KONY 2012

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

I'm going to play devi's advocate too...this is an awesome perspective.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Cnf79.jpg

This is all I have to say about that.

Thank-you...
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    typical. LRA founded in the late 80's and suddenly everyone is an activist in 2012. Oil found in LRA controlled territories in 2011, Obama deploys troops to hunt Kony, and now faux-non-profits on the band wagon.

Everyone is out to make a $.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

I'm going to play devi's advocate too...this is an awesome perspective.

Hmm. This, I do find interesting.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I threw up the link I did merely as an alternate perspective, not as a source or as a personal stance. It's a smart idea to use your brains and research something completely before you throw money at someone for a cause. Make sure your money will actually be doing some good, and that it's going towards what it should be. Awareness is great, and while becoming aware, you should look at every possible angle.
  • chicomachete
    Options
    KONY2012 My Thoughts:
    I tend to believe that although the Kony2012 message is a great sentiment; Mankind's inherent need to accumulate (Greed) is more apparent from this organization (Invisible Children) than anything else and most donations will go to someone's pocket rather than the cause.
    As for stopping this Evil Man; if the message works and he is brought to mankind’s skewed sense Justice then great it's one less parasite to deal with and 6,840,507,003 more to go, but as others before me have indicated: – “No matter if you stop this evil man/woman, someone else will take his place as our planet is full of evil men/women and it will never end”.
    We as humankind are the biggest self-mutilating parasite that stands to be the main and perhaps only threat to this planet and to life itself.
    With the abundance of Greed and Religion being the main contributing factors that turn us into parasites and lead us to war and bloodshed, it beckons for me to believe that my chances of having an epic one night stand with Ellen DeGeneres and making her forget about women altogether is a much more plausible scenario than any form of world peace.
    As for those foolish enough to donate I tip my hat to you as you make it easy for the conmen of the world (The pope being the biggest one) to achieve wealth. ! But hey your sentiment is well noted  !
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Has this been pasted here yet?

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/
  • Mibs131
    Mibs131 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Been passing this around too. It's a big issue and would love to see this guy taken down.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    meh
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

I read this earlier today, the one titled "We've Got Trouble"

Highly recommend reading
  • GuerrillaHermit
    Options
    Seriously+brace+yourself+is+overused.+I+ve+seen+more+brace+yourselves_44ed19_3423617.jpg
  • Mibs131
    Mibs131 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but this doesn't seem like a con. That's a chance we have to take; like giving change to someone that "seems" to need it. In the long run I have no control once that change leaves my hands. But it's a risk I'll take because for all the fakes, there are still a few who really need it. When you're not sure, take the time to introduce yourself to these folks. Give them a little time and then make your decision about helping out.
    I hear the negative stories about others who offer jobs to folks with the signs, but they walk away. But I've offered food, sandwiches whatever that are gladly received.
    I'll take the chance, cuz even tho this Kony is one person... the world is better with just one less of his ilk.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I think that awareness is great, however, with there being so much controversy over their finances it does lead me to concern. Research your charities and know where your money is going. This is such a complex issue.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/18920717928/thedailywhat-on-kony-2012-i-honestly-wanted-to

Excerpt: The organization behind Kony 2012 — Invisible Children Inc. — is an extremely shady nonprofit that has been called ”misleading,” “naive,” and “dangerous” by a Yale political science professor, and has been accused by Foreign Affairs of “manipulat[ing] facts for strategic purposes.” They have also been criticized by the Better Business Bureau for refusing to provide information necessary to determine if IC meets the Bureau’s standards.
  • aelarek
    aelarek Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Uhm hello?

Has anyone seen the movie "Machine Gun Preacher"?

Based off a true story. That's what needs to be done. Not sending money to an organization. Real people giving everything outta their hearts instead of everything in their wallets. Financial support is important, but unless your giving all you got, every fiber... In Gods eyes, the widow who her last penny in offering is far richer than the rich man that pays his 10%.
  • catattack13
    catattack13 Posts: 117
    Options
    we talked about this all day in school. American foreign policy has been, is, and will continue to be, a muddled situation.

as a social worker and a human being, I don't think there is anything wrong, whatsover, in caring, voicing, and supporting. underlying importance to most of this, though, is researching.
  • IndigenousStardust
    IndigenousStardust Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cnf79.jpg

This is all I have to say about that.

I care about all children no matter where they are from. Forgive me for my ignorance on the topic before Philly D referred me to the video, but I really don't think it matters when someone begins to care about something of this magnitude, it's really not a game of "I cared first". Some people were just a little late and all the more power to them. That is the point of this movement in the first place...hardly anyone knew, and now pretty much everyone does. I'm definitely not saying dig in your pockets and give to the charity, I totally agree with JinxRita, but even though apparently this campaign is annoying people, it's creating awareness. It might seem stupid that all some people do is retweet or repost, but in this day and age news travels faster than ever and that one post multiplies quicker than you can believe. Maybe it won't lead to anything, who knows, but maybe...just maybe those few seconds it took you to repost will lead to his arrest and all those poor babies can go home. What's the harm in that?
  • lauralaurafish
    lauralaurafish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/18920717928/thedailywhat-on-kony-2012-i-honestly-wanted-to

Excerpt: The organization behind Kony 2012 — Invisible Children Inc. — is an extremely shady nonprofit that has been called ”misleading,” “naive,” and “dangerous” by a Yale political science professor, and has been accused by Foreign Affairs of “manipulat[ing] facts for strategic purposes.” They have also been criticized by the Better Business Bureau for refusing to provide information necessary to determine if IC meets the Bureau’s standards.

"I see at least two factually inaccurate claims in this posting already. This article claims Chris Blattman called the charity "misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous" on his blog. Read the blog that has been linked to here. That's not what it says. The statement is that the "savior attitude" and the idea of saving Africa is "misleading, naive," etc. This is a blanket statement that he is applying to various African-focused charities. Additionally, there is a statement here that "IC has a low two-star rating in accountability from Charity Navigator because they won’t let their financials be independently audited." That is at odds with what the Washington Post has reported, that the two-star rating was because the organization had four independent board members instead of five. In fact, if you look at IC's own financial statements you can find the report of the independent auditor who reviewed the organization's financials in 2011. Go check it out right now, they have 3 out of 4 stars. How much fact checking would it have taken this site to discover that? Guess you need to take everything with a huge grain of salt."
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    we talked about this all day in school. American foreign policy has been, is, and will continue to be, a muddled situation.

as a social worker and a human being, I don't think there is anything wrong, whatsover, in caring, voicing, and supporting. underlying importance to most of this, though, is researching.

Beautifully put.
  • GuerrillaHermit
    Options
    internet-memes-dont-be-this-girl2.jpg