What if you lose all of the weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the SAME EXACT THING about the flat butt and the love handles as they are my big problem and just wish they would disappear.

But I guess we may as well take the journey and see whether it leads us to something we like.

I have tried to lose weight so many times and this is the longest I have ever stuck with it and the most I have ever lost in one period of time. So if this trend continues, I'll find out soon enough whether my pesky love handles will go away.
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options
    I never thought about it when I started and I wish I had because it really made me sad when I found out that I had loose skin. However, if I really think about it, I would rather have some loose skin than be around 80 pounds overweight. I'm sure my boyfriend feels the same way and although I'm incredibly self-conscious about it - I was worse at 225. I feel much more attractive now and I'm much happier.

It's taken me more than a year and a half to lose 70 pounds and I still have the mentality that I'm fat. I still don't recognize myself in the mirror and I always assume that other girls are thinner than me when apparently that's not always the case. I feel weird next to my bean pole boyfriend but everyone else thinks we're precious and cute together. I don't look huge next to him anymore. I wonder if I'll ever get rid of the "fat girl" mentality but that's not what is important. What's important is that I am better, I am happier, I am more confident than I was, I am healthier, I no longer have to use my inhaler all the time, I've learned what self-control is, I enjoy exercising now, I crave water, and I'm improving more and more everyday.

That's more important than worrying about what might happen. You will be happier, you will be cuter, you will be healthier. A flat butt and love handles can be fixed with consistent working out. Loose skin depends on so many different factors, but don't worry about because it may not be something that you have to worry about. If you want to reduce the chance? Moisturize, exercise (cardio and weights), drink water, lose slow, and hope for the best.

Keep that mindset that you found and go forward. You can do it!

Edited for grammar
  • HaRLo24
    HaRLo24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Everyone has had great suggestions! Just try to remind yourself, it's about overall physical health and how you feel, not to mention the great sense of accomplishment you will have when you reach your goal; any marks you have are battle scars! :)

In regards to stretch marks, I can tell you that they do fade overtime, but unfortunately many studies and research have shown that it's difficult to make them completely dissappear. I know that for me, Bio-Oil has been really helpful in minimizing them, as well as a little bit of self-tanner. And when I get frustrated with them, I refer to this:

untitled2.jpg

:)

Oh my god I love this! Can I use it for my ticker background?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've only been on this site for a few days and have already had success and found a mind set I didn't know I possessed in terms of weight loss and health. But I found myself thinking today, "what if I lose all of the weight and I still fall short of my expectations?"
    What if I have a lot of skin left over? What if my stretch marks don't go away? What if I'm not as cute as I hoped I would be when I'm thin? What if I have a weird body shape with a flat butt and love handles that wont go away?----what if the reality wont be as good as the fantasy in my head of what it will be like when I'm thin?

Does anyone else have these thoughts or is just me? And if anyone does have these though how do you keep them from sabotoging your weight loss?

To be honest - I'd be surprised if anyone is ever entirely satisfied with their body. It seems to be human nature to want something that we don't have.... and when we have it, we find something else to crave!

Your basic body shape isn't going to change into something totally different when you lose weight, you are going to be a smaller and healthier version of you. And that's a great thing!

I am 20kg smaller than this time last year and I love being able to walk into a shop and fit into just about any size 12 (US 8). I love being able to walk up stairs without puffing and having to stop half way. I love being able to run and feeling good when I'm wearing shorts or a running skirt, I love it when I find old clothes (like last year works shirt that is 3 sizes bigger) and I realise how much smaller I am. I love feeling stronger both physically and mentally.

If I'm honest, I'm not so fond of my flabby inner thighs or the veins that stand out on the back of my hands or my stringy looking neck or the fact that my bra is only half full.

But, I'm willing to accept that the overall package looks and feels better, so I can live with those other things.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's common for many people to think this way ... but the best advice I can give you is to let go of all the "what if's." If you focus so much on this you can become self-destructive with your thoughts and lose your motivation and will power. I know people say "what is the point if you lose the fat to replace it with lose skin, and then remove the lose skin to replace it with scars."

