COMPARISON - OPINION

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
I just started cycling and have been amazed with how much calories I burn and how enjoyable it is compared to running on a treadmill! I average about 4 mph on the treadmill and it takes me over an hour to burn 300 calories. I do an average of 10-15 miles a day cycling at about 10-12 mph (sometimes consistently more at 13-15 mph) and burn that much in only 30 minutes! I DO not ride "leisurely". I put for effort and I sweat! I make sure to stay in my target speed zone (I have a multifunction speedometer/odometer) to keep track. My question is this...Do I get the same benefits cycling as I do running on the treadmill? As much as I had come to love running, the treadmill routine became quiet boring. I'll take any advice/suggestions you care to offer. Thanks for y'all time! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think you're getting different benefits, but equally good. :) Having fibromyaliga I can really tell which muscles an exercise is working because those are the muscles that hurt and get weak while I'm doing it. Biking works your legs, but it (mountain or speed biking) also strengthens your upper body because you support some of your weight on arms. Walking / running works your lower body, but it also works your abs and strengthens your back. Weight bearing exercises also build bone density. Cardiovascularly they're both awesome.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    When I began my wieght loss journey I was doing spinning classes twice a week and I lost 20 pounds in like 2 months - so its def GREAT cardio. I've began to get bored with it and am maintaining my weight so I started to switch it up and began running. I think if you wanna keep the bicycling for the cardio thats great but maybe you should switch it up atleast once in a while and also add in some strength training. Just my opinion!
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    i totally agree with BrendaLee, cycling not only works your legs, its pretty much an entire body workout. you're using your core to stablize yourself on the bike and your upper body to because you are supporting yourself on the bike. also, if you do any climbs you work your back a little more than just riding on a flat road. but yes, the cardio benefits are amazing. i am between 110 and 115lbs, 25 years old and i can burn 500 calories in an hour and a half riding at 14-19mph. try to incorporate a few sprints in your ride. not only will you increase your heartrate and get a little extra calorie burn, but you will gain strength and become a better, faster rider.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna start spin class in August. I'm really excited about it because I know it's gonna be such a challenging workout!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You may be burning more calories because your body isn't as used to the exercise. . .so my advice is to do both. If you enjoy both, but get bored just doing the same thing over and over again (like you said you had come to be after doing just the treadmill) then mix it up. I vary my workouts, and have noticed that by not doing just one type of cardio, I get a higher rate of calorie burn by not letting my body get used to something.

And, if you like cycling, you'll love spinning. :flowerforyou:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Good idea! hmmmm........ :smooched:
    Maybe I'll take a spinning class!

I'm bored with my workout routines (except the turbo kick boxing class!)
    and can't afford to buy a "real" bike right now. :sad:

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • 2catowner
    2catowner Posts: 94
    Options
    You may be burning more calories because your body isn't as used to the exercise. . .so my advice is to do both. If you enjoy both, but get bored just doing the same thing over and over again (like you said you had come to be after doing just the treadmill) then mix it up. I vary my workouts, and have noticed that by not doing just one type of cardio, I get a higher rate of calorie burn by not letting my body get used to something.

And, if you like cycling, you'll love spinning. :flowerforyou:

I talked to someone who trains athletes a few weeks ago and he told me that it's important to not do the same thing day after day or week after week because your body will get used to it and you will reach a "plateau" of sorts with your workout and/or weight loss. I try to use the elliptial, treadmill, tae bo videos and alternate them-- so far it's working... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my progress continues!:smile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Your body is designed to adapt to things VERY quickly so it is important to mix things up and not do the same thing over and over again if you want to see good results.
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you ladies i was on the same routine for 3 months got so burned out and hit the plateau then took a break for bout 3 weeks and boy did it cost me. So this past week ive taken body step class, spin class, and a body combat class and i feel great. Its always better to switch it up it is true your body will adapt to it. Good luck everyone!
  • prayerfulmom
    prayerfulmom Posts: 409
    Options
    Swim, Bike, and Run alternates different muscle groups. My hrm tells me I fly through the calories on the bike (which I am madly in love with) like double running. Don't know that I really believe that though. Really the bottom line is do what you like cause then your more likely to do it=)