women trying to lean out with strength...how much cardio?

Options
123457»

Replies

• annacham
    annacham Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • wiepster
    wiepster Posts: 3
    Options
    . Also do not do cardio too long,burning over 300 cal, this will make you lose muscle instead of fat. Split the cardio up, if needed or wanted to twice a day to make sure to stay under burning 300 cal.

That is utter nonsense...I'm a medium distance runner (10-15km) and I run for up to 90 minutes or more....That's serious cardio, and I have a not too bad body composition... Definitely not without muscles....
    I also do a kettlebell workout (45-60 mins) and some weights two days a week and run 4, rest one...
    Oh, and I lost over 60lbs doing that....

If you want to build muscles, not only loose fat...there is a difference....do not overdo the cardio. I need it to do cardio to loose the weight, but make sure I only do it for 30 min, minimize cardio when I train my legs.
    For example I lost the same amount in pounds as my co-worker, but follow my program of heavy lifting and cardio on off-days. She is only doing cardio; long runs, elliptical for over 45 minutes and is looking flat, also her skin is loose, mine is not. The scale will probably be the same, but the mirror says otherwise. So it is not utter-nonsense as you stated. :wink:
    I also follow the eat-clean program, what probably helps too. Another note, I have been a body-builder in my younger years, due to life with a job and children I was lost, now picking it up again with good results. Lost 25 pounds since Thanksgiving.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I weight train every 2 days of the week if able and on those days I will throw in some light cardio. For those days in between, I'll do heavier cardio and ab workouts.

Monday- Triceps and Chest.. (sometimes I'll also throw in a quick set of something else like legs or chest.. just because).. Anyways, this is usually done for an hour and is promptly followed by 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Tuesday- Forty-five minutes to an hour's worth of treadmill, elliptical, and/or jump roping (I tend to do them in intervals though.. I get bored really quickly and start to half-*kitten* it if not. I follow this with 30 minutes.. maybe an hours worth of ab workouts.

Wednesday- Legs and butt---nuff said. An hour of this then the 20 minutes or so of treadmill.

Thursday- Repeated from Tuesday

Friday- Biceps and back exercises. An hour of this and then the treadmill for 20.

I TRY to stick to this schedule, but given that life is.. well.. quirky, sometimes I'm forced to add a day here or take an unwanted rest day in place of something. Hopefully I'm doing something right in any case.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    . Also do not do cardio too long,burning over 300 cal, this will make you lose muscle instead of fat. Split the cardio up, if needed or wanted to twice a day to make sure to stay under burning 300 cal.

That is utter nonsense...I'm a medium distance runner (10-15km) and I run for up to 90 minutes or more....That's serious cardio, and I have a not too bad body composition... Definitely not without muscles....
    I also do a kettlebell workout (45-60 mins) and some weights two days a week and run 4, rest one...
    Oh, and I lost over 60lbs doing that....

If you want to build muscles, not only loose fat...there is a difference....do not overdo the cardio. I need it to do cardio to loose the weight, but make sure I only do it for 30 min, minimize cardio when I train my legs.
    For example I lost the same amount in pounds as my co-worker, but follow my program of heavy lifting and cardio on off-days. She is only doing cardio; long runs, elliptical for over 45 minutes and is looking flat, also her skin is loose, mine is not. The scale will probably be the same, but the mirror says otherwise. So it is not utter-nonsense as you stated. :wink:
    I also follow the eat-clean program, what probably helps too. Another note, I have been a body-builder in my younger years, due to life with a job and children I was lost, now picking it up again with good results. Lost 25 pounds since Thanksgiving.

Nobody said you should do only cardio - but as long as you do resistance training with cardio - it works great! For me, anyways...I just found my stats on body comp from where I was 33lbs heavier than now - with LOTS of cardio and some resistance (2x week Jillian Michaels 30 day shed and similar interval training) - I managed to lose 43lbs in fat mass and gained 10lbs in lean muscle...for an overall loss of 33 lbs....
    Don't think that is too terrible....
    I agree that resistance training is needed, but do not bash running or longer periods of cardio....
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I do about 15-20 minutes of cardio, 5-6 times a week. 20 minutes if I'm doing steady state, and 15 if I'm doing HIIT. I also do circuits when I lift, so that adds to my cardio. I would definitely choose strength training over cardio any day.
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    for me i do max 20 min cardio per day sometimes just 15 but i run sprints to make it effective
    then lift 3 days a week. heavy, reps are at about 10 and ive added a lot more muscle then i use to have.

days im not lifting if i feel i need it ill up the cardio to 30 but no more then that .
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

If anyone out there does more strength than cardio and wants to share their schedule, I would really appreciate it. :smile:

I do 20mins of Cardio every morning and Strength Train 3 days a week and when I don't strength train I do cardio morning and cardio and Abs at nite. Friday and saturday nothing but 20mins cardio am and 20 mins cardio pm
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Annadel
    Annadel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bump