I just finished C25K and I want to pay forward advice for th

Options
The Couch to 5k program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) is a very popular one on this board for those of us trying to lose weight and get in shape. This morning I just completed the nine weeks and I have “graduated” from the C25K program. Woo hoo! For all of those who are in the middle of the program or thinking about doing it, there is hope. If I can do it, anyone can. I hated running my whole life and now I am a middle-aged overweight guy and I now have five 3 mile runs under my belt.

I tried the program once last year and made it about 5 weeks until injury and apathy caused me to stop. This time I was a little more committed and a little more prepared. I wanted to put together this post to help share along some of the advice that I gathered from this forum and elsewhere that made a difference for me.

1. Good shoes. When I tired C25K last year I just went out in the old shoes I had and eventually had very hurt knees that put an end to my progress. This time I started in old shoes again and the knee pain revisited starting in week two. I had an aversion to getting fitted for proper running shoes because of a visit several years ago to an upscale fitness store where the salesman seemed to have a dubious grasp of anatomy and seemed like a snake oil salesman pushing $200 sneakers. I went to the running store anyway and this time the salesman without a pause diagnosed some issues I was aware of and helped me find shoes that worked and also were as budget-friendly as possible. The shoes made all of the difference in the world and the pain went away even as the running intensity increased.

2. Runkeeper (www.runkeeper.com). There are lots of good apps and devices out there to measure your progress and provide coaching, but the one I picked was Runkeeper. It is certainly not the only choice. But for me, having that external metric so I could point to small, but real improvements, was really really important for me in order to make progress.

3. The right BPM music – Podrunner Intervals (http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html). It took me until Week 7 to discover Podrunner intervals, but the steady rhythm 135-145 BPM music made a huge difference to the consistency and ease of my runs. And that leads to…

4. I was running too fast and you may be too. Slow down. I started using 140 BPM music from Podrunner in Week 7 and it slowed my running down a whole lot. It was amazing how much more energy I had at the end and how easy the long distances were. In fact, I ended up doing my first 3 mile run in W8D2 because I felt so good at the end of 2.75 miles running this slower pace that I easily ran another quarter mile. As good as I felt I probably could have gone even further. The music was a real useful tool. I ended up using 145 BPM music for my week 9 runs.

5. Take small steps. I was under the impression that real runners used long loping strides. But shorter strides are easier, more efficient, and less stressful on your body. See this video for the argument: http://www.5min.com/Video/An-Introduction-to-Evolution-Running-3-29683888

6. I learned I didn’t hate running, I hated the first mile. I have running friends who talk about a running high or about the Zen of running. After about six weeks I was thinking that I just did not get it, and maybe running was just not for me. I was enjoying the sense of accomplishment but not the actual running. During each running interval I felt uncomfortable and out of breath and I spent most of the time thinking about how achy I felt and about how long until this interval would be over and I could walk again. Now that I have completed five 3 mile runs, I still feel that way – in the first ½ to 1 mile of the run. After that my mind drifts and the 30-35 minutes and the remaining miles just pass away fairly easily. I think I have a glimmer of what my friends have been telling me.

7. The middle weeks were the hardest for me. By far. I was actually unable to finish more than a few of the exercises in the middle weeks without taking short walking breaks. In retrospect part of it was that I was running too fast, but also those gains in the middle weeks are really hard. I thought about repeating some weeks, but I always ended up just moving forward with the program. It worked out for me and eventually the running became much easier in the later weeks because of the issues above.

8. The Couch 2 5k Forums (http://c25k.cze.dk/index.php). They are full of wonderful advice and encouragement. Much of what I learned above was gleaned from there.

I have completed the program and between the jogging and counting calories I have lost over 30 pounds, but I still have a long way to go. Best of luck to all of you!

Replies

• DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    gOOD mOTIVATING aDVICE
  • btb079
    btb079 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post! Just what I needed today!
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing that :drinker: . I'm not a runner at all and have knee issues, but I am debating having a go at C25K in a few weeks time. Looks like new trainers are where to start, what a good excuse :laugh:
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Excellent post ! Look forward o graduating next week & even more so for the zen running to kick in thereafter!
  • VanessaRG07
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great advice - I'm on week 6 & doing well! Thanks for the post & the motivation! :smile:
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options

7. The middle weeks were the hardest for me. By far. I was actually unable to finish more than a few of the exercises in the middle weeks without taking short walking breaks. In retrospect part of it was that I was running too fast, but also those gains in the middle weeks are really hard. I thought about repeating some weeks, but I always ended up just moving forward with the program. It worked out for me and eventually the running became much easier in the later weeks because of the issues above.

The middle weeks are most definitely the hardest. The cool Running programs are great. Did the C25K a couple of times and stepped up to the Beg10K then the Int10K and now on the Beg Half. Best of luck!
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    Awesome!

I'm training for my first half marathon in April. I HATE running this week. I have no tolerance for doing it, I don't want to put another step down on the darn treadmill. But, knowing that you had a setback in the middle of your training gives me hope that I will find my motivation again and kick some half butt! :)
  • gritsinct
    gritsinct Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'm running my first 5K next week and I'm at week 7 of the c25k and hating it this week. Last week was great, this week not so much... no idea why. I'm going to follow some of your tips in my next run and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Bump...
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    How did you know that i needed this. I am planning on starting in about a month. if the weather is good. I would like to be able to finish by the end of June. I'm very nervous aobut this c25k but i so want to try. I have only told MFPers about this and will continue to keep it a secret. I love to suprise people and well i hope to suprise myself too.
    Thank you so much for sharing your journey. You should be very proud of yourself for your accomplishment.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I love this program! I got to week 4 last year before I ended up having to quit (due to heart issues).

I'm thinking of starting again now that I feel a bit better. :) All good advice!
  • Alycra
    Alycra Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Excellent post ! Look forward o graduating next week & even more so for the zen running to kick in thereafter!

Zen running lol...starts between about miles 5 and 6, At least for me.
  • bigbhama
    bigbhama Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. I have just started week 2 which is fine. I am getting really nervous about week 3 onwards when the duration of running becomes much higher. However, your post has given me the motivation to persevere because it can be done.
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    thanks for this post! I'm about to start week 3 and I'm still thinking how do people enjoy running?! LOL

Angie
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks Im on week two and havent died yet... I do enjoy running... but I dk if thats only bc I can only do a min of it LOL