Thoughts On Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love PF! I just got it about a month ago, and honestly didn't start going until the last week.. But now I seriously love it. I had 24hr before and I've found that this gym is generally way cleaner, the people are nicer, and it generally is just more awesome. I love the circuits that they have. I've never found a gym more comfortable. I also have the black card, which I love because I can always bring someone with me which is awesome. I went tanning for the first time ever too.. which was free with the black card! And the massage chairs! And the free shirt! I don't know how important these things are for you, but I'm so pleased. I really love being able to bring someone every day. Go for it. It's totally worth it!

Oh and a side note, the ellipticals at the one I go to (I assume they're the same at all of them, but who knows) have iPod chargers and you can listen through the elliptical. SUPER. AWESOME.
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    Its the best $10 I spend a month! I never thought I'd be a gym person but I dont feel awkward there at all:) I would highly recommend it
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Planet Fitness! I feel so comfortable there. You can't beat the price. Mine has plenty of free-weights to work with, and some great cardio machines.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I have been to PF a handful of times and I think for the beginner or individual on a budget you can not beat it. I mean at the most $20/m can get you access to basic weight equipment and a TON of cardio machines, and the tanning / massage rooms. For someone who is looking for more equipment like free weights and machines it is not the best. I also HATE the purple and yellow...drives me crazy. HAHA!!! All in all I would say that it is a great place to work out, but not for all.
  • timjai
    timjai Posts: 113
    Options
    In the UK I pay 80 dollars a month and it's from 6am - 10pm....damn I'd love a 24hr gym that costs half as much!!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I have a really great PF and I love it! Honestly, we have all sorts, from newbies to total meatheads, and I don't see ANYONE being eyeballed or made fun of. And there's a pretty decent selection of dumbbells, about 5 smith presses (which I use for presses, squats, etc), and cable machines. There's also a million of each type of cardio machine. I have absolutely no use for classes as I also dance, so it has everything I need for when I'm either lifting or running. Again, it really depends on your needs!
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I have been to PF a handful of times and I think for the beginner or individual on a budget you can not beat it. I mean at the most $20/m can get you access to basic weight equipment and a TON of cardio machines, and the tanning / massage rooms. For someone who is looking for more equipment like free weights and machines it is not the best. I also HATE the purple and yellow...drives me crazy. HAHA!!! All in all I would say that it is a great place to work out, but not for all.

I've a feeling the purple and yellow will drive me crazy too. :)
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member, but I left for Golds Gym. Its a nice gym, but it doesn't offer any classes or personal trainers. You get what you pay for though.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Do you want to use free weights? A lot of them got rid of or never acquired barbells/plates. I would personally never belong to a gym that didn't have something as basic as barbells in it. Luckily, the PF I went to did have them as well as the standard benches and squat racks. However, it got to the point where they banned deadlifts, overhead pressing, cleans, etc. So I left, and now belong to a smaller gym that is a bit more expensive, but has much better equipment and members for my goals.
  • cjaharmon
    cjaharmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I truly love PF! I am not a gym person haven't ever been. But I love it there. Yea they have the pizza and bagel and candy which just makes me shake my head, but if that is what gets you to the gym then so be it. I have to agree with the other comments about check it out first...we have two PF's close to me...and depending on what I am doing around the time I am going depends on which one I use. The one closest to home is amazing it's huge and doesn't smell like a gym, and the cardio basic gym equipment are separated by a half wall from the heavy and free weights area. So when I am sweating to just try to get a little healthier and lose some more fat I don't feel intimidated by those who are seriously healthier then me. I think it also helps to keep down the drama. But the one closer to my kids school and my work I HATE! The gym is more compact and the heavy weight living area is right in front of the cardio so I have to look right at them while I am working out. Just is intimidating. Also my PF is much more picky about people using the circuit areas that aren't doing a circuit the other one doesn't seem to care.
  • nystangkid
    nystangkid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    they told me i cant dead lift so i quit
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I love planet fitness ! I just was there today. Got a free gym bag too :) there arc trainers burn like 100 cal every 10 min. There the best. I love the free personal trainers and group sessions. As far as the black card it depends on your needs. If you bring friends all the time worth it. If you tan a lot worth it. Other wise just stick with the $10 one.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I am a member. My daughter and I just finished our workout there tonight. It doesn't have all the fancy classes or a pool, but for the money it is well worth it. Any gym's value is going to be what you put into it. I have the black card membership, so I pay $19.99 per month and my daughter goes with me as a guest for free. Anyone can go with me as a guest.
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I have a membership there, black card membership and if you actually like cardio machines or are in need of good free weights or weight machines, then it is a good place. if you're looking for classes...then no. Also, the tanning is a perk for me, since I'm pastey as hell.
  • DianaHill76
    Options
    I have been going there for 3 years. I love it. I have the black card because I travel for work and use the gyms out of town and I bring guest on a regular basis. If you're not going to bring anyone or tan, just get the $10 membership
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you physically exert yourself...really push yourself....you're going to let out some sort of noise. Its involuntary, and in many cases is good for you. Telling someone not to make a noise while lifting weights is like telling someone not to moan during sex.

But its not about grunting. Its about how Plant Fitness portrays physically fit people as idiots. Watch any of their commercials and they tout muscular individuals as "lunks" and essentially makes fun of them....which they claim not to be judgemental.

When your right your right !
  • gethotstott
    Options
    I LOVE planet fitness! Can't get a better deal and a great atmosphere!
  • THINtense
    THINtense Posts: 42
    Options
    My parents used to pay for my Lifetime Fitness membership and I used to live in an apartment with a fitness center...Not anymore! SO, I joined PF about a month ago and got the black card. I like it, but the gym itself really basic! No towels, pool, sauna/steam room, etc, but I like that I can go to any gym and that I could bring a guest EVERY day if I wanted to. And hey, it gets the job done for me--all I do is the elliptical or treadmill anyway!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    they told me i cant dead lift so i quit

why would they do this? what about squat?

but tanning is included in the 10/month? thats worth it alone. i could just tan there and go to my regular gym.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are it's great for some people and awful for others. All depends on your preferences and goals.