Depression in relation to exercise/weight loss?

Options
I struggle with depression on a daily basis. Since I begun food journaling (December) and then joining this site my depression has become much more manageable. My main sources of negative thoughts come from worries about work, college, and of course my body image. Since I have begun my weight loss journey I feel more confident in my skin even though I have only lost a little bit of weight so far. It's a feeling like I am finally doing something about my situation. For me. For my confidence. For my own happiness.

I was wondering if anybody else here struggles with similar feelings and what you have done to overcome and deal with them. I do not take medication and I feel like diet and exercise has done wonders for me in a healthy and natural way.

Has anyone else felt relieved emotionally after beginning to make a weight loss change, or not?

Replies

• maryellen8301
    maryellen8301 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i don't know if i feel relieved but i am a lot happier..
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with periods of depression and anxiety attacks since grammar school. After adding lots of exercise to my life and making other drastic changes(break-up, change schools/major) my depression is almost completely at bay. I have the odd panic attack still, but they are triggered by silly things like tv violence or a dish breaking rather than coming on for no apparent reason. The fitter I get, the better I feel about my body as well, so that pushes me to stay on track. It feels like one of many first personal goals-I am content with myself but also constantly improving-I don't lie in bed all day crying for no reason and shoving down a burrito every two days anymore :/ My emotions are so much more stable that I can focus on tomorrow and not just getting through today :]
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I was depressed for a while, didn't even realize it. I got myself a dog because I felt lonely. And wham, my life changed. I was more active, had to learn how to assert myself (the dog in question was a german shepherd who came with some BAGGAGE - imagine attacking a neighbor the second day he was home). anyways, as i learned to help my dog with his issues, mine just didn't seem so daunting anymore. I knew i had gained some major self esteem when i started yelling at people (strangers no less) who didn't even try to control their dogs...
    i guess it wasn't really a weight loss journey. but a challenge nonetheless...
  • candacerm
    Options
    I could not begin an exercise or weight regimen while depressed, it took going on Zoloft to allow me to feel motivated and focused enough to stick with it longer than one or two workouts. That being said, drugs can't do everything. Exercise helps a TON in getting me where I need to be in terms of not being depressed or amotivated. But only if I push myself to heart pumping breath puffing exertion. If I do a middling one mile jog or get lazy on the elliptical, the value is pretty washed out. If I really sweat and get worked up and panting, I feel great all day, even euphoric. I come home and greet my son and husband with disgustingly cheerful hellos and feel calmer and more relaxed with my kids all day.
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    regular exercise always makes me feel much less depressed! I had been so down (very affected by the seasons) but with the last 4 weeks of turbofire I have honestly felt terrific. :)
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with this. I wish you all the best on your journeys.
  • hotn30
    hotn30 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been dealing with depression/anxiety off and on for years. I am actually starting MFP and exercising tomorrow (again!) In the past when I have lost weight it has defienently helped with my depression and given me an overall better outlook on life. I just have a problem sticking with my routine! uGH!!!
    So here I go again tomorrow...wish me luck! And best of luck to you!
  • goobergop
    goobergop Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i think for us women body issues drive a lot of our depression... i lost about 23 lbs and i looked at a photo of me from last june this wk.. it actually made me depressed bc i *thought* i looked ok. but i really felt like i looked awful.. and started second guessing myself. i started asking all my friends, seriously am i that fat still? i think what we see and how we interpret it.... can mislead us....
    .. the thing i struggle with is i didn work out tonight bc i had other things i wanted to do, now i feel guilty. Sigh...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't have depression, but I've found that whenever I exercise regularly I am am healthier physically (less colds etc) and much better balanced in my mood. Last year my mum was in hospice care for 3 months before she passed away and running was one of the things that really helped me keep it together. I can tell the difference when I haven't been running for a few days - I get edgy and my mood is low.