? for the Pros on new HRM...need help please!

Options
Okay, I've been stuck at the same weight for several weeks and resting a running injury. I got a Timex HRM chest strap and watch during this time. Today was my first time using it.

My BMR according to MFP is 1725. My TDEE is 2738 based on this site (http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html)
MFP has my daily calories set to the beloved 1200. (That is desk job with exercise 3-5 times a week with 2 lb week loss.) I do eat my exercise calories back each day.

I have been doing C25K walking more than running at this point. I've also been doing 30DS in the afternoon 6 days a week.
Here's where I'm confused:

TOTAL burn according to the estimate on C25K today was 610.
TOTAL burn according to my HRM was 1352! Really?? Is this why I could be stuck? I'm not eating enough?
My total estimate using circuit training for 30DS AND C25K averaged about 650-800. I would eat anywhere from 1850-2000 a day.

Could my HRM be off by a lot or have I just been underestimating all this time?

******Please don't turn this thread into a debate about whether to eat my calories back or not. That horse has been beat to death. I DO believe in eating them back. Thanks!***************

Replies

• JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    So whats the total amount of time you are working out? Walk/run and 30 DS total?

For myself, i burn thru 10 cals a minute when jogging, and just less then that in doing Ripped in 30... So for me a 30 min jog and then ripped dvd give me a 600-650 cal burn...
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    28 mins with 30 DS and 45-60 mins for C25K on average.

This morning I did 59 mins C25K.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I have "heard" the Timex HRM's are good for overestimating calories, but I personally don't know. I have an HRM.....can't even think of the brand now, but I live by mine. I'm also on the 1200/day calories and thinking about upping it slightly...only to maybe 1300. Its not that I'm hungry I'm just feeling somewhat STUCK. I'm still losing, but only about 1 lb per week. Still debating.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I got my HRM I was surprised as to how much more calories burnt it showed compared to MFP. I thought that my treadmill was already too generous as it was higher than MFP but the HRM is almost 1.8 times more, so I have definitely not eaten enough back either.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I should add i have the Polar FT40 and MFP calculations for me for circuit training and jogging at my chosen pace is close to what my hrm says, tho i burn slightly more according to my hrm. For walking, its way off tho, and i burn way less then mfp calculates for a walk.
  • rbrannock
    Options
    Just curious as to what pace you jog? I am jogging 30 minutes and my burn is only about 275 or so. I'd LOVE to burn as much as you during my jog. :)
  • rbrannock
    Options
    So whats the total amount of time you are working out? Walk/run and 30 DS total?

For myself, i burn thru 10 cals a minute when jogging, and just less then that in doing Ripped in 30... So for me a 30 min jog and then ripped dvd give me a 600-650 cal burn...

Sorry, my above post was directed at you.....!!!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Have you set it up correctly? i.e. entered your height, weight, age etc if the facility is there to do so. This can have a huge impact. Also is your Max HR entered correctly? you can work this out 220-age.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am looking forward to the responses.
  • cmp04d
    cmp04d Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had a Timex HRM and it was constantly giving me suspiciously high numbers for calories burned. I decided to ditch it and got the Polar Ft4 instead. The Polar one seems way more accurate and gives more believable numbers.
  • JodaNord
    Options

My treadmill tells me anywhere from 5.2 mph to 5.7, and my avg outdoors according to GPS is 5.5...
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Have you set it up correctly? i.e. entered your height, weight, age etc if the facility is there to do so. This can have a huge impact. Also is your Max HR entered correctly? you can work this out 220-age.

Yes. I have set it up correctly. I've checked it several times. Low set to 92 and High set to 240. My average HR was 160, Peak was 192. I was in range the entire 59 mins.
  • rbrannock
    Options

My treadmill tells me anywhere from 5.2 mph to 5.7, and my avg outdoors according to GPS is 5.5...

Awesome...great to know. I end up at 5.5 but not their the entire time...I'm still working up to that. Thanks for the info..and good job! :)
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Sounding like my brand new HRM is not accurate.....great....
  • swall0810
    swall0810 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I did a LOT of research on HRM before I bought one and the Timex did not have great reviews. I know how much it sucks to buy something and be upset its not what you thought. My suggestion would be, if you can, return it. If not, Im sorry. The Polar brand is awesome and a lot of times you can get a good deal on them. I have a Polar FT7 and I got it at D I C K S sporting goods for 56 dollars when its a 109 normally. Good luck and hope you are able to return it.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    I did a LOT of research on HRM before I bought one and the Timex did not have great reviews. I know how much it sucks to buy something and be upset its not what you thought. My suggestion would be, if you can, return it. If not, Im sorry. The Polar brand is awesome and a lot of times you can get a good deal on them. I have a Polar FT7 and I got it at D I C K S sporting goods for 56 dollars when its a 109 normally. Good luck and hope you are able to return it.

Thanks! I'm looking for all the paperwork now to return it. Someone else just posted about a Timex showing she burned 1000 in an hour. All the reviews I read on this particular model were good. IDK.