Is 7 days a week too much?

Options
Been a member since 1/2/12. Started going to the gym that same day. I go 7 days a week. 1 to 1 1/2 hours of cardio (bike, elip and/or treadmil) and about 30 minutes of strength training. Someone got on me today saying that I'm exercising TOO much! I told her she was nuts, but just in case I'm the nut I thought I'd throw it out there on MFP to see what everyone else thinks.

BTW, I LOVE going to the gym. I look forward to it every day. Missed twice since I started and my whole body felt off. Oh, and I've lost 26 pounds since 1/2/12... so how could my daily gym routine be bad? What do you think?

Replies

• lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    its probably a little excesive. but as long as you are doing different things each day(and working different muscle groups), id imagine you would be fine.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    As long as you body feels fine, you can work out every day.
    For weight lifting, you should not work out the same muscle group every day so you body has time to build more muscle mass.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    First, look at how you feel. If you feel good then keep it going, when you feel like crap take a break. Train as much and as frequently as you want without reducing your body's ability to recover from it. - C. Thibideau

You may want to balance out the strength training with the cardio a little though. Cardio is great but I'd say a good strength training will give you better overall results.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    All I would say is that realize your body does need "recovery time." That doesn't mean you have to skip days, it just means that maybe on certain days you do something other than what you usually do or at a slower, more relaxed pace.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    No don't fall into the stereotype you can workout as many days you want, depending on your intensity if your pushing hard it could take up to 30 or more days of training without a brake before you start to over train. Listen to your body it will tell you when to rest.

Do Work Son
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would go to the gym every day for 2 hours a day if I could. I like it there. But some days my husband isn't home to watch the kids. But I would say keep going as long as you feel good!
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I work out at least 4-5, I give my body a break on the weekends to recoop from the week, just make sure your eating right so it will pay off and not be a waste of time. Good Luck on your journey,,,,,feel free to add me....
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on my wall. This is from Power of 10. I'm not liking the book because the nutrition part is based on flawed conventional wisdom that I don't believe in but it will answer your question.

:During exercise our bodies get temporarily weaker, not stronger. It’s during rest that we recover and make all our gains. This is a huge, unspoken problem with even the most popular weight-training and exercise programs. Whether you’re at the gym lifting or on the treadmill treading 6 days per week, you can’t possibly have time for the rest your body needs. It’s as if you were trying to grow a delicate crystal in water, but every day you come by and shake the glass. The crystal never has a chance. In the same way, too much exercise can be just as bad for you as too little. You reinjure yourself over and over, and never let your system reset itself and recover. You get muscle tears and strains, joint problems, chronic fatigue, and weakening of the immune system, so you get sick more often. Instead of building your body, you may be tearing it down. It amazes me how many dedicated exercisers hit the wall in their fitness programs and then stay there, month after months, without knowing why. They train harder and harder, when all they need is a little more rest.”

You need to rest and recover for exercise to do its thing.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i go 7 days a week, and i got told the SAME THING!, but you know what? when i skip a day, i feel like crap!,,,,i know i am working too hard, but i like it that way!
  • JNick77
    Options
    No don't fall into the stereotype you can workout as many days you want, depending on your intensity if your pushing hard it could take up to 30 or more days of training without a brake before you start to over train. Listen to your body it will tell you when to rest.

Do Work Son

Yup.

If you want to maintain 7-days use training splits and probably slightly reduce your cardio. Here's an example
    - Sun: Chest and 20-min of cardio
    - Mon: Legs
    - Tue: 20-30 min of cardio only
    - Wed: Shoulders and 20-min cardio
    - Thur: Deadlifting
    - Fri: Back and cardio (more circuit oriented than hamster-wheel oriented cardio, LOL)
    - Sat: Cardio only 20-30min
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My take is that muscle does not repair or grow at any time other than rest. Also, joint and exhaustion types of injuries will occur over time. I say no more than 5 strength days per week and no more than 6 cardio per week. Just my take though.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on my wall. This is from Power of 10. I'm not liking the book because the nutrition part is based on flawed conventional wisdom that I don't believe in but it will answer your question.

