Options

Replies

• SunKissed86
    Options
    My Bronze from SupreTan.... I recommend this too :flowerforyou:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Tanning isn't that horrible. Try it out and see how you like it. Take it slowly. Don't burn yourself because that is when you increase your chance of skin cancer. take it slowly. Go somewhere with knowledgable staff and start off with a lower amount of minutes. The tan will gradually come.

AND! use a good bronzing lotion :)
    AND GOGGLES!!!!!

I never burned and tan naturally very easily. I still got skin cancer. Any tanning (even with lotion) increases this risk expontentially.
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Skin cancer is not worth the risk IMO. I have family members who own a tanning salon and still continue to tan after having melanoma removed. It's like justifying social smoking- you are still inhaling toxic chemicals reguardless of the frequency. The risk of shortening my life just so I look darker than the skin tone I was born with is absurd.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    Yes I tan... I understand that there are risks, but you know, there are risks with just about anything you do now adays.... I want to live and be happy with how I look, I look much better with a tan, you don't have to go until you look like a brown paper bag. haha! Just be happy with what you look like... Thats all that matters at the end of the day.
    didnt see this..but i definitely agree!! You can get cancer from a cell phone now adays they are saying..i dont see people throwing their phones out the window though.:huh:
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    I work in a cancer center and see a lot of skin cancer patients. SPRAY TAN!
  • christylooper
    Options
    My motto--Tan fat looks better than white fat. :)
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    i should probably care about me getting cancer more than i do, but i really just love to tan. As ignorant as that sounds, nothing feels better to me than laying in a tanning booth. It clears my skin..makes me feel thinner..i just love it!
    :embarassed: This. Except I don't use a tanning bed (anymore, tried last year and it didn't tan me at all) and I don't have problem skin so it's always clear. I just love the heat of the sun...and I won't lie, I look a h*ll of a lot better tan.... and I acknowlege the ignorance as much as the poster I quoted.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I tan a couple of times a week, but I have olive skin and I don't look like an oompa loompa...and for me, well it just makes me feel good, I like the way I look when I am tan, and it is relaxing.
  • Readytobedifferent
    Readytobedifferent Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have never tanned & never will...My cousin passed away Jan 17th only 167 days after being diagnosed with Melanoma...so i'm pretty happy with my pale skin
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Melanoma kills you dead. No tanning for me. I've learned to embrace my paleness.

I think we just still associate tan with health, I hope that will eventually change. Personally, I think paleness can be very pretty. I tan easily so even minimal exposure darkens me up but I no longer purposely tan, not after they started cutting chunks off of my father.
  • tortoise73
    tortoise73 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think the evidence on tanning beds causing cancer is pretty clear. My cousin died at 29 from this very thing. It's not worth it.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've known too many people that tan and have had skin cancer removed (most of them are fare skinned). I have olive skin anyway so I tan easy, but get a little pale in the winter, but I would rather be pale then get cancer. I have never tried the spray ons or lotions with fear of streaking, but I may give them a try this year. I love the look of being tan but don't like the effects that happen to your body over time (orange, wrinkled, leathery looking skin)
  • Porcelain1981
    Porcelain1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The sun is good, the sun gives us Vitamin D (very important) and of course keeps away SAD. :smile: Even if you don't want a tan, you shouldn't need to avoid it, just use adequate protection.

There are plenty of people who look awesome with pale skin (and defined), like Rose McGowan, Lily Cole etc. If you're concerned you look poorly with it, you might want to talk to your doctor about your nutrition (iron etc) & health.

Tanning is personal preference, sometimes I fancy it for a change, sometimes I much prefer au natural.

Fake tan does not have to mean tango, I'd say 50% is down to good application, 50% to good product. Personally use Xen Tan and a mit to put it on, they have instructions on their website for best application.

I tend to stay away from sunbeds and will only tan naturally with proper protection.
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of luck with Jergens Natural Glow. Takes about 3 days or so to show, and I've never had an issue with it streaking (I'm also veryyy careful about applying evenly.)

tan.png

Me too!! Although I forgot to wash my hands the other day after applying and it became a little orange/tan in between my fingers, so be careful about that!

I definitely recommend either that or Neutrogena mist spray - love it!
  • XOchocolate
    XOchocolate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Spray tan, or lotion, YES! If you want some color, go for it!

Cancer beds? NOOOOOOOOO Stay out of those. My dad just had a chunk cut out of his leg, for a mole that was just smaller than a pencil easer, they took out a piece of flesh the shape of a football and four inches long. NO thank you.

The lighter you are, the higher your risk. SPF is your best friend!!!

^^^^^this
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I tan a few months out of every year as it makes me feel and look better plus then I have some protection at ball games, pools, beach. I always cover my face and any spots I have on my body that do not tan (like the birthmark on my arm) then it does not look weird.

DO what makes you happy as something will kill you :-0
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Being out in the sun causes cancer, tanning beds cause cancer. either way . CANCER! Do what you want. it is your body and your life.
  • Tasha_uk
    Tasha_uk Posts: 70
    Options
    I don't have to worry about that. I was born with a tan :tongue:
  • gailashton
    gailashton Posts: 292
    Options
    DON'T TAN - Let me speak from experience. Lets see, what's so bad about it: Well you lose the elasticity and collagen in your skin, so that when you are older and lose weight your skin is saggier no matter how much you work out, wrinkles, wrinkles, wrinkles, and the biggest reason you can get skin cancer. If you're lucky you'll only have to go and have all these lovely little things that come up in your skin over the years carved out by a dermatologist and biopsied and they'll be benign or you may end up with skin cancer. I don't like to be white either. I use self-tanners and swear by them if they're applied properly. Love Hawaiin tropic medium Banana boat deep and dark. They go on smoothly. You just have to be sure you scrub your hands and the inside of your wrists with soap and a scrubbie so it doesn't stain the palms of your hands. Make sure you exfoliate before applying. No one knows my tan is fake and this is the only tan i get. I used to go get sprayed professionally but $30 bucks a pop is a lot. The stuff in the bottle is under $10 and I get 3 or 4 applications out of it, sometimes 5..... good luck whatever you decided.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I like the way I look tan. But I'm not stupid and I'd like to live a long and unleathery looking life.

http://www.multimedia-english.com/contenido/ficha/dear-16-year-old-me/3337