Cannot lose weight and very frustrated.

Options
Hi everyone. So, in September 2011 I got to my highest weight of 165 and decided it was time to get it under control. I worked out like a fiend in the gym (and by like a fiend I mean 1200 calories on the elliptical, HR 165 kind of stuff) but didn't really count calories. I successfully lost 15lb in 8 weeks. I then basically put my loss off until January for no real reason but being lazy. In January I tried a low-carb diet, which made me feel like absolute ****. I lost about 2.5 inches a week between Jan-end of February, but only lost about 5lb despite keeping my calories under 1500 (minus a few cheats here and there).

Now, about the middle of February I quit low carb and basically went on a 40/30/30 diet. I felt much better, ate 1400-1600 per day and did p90 twice daily (I felt it was too easy). I have gone down to losing about 1 inch a week now if that, haven't lost any weight since the second week of January.

I've been told so many different things that I'm ready to lose my mind. Calorically, my weight loss should be happening, I'm burning enough that it should. I'm eating too much, not enough, working out too much, not enough, eating the wrong things, eating too much of the right things, not doing the right exercises etc etc.

Basically at this point I'm ready to just eat 1000 cal a day, work out less and MAKE something happen, even if it's losing lean mass, because I'm so tired of being stuck at the same body fat level! I'm flabby and extremely unhappy, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out with how much to eat or what I'm doing wrong, because I just cannot figure it out.

Stats:
5'1", 145lb, 22 years old, female. BMR is 1450, 'sedentary' rate (which I basically am) is 1690. I'm now eating 1000-1100 calories a day to make a 500 calorie deficit and see if that works, along with exercising less. Also, I just ordered a Fitbit (yay, tax return) so I'm hoping to get a better read on what my 'actual' burn is very soon, like in the next few weeks.

Replies

• marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Losing inches is more important than losing pounds. Do you feel stronger Do you feel muscle? If you are smaller in general, then chances are you're doing it right!
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't feel much stronger, per se. I moved from 2lb weights up to 5lb weights recently when I do the p90 strength, but on my body I'm just not seeing it. I've moved down a pant size, but I don't expect that to last because I measure my body in 6 different places and am still only losing an inch total a week now. My arms are still flabby, still have belly, still have a big fat crease on my back.. it's so frustrating. I have a bikini 'before' picture from January 30 and nothing I've taken to date looks any different at all :(
  • bethannc
    bethannc Posts: 8
    Options
    Some people have had success breaking a plateau by doing Kettle bells. or a boot camp class.
  • brendasnz1
    brendasnz1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also be weary of going in calorie deficit they say if you eat too few calories for your body it will go into starvation mode and hold onto everything you put in your mouth! I lose weight better at the higher kcal mark than too low.

Also look at WHAT you eat and your nutrition details at the end of the day - being low in vitamins/ minerals can adversely affect you weight loss as can being too high in sodium or sugars (which will convert to carbs = fat).

Do you drink plenty of water? I also find my weight loss is nil to zero if I don't keep up the water to flush everything through (stress is another holder of the weight for some people)

Otherwise trip to a nutritionist / personal trainer might be what you need to get a kick start

Good luck!
  • bosquebrewer
    bosquebrewer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you need to lift heavy. Check out http://body-improvements.com/ and search Steve Troutman's (stroutman81) posts on this site.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I used to get frustrated too, where I'd be following the plan to a T and not getting the expected results. Never made sense and was incredibly discouraging.

What finally worked for me was quitting all the plans and programs! Out of nowhere, I finally thought, "I'll just eat nutritious foods in reasonable amounts and exercise to the best of my ability, and eventually the weight will have to come off." No plan, no timeline, no judgment. I've lost more weight than I ever have before (and in a shorter period of time), have absolutely no stress or animosity toward my diet/lifestyle, and feel awesome.

For me, it was the stress and pressure of trying to conform to a program that killed me. Even when I was doing it right, I would kick myself because it wasn't easy or second nature. Your body is fully capable of being healthy, but you have to figure out what it needs. Weight loss programs work on averages, not individuals.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    I think you need to lift heavy. Check out http://body-improvements.com/ and search Steve Troutman's (stroutman81) posts on this site.

YES!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Solve your body fat problem by lifting HEAVY weights, keeping a MODERATE caloric deficit (not 1000 cal a day), and eating enough protein.

If you are serious about changing the composition of your body, you need to ditch the scale (or keep it at a minimum), take measurements and photos. Don't chase a number on a scale at the cost of your muscle mass.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you netting each day? 1000-1100 cals a day is not enough and is not healthy. You willpower muscle over fat. Take it slow
  • picimadar
    Options
    It's definitely more about composition and fitness for me than just a number on the scale, but seeing that progress is nice too, and the fact that I don't feel significantly stronger or 'leaner' is troubling.

As far as lifting heavy, I guess I'll have to start. I've been trying to become more adjusted to strength training as I've never really done it before. That's really good advice!

Also, 1000-1100 is not too low for someone who's 5'1". I have an extremely small frame, and I'm carrying a lot of excess fat for my body size. Eating this much was recommended to me before by a dietician, however that was assuming little to no exercise.

EDIT: as far as 'netting' calories, I don't pay attention to that at all. My deficit is 500-1000 depending on how much I exercise during the day, and I keep it that way. My 'net' calories are typically pretty low.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    who cares what the scale says. If you are losing inches you are getting smaller. Its not like some random person on the street is gonna come up to y ou and demand to know your weight.