:During exercise our bodies get temporarily weaker, not stronger. It’s during rest that we recover and make all our gains. This is a huge, unspoken problem with even the most popular weight-training and exercise programs. Whether you’re at the gym lifting or on the treadmill treading 6 days per week, you can’t possibly have time for the rest your body needs. It’s as if you were trying to grow a delicate crystal in water, but every day you come by and shake the glass. The crystal never has a chance. In the same way, too much exercise can be just as bad for you as too little. You reinjure yourself over and over, and never let your system reset itself and recover. You get muscle tears and strains, joint problems, chronic fatigue, and weakening of the immune system, so you get sick more often. Instead of building your body, you may be tearing it down. It amazes me how many dedicated exercisers hit the wall in their fitness programs and then stay there, month after months, without knowing why. They train harder and harder, when all they need is a little more rest.”

You need to rest and recover for exercise to do its thing.

Like!

Also be sure you are getting adequate nutrition. a healthy amount to lose is an average of no more than 2 pounds per week. In 9 weeks you've lost 2.88 per week. Slowing down a tad might not be a bad idea. The person who told you this has your best interests in mind. When you lose weight too fast, you become a skinny fat person.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I love to exercise, but most of the time, but my performance doesn't seem the same. When I skip a day, the next time is awesome. That could just be me!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My trainer says your body needs at least one day to recoup. He told me 7 was too many, that I should aim for 5 or 6 at the most.
  • JNick77
    Options
    My trainer says your body needs at least one day to recoup. He told me 7 was too many, that I should aim for 5 or 6 at the most.

That's crazy, everybody's body adapts differently. One's diet and external stressors impact one's ability to train just as well. No hardfast rule.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I missed 2 days in February - one for sickness and one for a family function. If i had a dollar for every time I heard "you're pushing too hard" I'd have at least 20 bucks -

You dont need to listen to what people tell you - I'm with most others here in regard to the "listen to your body" part -

I train really really hard - when I overtrain, my body responds with pain and fatigue DURING my workout....

when that happens, its time for a rest day - although I have ignored these signs more than once, and I'm still standing, still losing weight, still excited about going to the gym every day......

Should you give your body a chance to rest? probably...Will yo competely fall apart because you're having fun and working hard by going to the gym every day? probably not.

Bottom Line is you just need to pay attention to your body - it will tell you when something is wrong
  • JNick77
    Options
    You dont need to listen to what people tell you - I'm with most others here in regard to the "listen to your body" part -

Bottom Line is you just need to pay attention to your body - it will tell you when something is wrong

Can I get an AAAAAAAAAAMEN?!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    lol... I read the title line and thought "which day shouldn't we have? I mean, the leap day this year threw me off. Perhaps we could just add a month and have six day weeks?"

I'm glad I persevered. And, go you!

I know that I don't make it to the gym 7 days a week (and am doing well when I go five days of seven), but if you're happy, your body feels good, your doctor isn't horrified, and you're taking care of your nutritional and emotional needs, why would it be too much?
  • EMus29
    EMus29 Posts: 3
    Options
    Never under estimate a rest day. Your body needs it. I use to workout 6-7 a week. Now I'm down to 5 days a week. I take two rest days (Sat and Sun) which are amazing. When Monday comes I'm ready to hit my workouts hard and can usually increase weight on strength training. I don't lay around on the weekends either I just choose other activities that are not so stressing on my body.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments on my post.

If my body needs rest, I'll pay attention when it tells me. For now its telling me "you go girl". I do alternate arms, legs, abs... so I'm not working the same group daily. But as far as the cardio, on the days I feel an hour, I do an hour.... and on the days I feel an hour and a half, that's what I do.

Again... thanks =)