Day 1 and Completely Overwhelmed Already!!! :0(

Options
Good Evening MFP Buddies. Just Checking To See If Anyone Else Out There Is As Overwhelmed As I Am??? I've Been Doing Great At Getting Myself To The Gym The Past Few Months, But I Am Having The Hardes Time With This Calorie Thing. I Mean, I Think I Have The Basic Idea of It, But When It Comes To Jotting Down The Individual Calories For Certain Things Like Only Half A Cucumber or Half A Tomato.... Not Diggin' This!!!! Somebody Pls Shine The Light On Me!!!!

Replies

• theleftie
    theleftie Posts: 366
    Options
    Go easy. It's mot that important to be too perfect right away, The more you do it - the more intuitive it becomes. If you want help - let me know. It's not worth getting upset about. It really does work. hang in there.... :flowerforyou:
  • unfairestfelicity
    Options
    Hello i'm new here as well. The way i see it is the calorie counter thingie is just a guide and thats it. I know if i try to be to specific i will get overwhelmed and give up. So my basic mindset is to understand that i need not eat as much fatty foods. From what I know and have learned, it's best to start off lightly dieting in stead of just totally changing everything right away. Best Wishes to everyone ;-)
  • iwannlookgud
    Options
    I was overwhelmed at first but the more i use it the better i feel when i can look back at my food choices and make changes as needed really is very helpful
  • mvillagran
    Options
    Thanks Everybody! Looking Forward To A Clean Slate Tomorrow! :0) I Truly Made Myself Sick Today Just Thinking About The Calories Thing. Good Luck On Your Journey Everyone!
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't write anything down that I eat. I estimate the calories and put that down for the meal and snacks. Working so far.
  • CuteRed89
    Options
    Im new on here as well and also very nervous and overwhelmed. Ive NEVER stuck to any diet and im now very desperate. Im not happy with myself. I wanna look better and feel better plus i just had a little girl four months ago and i wanna be a good example for her so she doesnt ever have to go through the issues on weight her entire life like i did. Good Luck!!! I wish you the very best! YOU CAN DO IT!! :heart: :smile:
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Breathe. Relax. ...and welcome. Just focus on one thing until you are less overwhelmed. I have never counted calories before (just WW points). I'm finding it quite helpful as I never understood up until the last few months why I wasn't losing weight even though I was exercising like crazy. My Dr. said to me "You can eat healthy and still be eating too much!" Duh. When I go over I don't sweat it but it has certainly helped me make better choices.
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just remember one day at a time. It can be overwhelming, it's a lot of information to process. Start with the little things. Don't try to do it all at once. That is a sure set-up for failure. I've lost over 110 lbs and kept all but 30 pounds off for about 2 1/2 years. What I tell people is this - pick one thing to start with - Drink a lot of coke? cut it down. Eat a lot of bread? cut it down. Eat fried food? cut it out. You get the picture.

As far as measuring everthing - eventually it will make a difference, but to start with - eat one serving instead of two. Eat baked instead of fried, etc. For most people - this is a life time of habits they are changing. It takes time. When you fall (not fail) and you will, just keep on keeping on. That is how you learn. It isn't an easy journey, but it so worth it!
  • simonsayzz
    simonsayzz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't have answers but can tell you what works for me: PLANNING ahead! I try to plan out ahead (approximately) what I'm eating for lunch/supper and enter it before I even eat it. That way, I can tell how many calories I have to play around with throughout the day. I don't think eating and then running to the computer to write it down works for anyone! So, if at all possible, have a generalized idea of what you're going to eat for the day, (what you pack in your lunch, what you took out for supper), enter it, and then don't stress. Good luck!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I wish I could be more accurate!

But do what works for you, don't give up, it is really easy once you get into the swing of things.

If you find yourself constantly hungry, change your calorie intake. Everyone is different, so don't starve yourself :smile:
  • Danasummers09
    Options
    I promise it gets easier. I put it in almost on auto pilot now. It will take a bit to get used to. But idk. What I would do with out it now. And if it helps write down what u ate accurately and at the end of the day when u have time. Put it all in
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am nowhere near close to having it down but my best advice is plan ahead as much as you possibly can. By having a game plan with food and exercise, you are better equipped to face the journey!! And embrace the journey!! Some days will be good and some days will be ok and some days will be bad. Try to learn from each day because there is usually a lesson in each and every one of them!
  • davidandrewwillis
    Options
    Biggest piece of advice? RELAX! Don't stress about what you're eating/not eating. (And yes, I need to take my own advice here) MFP is a great way to track what you've done (the food search is becoming my best friend) but take small steps. Don't go on a diet with this, change the way you eat with this. Make it a goal to make 1 healthy food decision a day for a few weeks... then increase it to 2 and so on.