But I have reminded myself that there is a far greater list of things I will gain that are positive. That lose skin, the stretch marks, and even the scars are all reminders of my journey ... whether they will be there to keep me from ever going back there or simply to remind me that I survived and I'm still here. They are in essence our own battle wounds and possibly our own badges of accomplishment.

And during your journey you can always try to do things that can improve the end results of these things.

The reality is that the stretch marks don't ever really go away. There are things you can do to greatly improve their appearance ranging from what you put into your body like water and foods Salmon and Spinach.. to topical things you can do to keep the skin moisturized and even laser surgery.

Lose skin, well that is a possibility ... but it's far better than being over weight and all the health problems that come with it. Again you can do things to help reduce the lose skin by losing the weight slowly, strength training to replace the fat with muscle, and of course having it surgically removed.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i would rather be fit and healthy with stretch marks than over weight and feeling like crap about myself.

Once your initial big surge of weight comes off, slow down and work on strengthening your body and feeling better about your diet.

The weight will come off and you will feel well-balanced and your skin will tighten, stretch marks will fade.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Everyone has had great suggestions! Just try to remind yourself, it's about overall physical health and how you feel, not to mention the great sense of accomplishment you will have when you reach your goal; any marks you have are battle scars! :)

In regards to stretch marks, I can tell you that they do fade overtime, but unfortunately many studies and research have shown that it's difficult to make them completely dissappear. I know that for me, Bio-Oil has been really helpful in minimizing them, as well as a little bit of self-tanner. And when I get frustrated with them, I refer to this:

untitled2.jpg

:)

Oh my god I love this! Can I use it for my ticker background?

Of course, go nuts!
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    Perky boobs :laugh: :laugh:
    Sorry I'm laughing hysterically because having children put paid to those over 28 years ago
    Stretch marks yup got them to see above reply :happy:
    I'm losing weight and this time keeping it off, yes the loss of perky boobs and the gaining of stretch marks and saggy skin sadden me at times, but then I look at my 2 awesome adult children and realise the trade off was worth it :bigsmile:
    At 50 I'm thankful for all of the pluses in life, I'm loved (just the way I was) and as I am now, I'm enjoying a new lease on life and a new guy in my life :blushing: I am eating healthier and exercising daily - okay I can't do everything I used to do (arthritis makes me a little slower :grumble: ) but geez I'm have a blast at this time of my life and doing the things I want and not what others expect. So I say embrace who you are including the not so great things (stretch marks, not so perky boobs).
    I got a negative comment once from a 'girl' at the gym about my stretch marks I simply smiled sweetly at her and said "These are called my life experiences...what's your excuse" :wink:
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Part of this journey for each of us is learning to love ourselves. We are not just losing weight, but should also be looking at some of the things that got us there in the first place like our relationship with food and what makes us eat, how we feel about our bodies, etc.

You may have a lot of questions as you are just getting started but remember to take things a day at a time and deal with items as they come up.
  • michael300891
    Options
    I've only been on this site for a few days and have already had success and found a mind set I didn't know I possessed in terms of weight loss and health. But I found myself thinking today, "what if I lose all of the weight and I still fall short of my expectations?"
    What if I have a lot of skin left over? What if my stretch marks don't go away? What if I'm not as cute as I hoped I would be when I'm thin? What if I have a weird body shape with a flat butt and love handles that wont go away?----what if the reality wont be as good as the fantasy in my head of what it will be like when I'm thin?

Does anyone else have these thoughts or is just me? And if anyone does have these though how do you keep them from sabotoging your weight loss?

Never ever be satisfied is my answer. Think about it, you set yourself a goal: Lose 20lbs. You lost that and your satisfied with your body. You lose the motivation to diet, you put the weight back on. Only way you can work is if once you hit the 20lb goal you set a new one. If your happy with your weight perhaps add 5lbs of muscle or train to run a marathon - anything thatll keep you going.

EDIT - THink i may have misunderstood your post - Sorry, dont have any advice for stretch marks or anything like that =(
  • jragan68
    jragan68 Posts: 22
    Options
    Excersize is IDEAL !! but when you reach your initial goal it is ok to set new ones. I have lost almost all of the weight I wanted only 10 more to go, and I have kinda set new goals to tighten my tummy and my thighs because they are not where I would like them to be so I am working harder to get to my new goals :)