Why Would You Keep Your Food Diary Private?

Options

Replies

• tfancey
    tfancey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Mine's friends only - Those people know that I eat a lot of junk, even if I'm under calories.
    I like that they can look at it and that they can comment on it but no one is going to change what I eat. lol
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Mine's locked shut and staying that way! :wink:

..I do really well and then something happens and I'm 1000cals over on a day!!! OMG it's always something really stupid.

Today: 400 cals free at dinnertime (evening meal) pasta or jacket potato on the horizon....

........BANG!!! get mugged by cheese burger! WTF!!!

Difficult to say no to a very persuasive customer...expect them to use "fugedaboudid" in one of our conversations :smile:
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Mine is private at this time. The main reason for this is that I have been on Maintenance for over a year. When I was in the weight loss mode, I kept it public.

Have cut almost all of my feeds as I am really trying to "wing it" on my own at this time! I wish I could say that I eat "clean" and that I have eliminated 95% of my fast food habit. I have not. But I do a fairly decent job in reaching my weekly goals. But I have lots more calories on maintenance than most others on MFP -- 1770 a day!

I try to read and understand the open diaries of my MFP friends. Generally, I get jealous that some of my friends do such an extraordinary job in reaching and excelling on their protein and fiber goals.

May make mine Open again in the future. Both Open and Closed Diaries have pluses and minuses. If you are doing great keeping yours Open or Closed, just continue. If not, make a change. See what works best for you!
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Judged?! On this site?! NO WAY!!
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I do better when it is private. I am a liar with an open food diary because I get embarrased with my choices. I can not explain it and it's almost like as soon as I make it public I start making worst choices it is so weird. I guess it's psychological but to each their own. :flowerforyou:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Just to annoy the people who make topics like this.

No one ever posts "Why would you keep your food diary open" threads.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I don't want people to know I'm really a zombie and only eat braaaaaaaaiiiiinnnnnssss.

And this is why you're on my friends list, I needed more friends with "exotic" eating habits...j/k :flowerforyou:
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I just opened my up to be read by my friends. And, I have to tell you that people are going to be like, Really? You can eat all that and lose weight? Yup, I sure can... 78 pounds down!
  • LngHrDntCr13
    LngHrDntCr13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed b/c as much as I appreciate constructive criticism, I don't want folks telling me what to eat or telling me where I messed up, especially if I already know what works for me. Maybe one day I'll open it. . . :grumble:
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Mine is private because I don't want the comments/criticisms. I know that some people do feel the need to be held accountable in order to meet their goals - I am not one of them. I come here every day and log what I ate and how much I worked out at the gym - mostly to learn how many calories is in that meal I just ate and to keep track of my progress. I am happy enough with my own progress and do not need to be held accountable in regard to what/how much I eat. I know when I screw up and I feel bad enough about it without having people point it out to me.
    Like econut2000 said: I do what works best for ME and that isn't what necessarily works for other people.

Couldn't have typed this better for myself.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Once again, when I read these kinds of threads, I feel very fortunate because I don't have these "judgemental" MFPals that would make snarky comments about my food diary. If someone did...they probably would not be my friend any longer.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options

^this!!
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Once again, when I read these kinds of threads, I feel very fortunate because I don't have these "judgemental" MFPals that would make snarky comments about my food diary. If someone did...they probably would not be my friend any longer.

I totally agree with you ^^^
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Mine has been open to friends since I joined, but am thinking about closing it. I have had a couple of occasions where I regretted that it was open and it invited unwelcome and unneeded analysis.

I am not stupid - if I didn't eat many vegetables on a given day, I am fully aware of it - made some other food choices that day and for good or bad, it was what it was. I don't need someone to notice it and call me on it.

Having an open diary has it's pros and cons, just as keeping it private does. I think that it's cool either way a person decides to use it.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Mine's locked shut and staying that way! :wink:

..I do really well and then something happens and I'm 1000cals over on a day!!! OMG it's always something really stupid.

Today: 400 cals free at dinnertime (evening meal) pasta or jacket potato on the horizon....

........BANG!!! get mugged by cheese burger! WTF!!!

Difficult to say no to a very persuasive customer...expect them to use "fugedaboudid" in one of our conversations :smile:

The thought of getting mugged by a cheeseburger made me laugh out loud because I have SO been there! :laugh:
  • laurenlind
    Options
    I changed my diary to be public as well. Even though I don't really have any friends on here that I do not know in real life, it was very scary to open it at first because the people seeing it really are part of my every day life, so I was afraid that I wouldn't want them to see. But what it has done is required me to be open and honest, with others and myself. I do think about a second helping now, because I have to count it AND because everyone is going to see it. So if I am sitting around complaining that I am unhappy with my weight and shoving brownies in my mouth, I know that others will know it's MY fault. It helps me to stay accountable. I am glad I made the change. I am surprised to hear that some people get negative comments from others. That would be frustrating to me.... guess I would probably de-friend people that do that.
  • lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, but I am seriously thinking about closing it. I can't have a large lunch and a small dinner without having people tell me I need to eat more dinner. Can't you have a late lunch and eat more and then have a smaller dinner before bed? If I am late for work and miss breakfast, I hear about it. Then, I feel the need to explain why I ate the meals I ate and when and I feel I have to defend my choices. To me, it is becoming a lot of negative energy. I need positive energy right now.

It's actually good to eat that way... that's how they eat in Europe and they're not like us overweight Americans lol
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    hmmm dont wanna get judged by what I eat I guess.
  • fatzombiegirl
    Options
    Awesome.

Send more paramedics.