Using Yoga as an alternative to Weight Lifting? New..

Options
Hii

I am new to resistance training and have a question:

I would like to know if any of you have knowledge or enough experience on whether yoga can be an alternative to weight training. I am more accessible to Yoga & Pilates than weight training and also enjoy them a lot more, but I also want results. Do you think Yoga is a good starter on resistance?

Thankss

Replies

• reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't think yoga is as intense as weight training but it will define your muscles and improve your muscle strength, core strength and balance. I love Yoga. It depends on how much muscle you want to build. Me, I am very happy with the yoga.
  • LivyB14
    LivyB14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi!!

I'm doing the same thing-using yoga for my strength training. I'm using a DVD series by bodywisdom (found on Amazon) that include power yoga, flow yoga (strength and flexibility) and weight loss; I've tried them all and really enjoy them. I have NO previous experience with yoga either and I find them easy to follow.

Best of luck on your journey!
  • Riyam
    Riyam Posts: 25
    Options
    I have so many yoga videos too. I'm always challenged when I do yoga exercises so I just assume I am doing something for my muscles. I just hope it's enough for the next few months to maintain muscle.
  • Genghiskhannie
    Options
    I'm a yoga beginner, but I have a lot of long time yogis in my life. They all advise attending a few classes before trying out a home practice. It's really easy to develop bad habits that will injure you in the long run (if not immediately).
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    no
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yoga might help you develop strength for things like pushups, lunges and squats, but after awhile it;s not going to be challenging strength wise so you'll need to lift weights
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Nope, unfortunately not. I have yoga and weight-training in my routine both for very different reasons, and although they are both important to me if I had to only focus on one it would definitely be the weight-training, I've had much quicker results with toning etc. through Body Pump than I would have in double the time with yoga. Not to say that yoga isn't fab, it is, and if you work hard and challenge yourself it will do wonders for you, but in my experience it would take a significantly longer amount of time to see results.