Poll: Job advancement

Options
findingfit23
findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
Which would you rather do:

Take a new job, that will be a promotion and raise, but something you do not want to do. You will not know how long you might get stuck in that position, until another opening comes along. You will gain experience, but be pretty miserable day to day.

Or

Stay in your current job that you have been in for 2 years. Be extremely happy with what you do, enjoy coming to work, but stuck at the same pay until something else comes along, eventually. But also not really learning anything new to make yourself more desirable to new positions.

Replies

• psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Option 2, I'd rather be happy and skint than miserable with money. If I'm happy and have enough to pay the bills I need very little extra money :)
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Stay where you are. A crappy job that makes your life miserable, money won't make you happy.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I was recently faced with this and chose to pursue #1. As fate would have it, I didn't get the position. People around me said that it's probably a blessing in disguise. So, I'm stuck in #2 wondering. I like money, and this would have been a significant jump. So, it's a bummer. But, it's not always about money, I guess.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Pretty obvious which way you are leaning here with the wording of the questions. :wink:

Let me ask you this, how much more money is the first scenario? Does it significantly change your lifestyle for the better?
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    By the wording of your question it appears as though you have already made this decision. Personally, I would choose option #1.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the job I am happy with especially if the other job would be miserable.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Which would you rather do:

Take a new job, that will be a promotion and raise, but something you do not want to do. You will not know how long you might get stuck in that position, until another opening comes along. You will gain experience, but be pretty miserable day to day.

Or

Stay in your current job that you have been in for 2 years. Be extremely happy with what you do, enjoy coming to work, but stuck at the same pay until something else comes along, eventually. But also not really learning anything new to make yourself more desirable to new positions.

Have you asked for a raise? I would make a list as to why you should get a raise/better raise/additional raise. Then make an appointment with my manager. I have done this and it has worked out well. If the answer is NO. Ask for a review in 3-4 months to assess the ability to receive another raise. This should be done at least 4 months prior to the close of your company's fiscal year. Why? So your boss can BUDGET in your NEW RAISE!

If you are GREAT at your current job, take your current job description and ADD any additional work you do and qualifications you have above and beyond what is needed for the position. Then find out if HR can create a NEW position maybe an Jr. Analyst V position wherein Jr. Analyst IV is the highest position currently. The new position should also have a NEW pay scale. Aim for the MID-POINT of this new pay scale.

Good luck.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I was just faced with this too. Is there any chance you can parlay the option 1 into a raise with your current job? It would sure make the decision easy.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Option two and do things outside of work that will fulfill your other needs.

UNLESS you need the money. And then you have to weigh out whether or not the increase in pay outweighs the miserable feeling.
    I've had a sucky job in the past and the stress and drama weren't worth the cash...but then my brain tends to carry work stress home with me. If you can separate the two...maybe...but it would have to be a helluva lotta cash.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    If you are okay financially with your current job I would stick with that since you like it. I just quit a job that I had been at for 3 years because it was making me miserable but I stayed so long because they kept promoting me and I convinced myself it was worth it for the opportunity. You would be amazed what a negative impact a miserable job has on your overall quality of life. So not worth it.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Take happiness over money any day! :flowerforyou:

If you can (as another post suggested) use the 1st option as a bargaining chip and get a raise in your current position - go for it!
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I work for the USPS. I have always chosen option #2...remaining in my comfort zone. I always figured that the extra money was not worth the extra headaches for me. It has served me well for my career.
    However, the USPS is now in horrible financial shape and my office was recently closed down, leaving my job in danger. I have latched on in another office right now, but my position is far from stable.
    Perhaps I should have taken some of the advancement opportunities at some point in my career. I might not have been as "happy", but my job might not be in jeopardy, either. Tough decision!!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Option 1 would be a 5k raise. Getting a raise to stay in my current job is not an option, this company doesnt work that way.

Im pulled by the money in option 1, but pulled by enjoying my job to option 2.
    But Im a recentl college grad, its time to start using my degree. That wont happen unless I start moving around the company. Ive been with the company 10 years, so I dont really want to leave.
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would take option one. I get bored way to easy and I need to strive. To me, a job I don't intially like would be challenge. How much can I learn? How much can I bring to this position? How much can I take away from it? Do I have the ability to make it my dream position?

I am currently in position which intially was very challenging and I loved it, but now the most complicated things I can do in my sleep and I need more. I am bored and dread going to work.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Option 1 would be a 5k raise. Getting a raise to stay in my current job is not an option, this company doesnt work that way.

For just $5k, I wouldn't bother to change jobs. I would only switch if the experience to gained from the first option were substantial, and led to better opportunities in the long run.
  • sqldiva
    sqldiva Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Happy is always better than money unless you're destitute.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    you cant put a price on happiness
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Since a raise isn't an option, I would go w/ option 1. This will permit for personal and professional growth.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options

For just $5k, I wouldn't bother to change jobs. I would only switch if the experience to gained from the first option were substantial, and led to better opportunities in the long run.

^^^ this
  • OutOfBreath
    OutOfBreath Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Having been in the EXACT SAME POSITION for 7 years, and at the same company for over 10.5... stay with what makes you happy. But be careful not to get stuck. I say this last part, because while the job made me happy at one point. It no longer does, but I've put myself in an unhappy position by stopping here.