And remember, you CAN do this!
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    I feel like if you are getting panicked and obsessed and making yourself sick over the numbers in the calories, you might need to stop counting them until you are in a more stable mindset. It shouldn't be something that makes you freak out. You don't want to develop a habit where you start eating less and less because you don't want the numbers to go up. It can become a dangerous thing. Not saying it WILL but you just have to be careful.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, your numbers probably will be higher than they should and you will probably be not so good at the accuracy part. This is normal. There is a learning curve. What is important is using the data you entered to analyze what you are doing and learning how to make changes accordingly. Look at it as data analysis rather than whether you are fully doing it correct right from the start.

It takes time to do it right. It is not only about the food you eat or even adding exercise, etc but about building a healthy mindset and looking at this as a long term thing. Hurrying up the process won't do you any good in the long run.

One suggestion that has already been brought up that I think would be a great fit for you is the idea of "change one." This means you should pick a mini goal and work on that. Then after a week or two when you start to get the hang of it (how long you need to stay on a goal varies), add a new goal while monitoring and continuing the former goals. When you get stronger at this, you can add a few goals at a time. Trying to do it all at once and be perfect at it right out of the gate IS overwhelming and can set you up for failure if it gets to be too much.

For example, the first mini-goal may simply be the act of logging consistently. Learning how to log takes multiple steps. There is learning how to measure, how to read labels, remembering to enter it, etc. instead of focusing on the actual numbers, just focus on entering your information. Once this becomes easier for you, you will be surprised to note that the simple act of logging likely already made you aware enough to already affect your choices for the positive without you even stressing or trying too hard, but even if it doesn't, now you have two weeks of good data about your current lifestyle to think about your next mini-goal.

Mini-goals can be whatever you want them to be. It can be focusing on planning breakfast for the week. It can be adding water. It can be removing calories you drink or reducing your sweets. It could be reducing how often you eat out and making better choices when you do. Work on continually improving yourself and the process. I can't tell you what the mini-goal should be because it will be based on the data you collect. My first mini-goal, for example, was dramatically reducing the amount of chocolate I was eating. I still allow myself to have it but I redefined what moderation and treat meant for me.

At the same time, you have to work on your mentality for this process. Don't go into it expecting to be perfect right away but do work on it consistently. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day but do watch to see how often those days happen and evaluate yourself honestly and create new strategies accordingly. Don't give up!

Here is a motto you may need at this stage of your journey, "Aim for progress, not perfection."

(Gotta fix my ticker).

I have done this successfully 3 times (3 kids). My last time I lost 60lbs. It took me about a year and I kept it off for 3 years. Recently I had a major lifestyle change and let my weight slide up. I knew it but was on "vacation mode" and now I'm working on getting down those 20lbs I gained. I've lost 7lbs so far. So I'm not new to this journey but I have a secret to share with you--I'm STILL learning! Each time I do this, I add new layers of understanding. I am truly beginning to understand why this is called a lifestyle and lifelong thing. Learn to embrace the process.
  • mvillagran
    Options
    Wow... Thank You So Much For Everyone's Kind Words of Encouragement. I Learned Alot Yesterday and Have Definately Learned Alot Today! I Will Pocket Each Piece of Advice and Be Sure To Pull Out When Needed. I Wish Everyone The Best In Their Journey. Again Thank You So Much For Sharing A Part of Your Story and Strategies.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Start by logging everything you eat. Just logging in itself is tough at first!

Then pick one thing to start with ... I started with getting my calories under control. Once you have that under control, start drinking more water or whatever you need to do next.

Small, sustainable changes are the key to sticking with this! If you try to do too much too fast, it won't stick and last a lifetime.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'd start slow :)

focus on staying under your calorie goal first.
    once you become comfortable with that, you can try focusing more on your nutrient ratios, carbs, proteins, etc.

keep it simple until you're ready for more!
    & I know I have met people on here who don't even log their vegetables, just because they don't want to feel guilty about something so healthy. I think that's fair for a beginner. start where you can, so you don't get scared away!

good luck!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't have answers but can tell you what works for me: PLANNING ahead! I try to plan out ahead (approximately) what I'm eating for lunch/supper and enter it before I even eat it. That way, I can tell how many calories I have to play around with throughout the day. I don't think eating and then running to the computer to write it down works for anyone! So, if at all possible, have a generalized idea of what you're going to eat for the day, (what you pack in your lunch, what you took out for supper), enter it, and then don't stress. Good luck!

^^^This is how I do it too...I find it easier to stay on track throughout the day :)
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Good Evening MFP Buddies. Just Checking To See If Anyone Else Out There Is As Overwhelmed As I Am??? I've Been Doing Great At Getting Myself To The Gym The Past Few Months, But I Am Having The Hardes Time With This Calorie Thing. I Mean, I Think I Have The Basic Idea of It, But When It Comes To Jotting Down The Individual Calories For Certain Things Like Only Half A Cucumber or Half A Tomato.... Not Diggin' This!!!! Somebody Pls Shine The Light On Me!!!!

Look at it as extra motivation as well... when you see the candy dish full of M&M's sitting there it is easy to grab a few unless you are thinking of it as 'is it worth it when I'm going to have to track 6 M&M's later'.