Poll-runners

What would your reaction be if you were running down a busy road and someone honked and possibly "whoooot"ed at you?

*Confession* When I see people running on the road, if we make eye contact, I "eye flirt" with them, just to make them feel good, But I've seen so many people as of late, Running, and I want to honk, holler, whatever! Something to say HEY! Good job!! Keep it up!

Thoughts?

Replies

• briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    in general I like it!! unless the guy looks creepy! Once I chick on the back of a motorcycle gave me a thumbs up during my run and I gotta tell you it made my day!!!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,339 Member
    There was a very overweight woman this morning walking, and I wanted to honk, but I don't want to offend anyone... ya know?
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    bump
  • ThePinkPachyderm
    ThePinkPachyderm Posts: 140 Member
    I know when I am out running I kind of get in a zone and let my mind wander, try to escape reality a bit. So for me getting honked at would be a distraction and would pull me back into reality. I am sure there are lots of people that run simply to look good, and I would assume those people would enjoy any attention they can get, but that just ain't me..........
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    I really thought more people would have an opinion
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I run on a trail, through some areas that aren't really visible and further away from the general population. So the general smiles and head nods that go with passing someone on the trail, I enjoy. Any lingering looks, weird extra eye contact, or anything like that makes me wary and I go on high alert for awhile about who's around and the nearest trail exit since it unnerves me that someone took an increases notice in me and I don't know why.

And the few times I've been "wooted" at while walking publicly, I figured weres jokes/mocking me, because who would truly woot the chubby girl?
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    i honk. i wave. i give a thumbs up. i nod. anything to show support for people out there doing the darn thing.
  • hagamivida
    hagamivida Posts: 129
    I have had people laugh at me... and generally prefer no comments unless I pass another runner and we nod or say hi.
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    It's always good to get encouragement.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,860 Member
    I usually just swerve at them with a maniacal look on my face honking and screaming. They never seem to appreciate that I am just trying to be supportive. I guess I just don't get runners.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I've had one "Run, Forrest, run..." from the occupants of a car and one drunk mumble something incoherent at me - that's about it.

When I'm out running I'll give other runners a wave or nod (we need to develop a secret handshake!)
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    I've had one "Run, Forrest, run..." from the occupants of a car and one drunk mumble something incoherent at me - that's about it.

When I'm out running I'll give other runners a wave or nod (we need to develop a secret handshake!)

I'd never say that lol
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    BUMPITY!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    I run on trails or paths at parks and so I don't usually run on roads with cars, but honestly if someone honked at me I would probably think they wanted me to get out of thier way or something.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    I like and give smiles, waves, thumbs up. Honks are kinda questionable.. "was that a happy honk or an angry honk?"
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    I get annoyed when I hear someone honk. I will ignore them because i don't know if they are friendly or just being rude. It also breaks my thought process up. I tend to run in the mornings when it is dark, and also I live in a city, so between the two, they might not be honking at me but at another car. Personally I would say don't. if you are actually running by another person, then smile or say hello or wave.

Plus if you honk, it could distract another driver and cause an unwanted reaction from them.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    It doesn't bother me! As long as they don't hit me, lol!

My husband and I are training for our first half. When we are driving and he sees anyone running (guy or girl), he always says outloud "Get it girl!" or "Way to go." They don't actually hear him, but I think he's tempted to honk, too! It feels good to see people out there exercising!