New runner, need to know if this is normal. :)

Options
2»

Replies

• CindyRx
    CindyRx Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I tend to get shin splints in the first 2 weeks of walking/running. I started running 2 years ago and remember that pain for about 2 weeks. Then I got out of running for a year due to a change in job position and change in schedule. About 2 months ago I started running again finally (and worked it into my schedule since I was really missing it) and I had that pain in the first 2 weeks again. I do agree with the others though about getting good running shoes as well.
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Before you shell out an ungodly amount for running shoes, can I suggest you don't run every day. I think you are running too much too soon. I know you are enthusiastic. I was the same way when I started. You need to give your muscles and joints time to rest. It was especially true for me, since I am no spring chicken and I had some weight to lose.

Running stores are great, and the staff are usually knowledgeable. The fact is, they are trying to sell you shoes, period. It will come as no surprise that they are going to peg you as needed shoes with lots of padding and that are very expensive. This will not improve your form. It will just accommodate the form you already have.

Try taking rest days between runs and see if that helps, first. You have nothing to lose. Unless you just want to buy some new expensive shoes.
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    it's essential to invest in good quality running shoes if your going to run. Which doesn't mean you need to break the bank.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It could be your shoes, but remember you are going to be building muscles and that can actually ache a bit.
  • poppy3873
    Options
    Great job! It is normal to have some aches and pains when your starting a new excerise. Make sure you warm up with brisk walking first, AND cool down when your done. Its a good idea to have a physical before starting something new. Good luck!
  • shalad
    shalad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Super feet in your shoes should help. If you can, buy your shoes from a running sports store. They can watch you run and see if your pronating. Also you have to buy new running shoes about every 6 months to have healthy feet. You'll be able to run forever if you take care.
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    proper shoes, stretching, and REST DAYS.
    You never ran before but you've run 2 miles a day for the last week?
    Too much too soon!

^^This.

Make sure you get in at least one rest day a week, as well as cross-train. Don't just run every day. Build in a day where you work on the elliptical, bike or swim. Also, one day of strength-training also is good.
  • MrRipper
    MrRipper Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree, probably shin splints... common in new runners, especially if you do too much too fast - it takes your legs time to get used to the beating they take from the impact of running.

This. Also what TWrecks said.

Most of your running should be done at a level easy enough that you are able to carry a conversation while running. This may mean running at a pace that feels VERY slow. Or even walking. Taking walk breaks in the middle of runs is perfectly okay. Also beneficial is setting goals in terms of duration and not distance. This can help you progress without the tendancy to push the pace before your body is ready. Finally, as in any development, recovery is just as important as training. You may consider taking days off from strictly running and supplement with cross training (gym, swim, gardening....anything active). This gives your legs the recovery time they need to strengthen and rebuild.

An awesome pair of shoes may help...mostly to keep you excited about your new found hobby. Welcome to the club!! Best wishes!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Uh 2 miles a day for 8 days straight?! Recipe for disaster if you're not a runner. Every other day for the time being. And the shoes, obviously. Stretch and ice and get fitted properly (at a running store).
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    A day of rest between run couldn't hurt. I'd definitely have your shoes checked out though.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have this problem every time I have worn out a pair of shoes... in fact, that's how I now it's time to go get new ones... once I slip those new runners on my feet it's instant relief! I suggest going to a running store and getting fitted for the perfect pair, so that you can enjoy your new sport! Have fun - and congrats on the decision to start running - well done, you!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    You might want to add in Yoga it really helps me after a good run stretches out the muscles and gives you a good cool down.
  • Caitlyl
    Caitlyl Posts: 29
    Options
    Uh 2 miles a day for 8 days straight?! Recipe for disaster if you're not a runner. Every other day for the time being. And the shoes, obviously. Stretch and ice and get fitted properly (at a running store).

Again, I'm not running weekends so no, not 8 days straight.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I found the ChiRunning form very good tips for a newbie runner.