have gone over the reports generated by MFP for diet and exercise over the past 90 days and we talked at length about the subtraction of workout calories, the direct question was " how many of the exercise calories do I need to eat back" His answer is I want you eating X number of calories a day total I do not want you re eating the calories you burn during workout, your total intake should not exceed X number of calories per day.

This is why I made sure that i recommended speaking with your Dr. since this is a little out of the ordinary and is only for my personal situation.
  • jodienc1
    jodienc1 Posts: 13
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories. that is the entire point of exercising to lose weight along with eating right. I burn an average of 950 calories a day and eat my 1200 calories a day. I track my food and have been successful thus far. Down 45 pounds since August.