Green Tea & Belly Fat

Options
I read in Oxygen that green tea helps to get rid of belly fat... has anyone else heard this? Or tried it?

Replies

• doctork29
    doctork29 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I read an article on WebMD that explains the catechins in green tea may help with fat loss in general, but it didn't say anything about targeting specific areas like the belly...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050126/green-tea-fights-fat
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I drink PITCHERS of green tea every week and I can honestly say I don't notice a BIG difference. I don't drink it just for the fact that it's said to reduce fat but because I like it A LOT and it's better than drinking a ton of diet coke like I used to.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Interesting study, I'd like to see more studies that confirm this. One study does not make it true. But it does seem somewhat promising. One thing to note in the study (I went to AJCN.org and read it, if you want to the author to search for is Kevin Maki) is that the amount of fat loss was about the same in both groups, only the mass of belly fat was different by about 5%.

I'll reserve an opinion till I see follow up studies that confirm the results. Hopefully it IS confirmed though, it would suck if this were a red herring.
  • Meags23
    Meags23 Posts: 98
    Options
    My Aunt used to drink ridiculous amounts of green tea because "it helps with weight loss" but then found out that she had an allergic reaction to it... It was bad times... She didn't get sick, she just got tons of sores all over her legs that only went away after months of not drinking green tea.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I know it helps with weight loss (fat loss) in General, but I don't know about target areas.....................
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea and yerba mate every day.
    The caffeine is less intense than black tea or coffee and both have good antioxidants.

I don't notice any diff in belly fat except by what I eat. :grumble: :tongue:

Belly gets fatty: wheat, dairy, sugar, alcohol, no exercise! :brokenheart:

Belly gets flatty: whole grains, veggies, poultry & working out! :heart:

Go Figure!!!! :laugh: :love: :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I try to drink at least a cup of green tea a day because I've read and heard so many good things about it- including that it helps with weight loss.

I don't expect anything, including green tea, to miraculously shrink my belly.
  • MissesOfficer
    Options
    The caffeine is less intense than black tea or coffee and both have good antioxidants.

I know I definitely need to eat less breads and sugars; would make a huge difference in my belly...
    I do eat a lot of chicken and whole grains and I work out a lot... so I'm half way there LOL
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I for SURE have to let go of my yummy white french bread. I could easily eat an entire loaf all by myself! ESPECIALLY when it's warm and fresh. Oh the torture! :blushing: :bigsmile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I for SURE have to let go of my yummy white french bread. I could easily eat an entire loaf all by myself! ESPECIALLY when it's warm and fresh. Oh the torture! :blushing: :bigsmile:

That's the same reason I no longer make home made bread...there's no way I could resist yummy, warm, fresh bread...oh my.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options

That's the same reason I no longer make home made bread...there's no way I could resist yummy, warm, fresh bread...oh my.

Yowser people! I have to pretend yummy bread doesn't even exist! :grumble:
    I could easily eat a whole loaf by my own sweet self too! :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to pop in and say:

I drink 3 tea bags worth of green tea a day, and I have PLENTY of belly fat:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I drink PITCHERS of green tea every week and I can honestly say I don't notice a BIG difference. I don't drink it just for the fact that it's said to reduce fat but because I like it A LOT and it's better than drinking a ton of diet coke like I used to.

have you tried the fruity ones? I love iced lipton green tea and berry and they have another with cranberry........just something differnt for the summer. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

MY figure!:laugh: :laugh:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read about green tea says that it increases your metabolism. Not sure about the belly fat though. :smile:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same things about green tea. So, I bought the Tazo Green Ginger Tea. I usually drink the Tazo Organic Chai Black Tea. I love the Chai tea. I made my first tea bag of green tea about 15 minutes ago and am enjoying it right now! I love the flavor. I'll have to reserve my opinion on the fat loss after much more research...it's a horrible job but someone has to do it! :devil:

exercise.png