ate the forbidden fruit & totally learned a lesson

Options

Replies

• ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Eat the forbidden fruit... but make it yourself. i've finally learned (after watchign lots of diners / drive-ins and dives on Food network), the secret to the perfect burger. Don't screw with it. Get some nice 90/10 chuck, handle it just enough to form it into a patty. season well with salt and pepper. let it hang out on the counter for 15/20 min (called a rest). Grill on high for a few minutes a side, till just barely done (i really do like mine bloody, but e-coli, etc are real threats from grocery store ground meat). throw on a good slice of cheese (should you desire) just before you take them off.... :drinker: add a good beer (if you're my husband).
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    after awhile, you body won't need it or crave it. If you want a bite, take a bite... then see if you really want it and if your body accepts it. I hate it when I feel queasy too. hope you're feeling better!
  • kayhatlen
    kayhatlen Posts: 46
    Options
    I had a cheeseburger and fries from a fancy restaurant yesterday and it tasted great, but I burped the taste of fries all afternoon. I did fit the calories into my allowance for the day and hit the gym for 1 hour cardio last night. It is something I won't do on a regular basis. The craving was met and life goes on. I'm trying to not totally deny all my cravings by fitting them into my diet occasionally. The high sodium content is what really affects my weight though. I seem to very easily retain water if I eat a high calorie/high sodium meal. Not something I want to do often.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    its amazing how the body is much smarter than our brain... your body obviously relaized the toxic crap you ate and decided ...no way in hell...everybody outta the pool!
    That is so far from truth. Hamburgers aren't "toxic". It's probably psychological. Also, your body is run by your brain, so this makes no sense.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    What if you tried having small treats more frequently? I often have chocolate, cheeseburgers, and all of those other 'forbidden' foods... I just make sure to fit them in my calories. And I never get sick, either.

This.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Same thing happened to me years ago. After dieting for 3 months, friends invited me out for pizza. I was miserable for the rest of the evening. Even as I was eating it, I kept thinking; wow, this tastes SO greasy! I had 2 slices. And it was at a non-franchise joint that had been my favorite for several years. Overload on the grease when your body isn't used to it.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I had the same problem. I can eat a cheeseburger, just not from there. I think their food is just too greasy or something.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have found when I want a Burger, I don't enjoy the fast food ones anymore. But I make one, lean beef tastes better to me now. I will make Rosemary seasoned fries and wash it down with a beer.

There is no such thing as cheating. Cheating implies you can " get away" with something. You can't cheat your body, it will reflect what you do or don't do. Enjoy life and budget for what you like. Find new things you like.
  • steffschick
    Options
    The hamburger was probably fine, the grease from how its cooked can do a number on the belly.
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - the grease probably did you in. Our bodies become more more efficient when we eat right, so overloadign it with anything can cause an adverse reaction. Try a mini burger or a couple small steak tips instead of the big burger. Also, if you buy lean meat and cook it yourself on a grill it will have less fat overall. I haven't have fast food burger in years, but love my all natural angus burgers at home.
  • meghanmarsh
    Options
    I have only been on MFP for a couple weeks but I have found that I can eat what I want as long as I am willing to account for it. There have been times when I was willing to do that and times when I have not. Most days when I work out, I have calories left to spare. I think that is the reason MFP might actually work for me when everything else has failed; I can eat what I want.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    LOL if you got sick, you get a mulligan on the calories ;)

But really, it was probably the grease. I cannot eat McD's. It is sooo nasty. Burger King, Wendy's - fine.

Of course, I'm also severely gluten intolerant - so I don't eat McD's anyway. I mean, who wants hydrolyzed beef fat in their fries anyway?!?
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Next time just make your own, you'll know what you put in it, and it will probably taste better.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have gotten myself to the point where I want a BIG juicy cheeseburger instead of a fast food one. In fact they have to be very specific places that I get it from now too! :p

^^^^This^^^^

If I want a cheeseburger, I want a CHEESEBURGER...from some place that doesn't offer a drive-thru window! :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    if you got sick, your calories were restored!

Just kidding.....but I know what you mean, once your body isn't used to it anymore, the reaction is definitely different than it once was.

lol this made me laugh. I've been craving a whopper. lol Its been years since I've had one of those... maybe i'll think twice now lol

I was craving a big mac snack wrap the other night so I just made my own -- it was much more satisfying and pretty d*** close to what I was craving.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I can't stand FF burgers anymore... we have some great burger places that make REAL burger. If I am going to have a burger, I don't want a processed, previously frozen, deep fried piece of crap.
  • unapologeticallyemma
    unapologeticallyemma Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    portion control... have your chocolate, have your cake, have your whatever, make it a small piece, make it one only and enjoy the hell out of it.... You'll feel less deprived and will reduce the cases of bad food grossness
  • pb3693
    pb3693 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree that its much easier to let yourself have a "splurge" once in a while than to totally deny yourself all of the time. I splurged today and had two slices of pizza for lunch. It did a number on my calories, but really satisfied my craving. Had I tried to convince myself that tuna with a few crackers was satisfying, I would have been noshing on junk food the rest of the day to try and fill the pizza craving lol Therefore, I will add in some extra exercise to offset the pizza and start fresh again tomorrow :) Also agree with the suggestions of making burgers at home. Its so hard to beat a fresh, home grilled burger!! And your body will be much happier too :)
  • DavesKitten
    Options
    I don't forbid anything, but I do stain in my calories and don't over do it! So far so good.
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    I have gotten myself to the point where I want a BIG juicy cheeseburger instead of a fast food one. In fact they have to be very specific places that I get it from now too! :p

ME TOO!
    I also feel llike I could get something REALLY yummy and FILLING from somewhere like Chipotle (Mmm, Carnitas Burrito Bowl!) for 400 calories... Or a tiny "Big" Mac for 500 cals.

I know what my choice is, now!