I have no advice except dont get so stuck on the number especially when you have inches you are losing.
  • mbtwhite
    mbtwhite Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are probably NOT eating enough! If you are doing P90 twice a day.
    My trainer says to eat a bluk of your calories for breakfast (3-400) and make sure you are eating spmething within 25 mins of waking. Also.. sweetners will stop you from loosing weight. They destroy your metabolism by tricking it into thinking it doesnt need to break down. Also try eliminating unnatural sugars. Use agave syrup or honey or "raw" sugar if you must. Also MAKE SURE you are eating a high protein and simple carb(fruit) withing 25 mins of working out. Try plain greek yogurt and berries.. or apple w peanut butter. Otherwise you are not benefiting from your workout much at all. Your muscles NEED to be fed afterwards.
    Anyhow.. just sharing some of the things my trainer has taught me. She also says NO ONE should eat less than 1400 calories a day.. but eat the RIGHT foods. Especially if you are working out!
  • hottottie11
    Options
    It's definitely more about composition and fitness for me than just a number on the scale, but seeing that progress is nice too, and the fact that I don't feel significantly stronger or 'leaner' is troubling.

As far as lifting heavy, I guess I'll have to start. I've been trying to become more adjusted to strength training as I've never really done it before. That's really good advice!

Also, 1000-1100 is not too low for someone who's 5'1". I have an extremely small frame, and I'm carrying a lot of excess fat for my body size. Eating this much was recommended to me before by a dietician, however that was assuming little to no exercise.

EDIT: as far as 'netting' calories, I don't pay attention to that at all. My deficit is 500-1000 depending on how much I exercise during the day, and I keep it that way. My 'net' calories are typically pretty low.

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. It'll change your world :)
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should eat less, a lot of shorter girls find they really don't need that much. I myself am 5'4 and I never lose anything unless I eat 1200.
    Interval training is the best for fat loss. See if you can do 30 mins a day, 30 seconds slow and then sprint 30 seconds.
    I am in phase 3 of Jamie Eason Live Fit which has been amazing a big learning curve, and it does work, but its a big commitment.
    Everyone seems to rate Jillian Michaels dVD's.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. You should be at least 1200 cal per day. Make sure you get enough protein and healthy fats. One thing that works for me is cardio every other day (intense- if I'm not dripping sweat, I'm not working hard enough) & strength training every other day. Use HEAVY weights. Make yourself a schedule and stick to it. Do you use a hrm? I just started and noticed that I was underestimating my calories burned, therefore I hit a plateau. Starting to break thru it.

Also, try mixing up your workouts. Keep your body guessing!

Don't pay attention to the scale. I have found that looking at the scale is the best way for me to get discouraged and give up. When you are lifting weights, you won't see much of a difference on the scale, but you will look better.

Good luck!
  • hottottie11
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I never go below 1500. I've lost weight at 1800-1900 when I was really active. You can be a shortie, eat more than 1200 and lose weight.
  • picimadar
    Options
    Again, I'm just not going to argue about how much I'm eating. Saying "OMG!!111! YOU HAVE TO EAT 1200 A DAY!" is as stupid as believing that your BMI is the be-all, end-all of what you should weigh when you're not average height and average build (by which I mean incredibly stupid, in case anyone is confused).

Doing HIIT in the morning and lifting or doing strength at night seems to be the general recommendation. Now, if only I knew how to lift XD

I guess I just don't know what I'm doing wrong right now. I've been doing strength and cardio alternating days because of p90's schedule, so maybe I'm just not lifting heavy enough?

Should I be trying to burn more calories with exercise, or could I theoretically 'overdo it' because my calorie intake is already quite low?
  • picimadar
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I never go below 1500. I've lost weight at 1800-1900 when I was really active. You can be a shortie, eat more than 1200 and lose weight.

The point is that I've done this already and was NOT losing weight...
  • hottottie11
    Options
    Again, I'm just not going to argue about how much I'm eating. Saying "OMG!!111! YOU HAVE TO EAT 1200 A DAY!" is as stupid as believing that your BMI is the be-all, end-all of what you should weigh when you're not average height and average build (by which I mean incredibly stupid, in case anyone is confused).

Doing HIIT in the morning and lifting or doing strength at night seems to be the general recommendation. Now, if only I knew how to lift XD

I guess I just don't know what I'm doing wrong right now. I've been doing strength and cardio alternating days because of p90's schedule, so maybe I'm just not lifting heavy enough?

Should I be trying to burn more calories with exercise, or could I theoretically 'overdo it' because my calorie intake is already quite low?

I understand that. But you may feel, performance-wise or strength-wise, eating more may be benefial. I eat to support my activity level.

I do suggest heavy lifting tho. You'll see the most dramatic change in your body. Regardless of what the scale says.
  • picimadar
    Options

I understand that. But you may feel, performance-wise or strength-wise, eating more may be benefial. I eat to support my activity level.

I do suggest heavy lifting tho. You'll see the most dramatic change in your body. Regardless of what the scale says.

That's a good point. I look at it this way: I have about 30lb to lose, give or take. If I lose more than 1.5 or 2lb a week, I'll up my intake, but since right now I'm not losing any, I'll stay low. I want to do this in a healthy way, but I also want it to work.