How many calories can be burned in a mosh pit?

Options
Going to see the Dropkick Murphies tonight. I am going to toss some folks around for an hour or two. I wonder what type of exercise that can earn me.

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    House of Blues in Orlando? I thought I saw their name on the billboard when I was down there last week.

Anyways, I think it would depend on how hard you work....and how much you're getting back up after getting knocked down. Ah memories....worse moshpit I've been in was probably The Casulties when they played at warped tour 10+ years ago. Even though there were maybe only 200 people watching them, it was brutal. One of my friends broke his cheek bone, another dislocated his shoulder, and I only walked out with a couple of cuts.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Strap on an HRM and find out.
  • danilandry
    danilandry Posts: 48 Member
    Options

For science!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

For science!

and dont forget to post it!!
  • ErynnBaby
    ErynnBaby Posts: 15
    Options
    When I saw Flogging Molly last week (At House of Blues in Orlando. AMAZING show!!!) I burned over 1000 calories just bouncing up and down and dancing for like 2 hrs. I'm sure moshing is more than that... Wear a HRM. I'm curious now!
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to go last night when they were in Atlanta! I say that burns plenty!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Going to see the Dropkick Murphies tonight. I am going to toss some folks around for an hour or two. I wonder what type of exercise that can earn me.

Ever seen them live? Great show...
  • jenniakers
    Options
    <~~~~ sooooooo jealous!!!! Have a great time!
  • hvergelmir
    Options
    Not sure about the calories, but I think I once lost 10 pounds of water (as sweat) in a death metal moshpit. Have fun!!!
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I went to an all day rock concert and wore my HRM, it said over 4000, now that was a sight for sore eyes! HAHA! (By all day it was like 9/10 am until like 10 pm... and most of it was walking and standing, not moshing...)

Another not all day concert I went to for like 4-5 hours and I was in the pit getting the crap beat out of me, I burned over 2000 for just those hours.. -so yes depends on how hard you work.

Man I want to go to a show now! Have fun!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Saw Floggin Molly in SD HOB last night, most incredibly fun show I have seen! 1000 calories for spending most of the evening in the pit would be reasonable! Just beware that you don't lose your HRM in the pit! We came up with an extra shoe and shirt last night! ;~)

I intend to wear my fitbit to Coachella this year, can't wait to see what it says for those days!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options

For science!

Dont forget to distinguish between being the lifter and the liftee when you report on your findings. Have a great big wonderful time!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I put it as Dance, typically

mosh on, my friend!
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Options

For science!

Excellent Idea!!! Please share afterwards!
  • ejanderson
    Options
    I am so curious to know! Please update after! :)
  • amblee125
    amblee125 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I went to an all day rock concert and wore my HRM, it said over 4000, now that was a sight for sore eyes! HAHA! (By all day it was like 9/10 am until like 10 pm... and most of it was walking and standing, not moshing...)

Another not all day concert I went to for like 4-5 hours and I was in the pit getting the crap beat out of me, I burned over 2000 for just those hours.. -so yes depends on how hard you work.

Man I want to go to a show now! Have fun!

I didn't even think of calories that could be burned that way! I'm going to an all day one outdoors in April. I remember going to those in the past my feet were so sore the next day from so much walking. And I drank TONS of water because it was so hot!
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The number of calories you burn is directly proportional to how many teeth you lose.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I wondered about something similar to this. My boyfriend is in a wheelchair and every time we go to a concert, I have to push people to keep them from hurting him, so it's that cardio or strength training because some of the people are really heavy? :laugh:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm jelly!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    hmm, looking for a way to justify a few extra drinks, are we? :tongue: