What do you eat before a morning workout?

Options
hmrtym
hmrtym Posts: 49 Member
What good ideas do you have for eating first thing in the morning, before a workout? I normally don't exercise until later in the morning, but I have been getting up early to start the day with a workout and I'm not sure what is best! Thanks for any advice you have!

Replies

• laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this too or maybe what to eat the night before to prepare for the morning if that makes a difference? I wake up at 4 AM and I am at the gym for 4:45 after eating/getting ready. I know I need to change my food intake because I have been eating cereal (Special K) and I sometimes eat a tblspn of Natural PB. But would like something that will fuel me better?

My issue is I am pretty much up and out. I dont' have time to make breakfast (eggs, etc.) Any ideas? THANKS :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I fast so it's a BCAA recovery mix then I pick things up and put them down!
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/labrada2.htm

I found this article that explains what your body needs. It's pretty interesting article!
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I work out about 3 hours after I get up in the morning. I have 1 whole egg, 1 egg white and coffee with 2 tbsp of creamer. It may not be much but it helps get me going in the morning.
  • charbella118
    Options
    I get up at 4:15am to get ready to go to the gym. I find that if I eat I have more energy to work out than I did on an empty stomach. I ALWAYS eat 1/2 cup of non-fat plain yogurt, 1/2 cup of oatmeal with cinnamon and a small Fuji apple.
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 banana with 1 tablespoon of nut butter before my workout in the AM. I use the other 1/2 of a banana in my post-workout smoothie.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Whey Protien Powder... just mix and drink!
  • joshmiller1998
    Options
    After I take my pre workout drink, I eat an apple before I get started sometimes, others I don't eat anything because I drink a protein shake after I am done. The night before I try to eat some cottage cheese.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30, and hit the gym at 5:45 for an hour. I don't eat anything until afterwards. I cannot face food that early.
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I usually eat just a banana and a bottle of water. I believe Jillian Michaels said that one banana has enough energy to power you through a 90 minute workout. I can't eat something heavy then workout so my usual breakfast is after that.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i dont
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    I usually eat a bowl of cereal then wait a half hour before going to the gym.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I usually do cardio in the morning and lift later in the day, so I don't eat anything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 banana with 1 tablespoon of nut butter before my workout in the AM. I use the other 1/2 of a banana in my post-workout smoothie.

Tha'ts exactly what I have if it is less than an hour before the workout! If I have 2 hours I'll have something a little more substantial.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The last thing I eat before my morning workout is dinner or night time snack before I go to bed.
  • Zalissa
    Zalissa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat a single serving of steel cut oats with 1/4 cup blueberries and a hard boiled egg. This may sound like a lot of work in the morning, but it's not. On Sunday, I make 7 servings worth of steel cut oats and divide them up into individual containers with frozen blueberries in the bottom of the dishes. As I'm preparing for my day, I just pop a single container into the microwave and it's ready in no time. I also make 7 hard boiled eggs on Sunday for eating through out the week. It requires a little planning, but it's helpful.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Absolutely zilch, nada. Unless I'm working out mid-day, then I'll eat a normal breakfast and potentially a snack before going in at 11AM, or later like today. The best performance will come from an empty stomach as your body and mind are able to focus and perform at the highest level. If your belly is full and your trying to really get at it, hold off on the food as long as you can. You can also use your hunger to create some edginess that can drive you to push yourself. If you're a casual exerciser, you can take a much more lenient stance on this. I know people that put their cereal bowl in the sink just before leaving for the gym. Not sure I could pull that off.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:15am to get ready to go to the gym. I find that if I eat I have more energy to work out than I did on an empty stomach. I ALWAYS eat 1/2 cup of non-fat plain yogurt, 1/2 cup of oatmeal with cinnamon and a small Fuji apple.

Bravo Charbella! Nice to know others can handle the 0400 wake up call... Gym's a lot more available at 5am too.
  • jivehonky
    jivehonky Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i dont

Hey Rebekah, don't go drowning us in a sea of words, ok! ; )

I concur, tall glass of water is about it for me... Though didn't Rocky drink a glass full of raw eggs before his morning run?