Tanning- give me your thoughts

Options

Replies

• butterfly10398
    Options
    As for tanning sprays or lotions... I personally think the dove energy glow is the best..... it is more even and doesn't get the orange color that tanning lotions are famous for...
  • Kim_Diesel
    Options
    Hey, i totally understand your problem. I am a pro fitness model and figure bodybuilder and tan is something i have to be all the time. I had a bunch of precancer spots removed last year due to uv tanning. now I spray tan (but that gets EXPENSIVE to maintain). but ive found a product called Ocean Potion Bronzing Lotion. You can buy it online but you have to buy 5 at a time for $25. But it lasts forever and i LOVE the natural glow it gives you. I put it on once a day, all over, including hands, feet, joints, face and it doesnt make you patchy like most self tanners do on the joints. You dont need gloves to put it on and it doesnt stain your palms. I put it on at night and go to bed, i wake up with a good glow going on after the first 3 days of using it. i love it so much, im sold for life on this stuff :) also, if you want to try to conceal your birthmark, try Jan Tana Tattoo cover up. its for bodybuilding competitors who want to cover up stuff while theyre on stage. that stuff works pretty good. hope this helps! :)
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    There are high quality salons that offer air brush tanning with all natural organic ingredients. From what I've read, it's very safe; and from what I've seen with my own two eyes, you can't tell that it's from a hose lol

Just do your research and make sure that they use safe all natural ingredients. :smile:
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I love going to the beach. When I was younger I'd always burn (fair skin) but I loved getting a tan. When I was a lifeguard I was SO dark. I knew it was bad, but I sort of shrugged it off. Fast forward to age 30, and I looked down at the skin on my chest and I was horrified to see how damaged it is from all of those years of burning and being in the sun. I started freaking out. You see those old women who sit in the sun all the time and their skin looks like leather (yack!) I don't want to look like that!! I love having a tan and looking tan but I look at my mother who always kept her skin covered up and she looks fabulous at 65 - I want to look like that! Aveeno used to make a great sunless tanner and they discontinued it. I've tried the Jergens but I don't love it as much as I did the Aveeno. Hoping to find another type for this summer.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The amount of Vitamin D you get in a cancer bed is equal to eating a cup of mushrooms. Delicious, non-cancer causing mushrooms.

There is NO good to outweigh the bad. Those beds equal death. If you're too vain and stupid to avoid that, then that's your own fault.
  • MKloste
    MKloste Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I personnaly think that people look better when they are tan and that you actually looks slimmer if you are tan then when you are pale. I know that I will usually go tanning at the end of Spring so that I can get a base tan before summer, espeically if I plan on being outside a ton because it helps me not to burn. If you go tanning in moderation I think you should be fine and start with low mins and work your way up. If you get pink at all lets say you start with 5 mins which is normal starting out mins and do not go again the next day but if you do not get pink you should be fine to go. Also you should go for 5 mins for the first 2 times and then if you don't get pink either of those times increase your mins and keep doing this. I use to work at a tanning salon and that what I was always telling clients.and I follow that rule as well when I first start out tanning and I usually never get burnt or [pink which will help lower your risk of skin cancer!
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Please Spray tan or tan by natural sunlight. Those beds are so dangerous ( I was obsessed & would go twice a day on top of tanning by the beach or pool for my entire teenage & all through my twentys & early 30s)

Spray tan isnt as relaxing, but it lasts, its a natural shade, its faster to see a glow as where the bed takes a few times, you dont burn & most of all it is SAFE.
    Some come with scents & vitamins to help your skin. try it out but be smart & Healthy.
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree that having a tan can make you look thinner. I know you said that you're aware that tanning can cause skin cancer, but because I work in a melanoma lab and my project investigates the effects of indoor tanning, I feel obligated to put my 2 cents in. It's been shown that people under 35 who tan have a 75% greater risk of developing melanoma later in life. It's dangerous because it gives you a MUCH (up to 12 time more) higher dose of UV than normal sunlight that is not filtered in anyway (hitting your skin directly from the lamp rather than filtered through the ozone), causing more DNA damage and thereby influencing cells to potentially become cancerous. I am aware that indoor tanning does have potential health benefits, such as increasing vitamin D levels, but the truth is that most tanning beds emit less UV at the wavelength that induces vitamin D production, so you actually make more vitamin D by being in the sun. Also scary, the amount of UV varies from bed to bed and salon to salon because it's not properly regulated. I would strongly discourage anyone who uses tanning beds from continuing to do it.
  • jennifers1975
    Options
    Hi!

Not going to step on my soap box, but I am….. Spray tan, use lotion that will give you a natural glow. Tanning is sooooo not worth it… I should know I am now 5 years cancer free! Had a funny looking mole on my leg, went to dermatologist, and yep stage 3 skin cancer…. Guess where I planted my butt every time I had the chance…. In a tanning bed!

So of course you will do what you want, but believe me it is so not worth it!

Jenn
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    UV tanning is more likely to turn you orange than spray tan.

I had skin cancer at age 24 thanks to excessive bed tanning. It's really not worth it. There are so many good lotion and spray options out there that do the same thing for your vanity without the risk to your health.
  • cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I work in skin care and cosmetics, and tanning, even if its just "to get a base" or for a special occasion adds 17 YEARS to the age of your skin. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be pale than look 17 years older than i am :)
  • DreamiJeani
    Options
    My sister has very pale skin. She not outside much and she does have that ghostly look. Im outside a LOT so I cant avoid getting a nice color but I definitly wouldnt go to a cranked out light bed to do it. Considering we are supposed to use sunscreen to shield us from the natural rays it seems like a terrible idea to concentrate them and expose ourselves intentionally. I tried it once and literally 8 minutes got me red and itchy. I can be outside for HOURS before I get that level of red and itchy. You're always going to have a battle on either side, but the proof is there that tanning beds DO contribute to skin cancer.

Odd reference but Toddlers and Tiara's. Those kids get spray tanned all the time and most of them dont end up orange. Just dont go to dark. Go for the healthy glow you want. I can't imagine that the chemicals in that are super good for you either but I would definitly say safer then lamps. One mom on T*T actually found an organic spray tanner so do some research maybe you can find that too :)

Good luck and "wear sunscreen. If I could offer you one tip for the future sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits have been proved by scientists wheras the rest of my advice has no basis, more reliable, then my own meandering experience." ---Baz Luhrmann
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    Even if you don't care about cancer, sun damage ages you. If you tan, you are trading looking good now for looking awful later--wrinkles, blotchy skin, etc. It's not a trade I'd want to make.

Spot on!! I tanned for a few years and I regret it a million times over. When I was young I didn't want to hear people lecture me on wrinkles, spots, etc.. Now I soooooo wish I had listened more. I never leave the house without sunblock now and I embrace my paleness.
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a horrifying story about a tanning bed. My family owns a tanning bed and I was big into tanning as a teen. I'm super pale and I thought the color made me look better/thinner. Well, it had old bulbs for a very long time and you had to heat it up then stay in for a full 20 to do anything. Well, one day someone replaced the bulbs and I didn't realize it. I did my usual routine and thought it was odd when I got out and I was red. I had burned myself so bad that I still have scars from it. Since then, I will not go near a tanning bed. I have had really good sucess with self tanners though. Both the professional spray tan, and the home done self tanning lotions. But for the most part though I've just learned to accept my paleness. LOL Just make sure to exfoliate before doing the spray/home fake bakes and you'll be fine!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'm already brown so I don't have this problem! :laugh:

I only tan outside though. Being in those small, alien space ship-esk tanning beds freaks me out.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    The only precaution I do not take which has made an impact on my health is that I keep my eyes open in the tanning bed and do not wear the goggles. My eye sight has definitely gone down hill over the past few years.

Blindness is so sexay. :huh:

Yeah. What reason could there be to keep your eyes open in the beds? Nothing to see......??

I had cataract surgery in both eyes in my 40s because I grew up in FLA and was always out in the sun.

My next door neighbor in FLA died at age 27 from malignant melanoma.
  • courtney131
    Options
    I tan and use instant tanning lotions. I don't tan excessively but it makes me feel so much better about myself! My parents are both pretty avid tanners (natural sun, not tanning bed) especially in the summer and my dad has always told me "Tan fat looks better than white fat" hahaha
  • 1HappyRosie
    1HappyRosie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Why would you? After all the work to be healthy and you tan? Doesn't make any sense to me. Tanning is not healthy!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that the chemicals in that are super good for you either but I would definitly say safer then lamps. One mom on T*T actually found an organic spray tanner so do some research maybe you can find that too :)

Good luck and "wear sunscreen. If I could offer you one tip for the future sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits have been proved by scientists wheras the rest of my advice has no basis, more reliable, then my own meandering experience." ---Baz Luhrmann

The chemicals in there are no more dangerous than any other cosmetic we use all the time. They undergo FDA testing just like all the rest of the products we use on our skin.

LOVE the Sunscreen quote :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    A "base" tan is actually a myth. Being tan (especially from artificial sunlight) does not protect you from burning at all.