Bike plans and recommendations??

Options
OH_matt
OH_matt Posts: 228 Member
I'm working on a C25K plan right now to get up to running a 5K and to burn off some weight. Every now and then, my knee starts bothering me after running for a while. When that happens, I jump on a bike. The thing is, the programs on the bike don't seem to being to much for me. I don't know if I'm not programming them right or if I'm doing something wrong. I've seen people at the gym riding the bikes sweating their *kitten* off and huffing and puffing. I've done every program on the bike and followed the "resting heart rate" and "target heart rate" commands it gives me. But after 30 mins, I'm barely winded. For those that are avid bikers or used the bike a lot, please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've done some looking and seen that intervals seems to be the way to go for getting the system burning calories and working everything out. Should I come up with my own plan and do that? Really I'm just needing some guidance. I'd like to get the best bang for my buck with my time working out.

EDIT: Also, from the bikes at my gym, it says I've burned like 40-60 calories in 30-40 minutes at around 10-12mph, but MFP says its in the 200-400 range. Which is right? I could understand a small difference, but that seems extreme.

Replies

• mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    By the sounds of it you haven't set the resistance level high enough - set the program manually for time/random or whatever takes your fancy and set the level to between 5-10 (lifecycle products) you should notice that it becomes harder to pedal, adjust the level up or down depending on what you feel. HTH.
    I did 30 mins random hills , level 9 & an rpm of 100 today and cal burn was around the 400 mark according to the bike, MFP scored a bit higher so I went with the lower reading
  • OH_matt
    OH_matt Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    anyone else have some tips?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Does the bike at the gym give you the option to enter your weight? I've felt the same way, but the gym I'm going to now has these awesome "Expresso Bikes" that are more like actual road cycling than other indoor bikes and I sweat my @ss off on them compared to traditional recumbant or upright bikes. I find MFP settings to be high, so maybe just split the difference for now?
    The elliptical might be a good option for you when your knee hurts since its lower impact.

Good luck with C25K...I'm in week 4 now, but having foot pain and need to get new shoes before I can continue...
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Try a spinning class or a bike ride outside, if possible. Wish I had more advice.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Use one of the other programs... hills or distance or whatever, then control the difficulty/resistance manually. Keep increasing until you can "feel" it.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Up the resistance! It should feel like you are really using your quads - do some 8 count "jumps" - count to 8 in the saddle, stand for 8 counts at same speed, then sit again for 8 counts, keep going until winded. That gets your heart rate up, believe me. Also, if you are only doing 12 mph on a stationary bike, you are not going fast enough. Up your rpms until you are doing 16-18 an hour and you will feel it :)
  • nollie04
    nollie04 Posts: 2
    Options
    Sounds like you need to turn up the resistance - I bike regularly indoors and after warming up I stand up biking and I get a good pace going standing - up the restistance so it's not too easy and then sit back down. You want to be pedaling at about a pedal per second. This should help. You should be sweating and if you're not, crank it up more! Good luck!
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Sorry to jump in but it's related - does anyone have advice for transitioning to doing the stationary bike while standing? I find it really awkward to stand and pedal! Are the bikes they use for this type of stuff in spinning any different than the regular upright stationary bikes at the gym?? Thanks in advance.

I can't wait 'til the weather is right to get back to cycling outdoors, it's really the best and doesn't feel like exercise at all!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sorry to jump in but it's related - does anyone have advice for transitioning to doing the stationary bike while standing? I find it really awkward to stand and pedal! Are the bikes they use for this type of stuff in spinning any different than the regular upright stationary bikes at the gym?? Thanks in advance.

I can't wait 'til the weather is right to get back to cycling outdoors, it's really the best and doesn't feel like exercise at all!

You've just got to get used to it.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    rats.. thought we were talking about motorcycles here, not bicycles... *** leaves room quietly***
  • scott2178
    scott2178 Posts: 41
    Options
    I would agree with previous post to increase the level to 5-8 to start and look for an rpm around 100. In addition to those you may want to try a hills program.

I would also encourage you to try the Elliptical Trainer at the gym in addition to bike. It closely simulates running and is easy on the joints.

Good Luck!
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Are the bikes they use for this type of stuff in spinning any different than the regular upright stationary bikes at the gym?? Thanks in advance.

Yes they are different. Very different.

FWIW, the elliptical really messes up my knees, and I don't have bad knees!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    FWIW, the elliptical really messes up my knees, and I don't have bad knees!
    Strange...I DO have bad knees and I used to think it bothered them more, but I think it just took some getting used to, because it never hurts them now.
  • redhd_n_nc
    redhd_n_nc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Arc trainer since it seems to use similar muscles in biking. That is my main machine when I cannot get outside to ride. There are programs on there that will work you (strength)! I do intervals of 20/30/40 (levels) manually and sometimes mix it up with a set program. Let me know if you try it and what you think.