gaining weight, wtf am i doing wrong??!!!

Options
Last week i finally got below 90 kgs, 89.9 to be exact, and now at my mid week weigh in i have GAINED 600 grams!!!:sad: I eat fairly well, i had a crappy day yesterday, but still stayed under my cals and i've been exercising 6 days a week. I'm open for as much advice as i can get, my diary is open to anyone that wishes to take a peek. plz help!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• radionaturopath
    Options
    what are you doing for exercise?
  • celeste_xo
    Options
    It looks like you've been over on your sodium for the past few days... this might be the problem! Try to make sure you're taking in enough water to balance the increased sodium, because sodium can make you retain water. Most likely your gain was just water weight so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Good luck! :smile:
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    600 grams is within the expected day to day variation.
    Think of this: you may eat in a single day more than 600 grams of food.

Keep taking your weigh, and keep with the program, and you should see a trend down in weight to continue
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight. Your sodium numbers are a bit high the last couple of days. Watch those numbers and drink lots of water and you should see an improvement.
  • houseofcarpenter
    houseofcarpenter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    600 grams are you kidding me!?! relax it's probably just water (might want to watch the sodium)... drink shedloads of water and I'm sure it will go away again
  • p_barron
    p_barron Posts: 63
    Options
    You can fluctuate about two pounds a day (600grams is only 1.3 lbs) I wouldn't sweat it too much
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've been over on your sodium for the past few days... this might be the problem!

^^^ I concur.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    a couple of theories:

as celeste mentions- you have quite a bit of sodium, and you drink a lot of water (which is good)
    I would assume all that water is helping flush your system of the excess salt.

did you weigh yourself at a different time of the day compared to last time? because of how much water you drink it could just be water weight (and i am in no way telling you to cut down on your water consumption! stay hydrated like you have been!)

my other suggestion would be to bump up your calories just a little bit. it looks like you could eat more because of how active you are, and contrary to our intuition, sometimes eating a little more helps us weigh less.

good luck to you
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sodium issue...your sodium is insane!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Definitely your sodium intake
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors that will change your weight.
    1. If you are sore from your workout your body will retain water as it rebuilds the muscle
    2. If you are gaining muscle, this weights more than fat.
    3. That time of the month.

My weight goes up and down all the time, I just worry about how I look and feel in my clothes.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Well, according to what you say there's only 3 ways that I'd think what is wrong there:

1 - Your measuring scale has problems
    2 - You didn't count well your calories. Either that or probably you have stayed sit (or inactive) a bit too much recently.
    3 - You have measured yourself with different clothes. (some clothes might be heavier than others) just saying ;)
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    You might want to watch your sodium intake. It is pretty high, and would at the bare minimum cause fluid retention. Good luck!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates.. no need to flip your lid over every little gain.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Did you remember to poo before you weighed yourself? I find that that can make a difference.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    honestly? I think you're getting a little wonko over a fairly insignificant amount. I'll go up three or so pounds by the end of a day, sometimes more. weigh once a week, same time, with the same clothes. and if you don't lose weight, do it again the next week. because, you know what? you're working on making a healthier you. and if you are taking the right steps to do that, regardless of weight loss, it's happening.
  • Katesha234
    Options
    sodium is high... what kind of meat are you eating?? If you're eating pork bacon, try turkey bacon. Oscar Myers turkey bacon is very good.. .(the best turkey bacon to me)
    don't get discouraged!
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    First thing I saw was teh sodium. I would be willing to be you are having to much sodium and are retaining water. The best advice pay better attention to how much sodium is in your food. I have to do the same thing with sugars.
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i totally agree on the sodium but i had a full blood works done recently and my doc said my sodium was low!! He asked me to increase it because the amount of water i'm drinking is flushing the sodium from my body. But i will keep at it, i know i'm probably worrying over nothing. I do 40 mins on treadmill 6 days a week 10-20 mins bike 3 days a week and crunches and push up 3 days a week.
    i didn't actually realsie that the body fluctuates that much, i think i'll start weighing in just once a week, even though it will be tough lol