any one know what I'm doing wrong ?

Options
I have been sticking to my cals using a HRM to track exercise (most of the time) and over the last week and a have I pave put 4 lb back on :( 90% of my food is measured so my calculations cannot be that out.

Replies

• BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to sound sick but is your little buddy due to arrive this or next week? Women can retain fluid during this time. Some a lot, some not so much. Is your diary public? I will check.
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    nope I could understand it if it was :( yes my diary is public :)
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to sound sick but is your little buddy due to arrive this or next week? Women can retain fluid during this time. Some a lot, some not so much. Is your diary public? I will check.

true, but not 4 lbs of fluids! again, doesnt mean to sound sick, but are u constipated or taking some new drugs or sumthing? anything out of routine over last week n half?
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    no nothing out of the ordinary. other than did a lot of gardening the other day and I havent done that for a couple of weeks.
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is because you are eating back the excersise calories?? Could your HRM be misleading you??
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking measurements? Is there any changes in how your clothes feel?
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    off to work now will mesure when i get home, I dont eat mor than a 3rd of my execise cals.
  • VezNo1
    VezNo1 Posts: 83
    Options
    Exercise-wise you might be loosing fat, but building muscle. My weight has stayed the same these last few weeks but since Jan I have increased my muscle by 7lb, and lost 5.5% body fat. Also If your on high protien - watch you are getting enough fibre in and swap out high carbs for low alternatives.

Moving to high intensity cardio seems to be shocking my body back into weighloss. Yesterday my workout looked like this.....

Cross train warm up

3 sets
    med pace run for 2 mins
    Fast pace/sprint for 1 min

8 sets
    Kettle bell swings 20 secs
    TRX squat jumps 20 secs mix with forward facing squat jumps
    Burpie press ups 20 secs

Repeat the whole thing x 3

Warm down walk up incline and stretch
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. Keep that in mind. Two things you may want to try. Before and after starting here I have lost 46 lbs. I hit two plateaus along the way. You exercise a lot. It gives you extra calories. Much of the time you eat a lot of those back and an instance or two went over. Try being consistent with your set goal count for a week no matter how much you exercise. As long as you stay consistent with your set number you don't have to eat so many exercise calories back. The other thing is you may want to think about raising your % of daily protein. I know you have gone over your set amount several times and that's actually good. Too low a protein level in my case caused me to be skinny fat. Though I exercised, my body burned fat but also muscle! I wasn't gaining any good muscle growth. Before you know it, the plateau hit. I am a man and don't know if that makes much difference or not, but my protein level was set around your level back then. I believe you should take your weight and times it by around .75 to get your proper minimum daily protein need to build muscle, in turn raising your metabolism and burning fat faster. What does everyone else think?
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. Keep that in mind. Two things you may want to try. Before and after starting here I have lost 46 lbs. I hit two plateaus along the way. You exercise a lot. It gives you extra calories. Much of the time you eat a lot of those back and an instance or two went over. Try being consistent with your set goal count for a week no matter how much you exercise. As long as you stay consistent with your set number you don't have to eat so many exercise calories back. The other thing is you may want to think about raising your % of daily protein. I know you have gone over your set amount several times and that's actually good. Too low a protein level in my case caused me to be skinny fat. Though I exercised, my body burned fat but also muscle! I wasn't gaining any good muscle growth. Before you know it, the plateau hit. I am a man and don't know if that makes much difference or not, but my protein level was set around your level back then. I believe you should take your weight and times it by around .75 to get your proper minimum daily protein need to build muscle, in turn raising your metabolism and burning fat faster. What does everyone else think?

Mel 2 weeks ago I have done just what Jimmy explained and my scale has moved 4lbs down this week

I eat 1800 calories no matter what and I changed my macros to 40% carb 30% fat and 30% protein

before I was getting way too many carbs and not enough protein
    I am still not getting quite 30% protein but much more than before and I also added strength training 2 x a week:bigsmile:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

true, but not 4 lbs of fluids! again, doesnt mean to sound sick, but are u constipated or taking some new drugs or sumthing? anything out of routine over last week n half?

