Women with big feet

Options
I want to start the C25K program but in the past I have had issues with heel pain and shin splints. I have read that a good quality running shoe can help alleviate those issues. (I am also aware that I need to stretch thoroughly both before and after running). I am looking for suggestions for a good women's running shoe for ladies with big feet. I am a womens US size 12. My feet aren't wide, so I need normal width. Any suggestions either for or against a certain shoe would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• sheddingmyfatsuit
    sheddingmyfatsuit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Find a running store and let them fit you.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am a US size 10 and I hate it. Any kind of running shoe makes my feet look huge.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 11US with relatively narrow feet. Last summer I tried on maybe 10 pairs of shoes, and the best fitting ones for me were always Asics.
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    (I am also aware that I need to stretch thoroughly both before and after running).

I can't help with your shoe problem, but actually shouldn't stretch before working out. You'll get more effective stretches and be less prone to injury if you stretch when you're muscles are warmed up, so only stretch after working out.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My BF is also a big footed runner. Asics work well on him and, judging by the shape, their women's fit is similar. You should definitely go to you friendly neighborhood running store to get fit though. Good shoes are crucial.

Also, don't be afraid to go up a size. I wear an 8.5 normally but my running shoes are a 9.5 or even a 10 in my new Pures. Your feet will swell a bit while running. And I guarantee other runners aren't looking at you agape over your larger feet. And if they are, they're a__holes. Be comfortable! Good luck with C25K, it's great!.
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    LOL, I hear that.
    I am a US size 10 and I hate it. Any kind of running shoe makes my feet look huge.
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I truly want to know too .My daughter who is 11 years old has US foot size 12. That about the last size in Payless and now I dont know where to go if her foot size gets bigger.She loves to run.
  • dcmom2
    dcmom2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Asics or Addidas are the best for big feet - I wear a 10M and sometimes like an 11M in a running shoe. I have tried Nike, NB, Reebok but none are good for big feet.
  • dcmom2
    dcmom2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Find the shoe she likes and buy online. Norstrom's is great for big feet.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 12 in womens too! I wear a size 10 in mens... I think, well it depends on the shoe... anyway what I'm saying is you should go to your favorite shoe store (Famous Footwear or The Foot Locker) and try on MENS shoes. Don't be shy. My exercise shoes are Men's nikes. They are super comfy and I love them!!!
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Im a 10 - my fave is Asics !! they have fit the best and i dont feel like my feet look like boats in them.. but I agree 100 % go to a running store and have them assess your feet and let you know what type of shoe you need - they'll do it even if you dont buy shoes from them. !!
    I am starting that program on friday (as im on nights right now - ) to compliment my days with Jillian and the 30 DS
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I am a size 11 and going to the running store for a fitting was such an eye opener. I learned three things: I wear a size 12 in women's running shoes, I was never wearing a wide enough shoe, and men's running shoes fit better. Do yourself a bit favor and let them fit you, test your stride, etc...you'll be glad you did!
  • TiltingAtWindmills
    TiltingAtWindmills Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm a size 10 and have been having a horrible time with heel pain when running. All other exercises are fine. I'm working on modifying my heel-striking ways, but I'm also looking for a new running shoe. For shin splints though, I can tell you that Saucony Grid Hurricane has solved that problem for me. My model are a couple years old, but they're the ones with the extra arch support to stabilize. It's so great to be done with the shin splints!
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try those barefoot shoes or whatver they are called. The ones with the toes.
  • LSHANDREW
    LSHANDREW Posts: 39
    Options
    I like going to famous footwear because they have a hand held computer that can do a search and tell you which shoes even come in your size. saves me the trouble of seeing a cute shoe and then getting sad that it doesn't come in a 11 or 12
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    I have size 11 feet and I have been using Asics. Love them!
  • lettymcd
    lettymcd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Saucony Pro Grid series are amazing. I'm a size 10N and they are the first shoes that have actually fit right. Another brand I haven't tried but know are excellent are Brooks.
  • mrohan1213
    mrohan1213 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 11US with relatively narrow feet. Last summer I tried on maybe 10 pairs of shoes, and the best fitting ones for me were always Asics.

I am a size 11 as well and Asics fit well and don't make my feet look any bigger then they already are.
  • BonMetz
    BonMetz Posts: 102
    Options
    Iam size 11 and I have a pair of Nike and they are mens....I also don't have wide feet but they fit really well.
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks running shoes. I went to a running store and they fit me. I normally wear a 10 but my running shoes are an 11 to account for swelling when running long distances. Good luck. You can do it. :)