Sad, sad headline.......

Options
In today's Ottawa Citizen........

"Overweight Canadians rarely told lose weight by doctors, study finds"

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Overweight+Canadians+rarely+told+lose+weight+doctors+study+finds/6261826/story.html

You would think that your doctor has a moral and ethical responsibility to let you know you're doing something unhealthy to yourself but when I read this it made me think of my family doctor's usual line of "well, you could afford to drop a few pounds" without being very specific as to how much or by what method. It wasn't until I was referred to the Heart Institute that the doctor gave me some very specific goals in terms of weight, lipids, blood pressure etc. etc.

(Of course, I wonder how many people may have been told by their doctor and just chose to filter out what they didn't want to hear. My teenage kids have exhibit mastery of this trait.)

Replies

• mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately most of the doctors I've come across have very little nutritional knowledge. They haven't been able to provide specific advice on how to lose weight, just to eat better and exercise more. Things are starting to change with more doctors being open to alternate therapies but it is a very sad comment on our healthcare situation.