I gain 5Ibs around that time - so it is possible! :)
  • karmaticgeek
    Options
    I gain 5Ibs around that time - so it is possible! :)

Yeah, same here.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am going to take a different approach to why you gained the 4 lbs although the other ideas are legit too!
    I looked over your diary and You track calories very nicely but the other items such as Fat and Sodium and Sugar, and carbs arent correct as when you add something that is homemade you only add the calories. My thought on this is that you may be going over the other items such as fat. Someone can stay within their calories by say eating a whopper lets say but go over on fat by a ton which will affect you weight lows/gain/
    When I make something that is homemade I add all the ingredients into the recipe maker to get the most accurate readings. It takes time to do this but in the long run it will help you with your weight loss.
    I also had read somewhere a while back that people tend to underestimate their calories by 40% and over estimate their exercise calories burned by 20%. Thats a swing of 60% possibly. This is one reason I dont eat my exercise calories back or very little of them. No matter how hard we try to measure and weigh its still only our best estimate.
    On one other note: Every month and not anywhere near my time of the month I will gain 4lbs exactly. Im not doing anything different its just a hormone thing. Takes me the entire week to "work" it off. Happens every month so I know its just the hormones.
    Hope this helps give you other ideas of whats happening. Keep up the good work!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I had the same thoughts on your diary - theres a sandwich with only 3 carbs, and some pork with no protein: this may make no difference, but if you are tracking everything closley, then make sure the info is correct (or at least makes sense!)

But remember, weight doens't come off nice and steadily. It's annoying as...but that's the way it is.

Good luck with your journey!
  • vonobox
    vonobox Posts: 1
    Options
    What Velvetkat said. You have to take the extra time to make sure everything is accurate. 900 cals for gardening is unlikely, for example.

Also, treat each day as though you've done no excersise, even when you have - if you are using the effort to 'earn' you the right to have cake then chances are it'll go wrong, or at the very least take you a LOT longer to get to the target than it would if you didn't have the cake.
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    I will try the eating the set amount every day, my Dr said between 1500 and 1600 so I will try to stick at that, I have been trying to up my protein I'm eating a lot more lean meat that I ust to, and have bought dryed beans to add to soups, mash ect thanks for the advice :)
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have been sticking to my cals using a HRM to track exercise (most of the time) and over the last week and a have I pave put 4 lb back on :( 90% of my food is measured so my calculations cannot be that out.

What workouts are you doin? if ur weight training at all it could most def. be muscle which then you should be happy about the gain. but if you have just been doin cardio then prob not a great gain. Um just got done reading threads about to make sure we eat our exercise calories back. which means eating more! to lose weight. IM DEF. GONNA TAKE THEIR ADVICE :) Hope this helps..
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I On one other note: Every month and not anywhere near my time of the month I will gain 4lbs exactly. Im not doing anything different its just a hormone thing. Takes me the entire week to "work" it off. Happens every month so I know its just the hormones.
    This happens to me as well..and NOT when you would expect it...just a hormonal cycle of some kind. Remember, you'd really have to be eating a LOT to actually gain 4 whole lbs in a couple of days...so its not a real gain. You're probably retaining water for some reason or another.

(edit) - also, its nice in theory, but extremely unlikely that you gained 4 lbs of muscle in a week and a half like some are suggesting.....
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    I will start putting ingredients in individualy. I have been a little busy over the last 2 weeks so have probably used the quick click a little to much. I didnt do extra exercise to eat the the cake. I am trying to do at least 30 min exercise a day no matter what I eat. and as I want this to be a life change not a diet, I was at a kids party and avoided party food and had cake I was at kids party yesterday and will be tomorow and another on sat but thats a 50th. I will not be having cake at any of them as cake 5 times in a week is way to much even if its a party size bit. Any way I'm going to measure an will let you know how it goes.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Divide your calories up more during the day. A 900 calorie dinner is going to stay with you. Your metabolism is usually higher in the morning, so eat more at breakfast compared to dinner. Spread your calories out during the day. If you eat 5 meals a day, divide them into 4. Say you are on 1200 / day...divide it up 300 for breakfast, 150 for morning snack, 300 for lunch, 150 for afternoon snack and 300 for dinner.

I find that higher protein intake stays with me better as well.