How often do you weigh in?

Options

Replies

• Holly_nats
    Options
    I weighed daily until I established a baseline for calorie intake/exercise (took about a month) thenI started weighing myself 1 time every two weeks. If I did it daily I'd get too discouraged and think about it too much.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on Wed & Thursday. I log the lowest weight of those 2 days. Always the same scale and time. I occasionally will weigh myself on the weekend but do not worry about the results.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The scale I have at home only goes up to 200lbs and was a cheap model (I'm not even sure why we have it, I think someone gave it to us when they got a better scale) so I can't weigh daily nor would I trust the numbers even if I was under 200lbs. I weigh myself every thursday using the scale at the weight loss clinic I go to, then once a month it's on a Wednesday when I have to go in for blood pressure checking and all that as well.

I like doing it once a week, but on the rare times I don't do so well it can take me a few days to get back in gear. When I do well for that week the next week is me all pumped up ready to do it all over again. Gives me something to look forward to.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I would suggest using the search function for the threads if it is a common question. This is probably the 450th thread with that title and the answer is in the database 1000's of times over.

But to answer your question...sometimes daily but officially, every Friday AM, first thing and after a potty break.
  • fashionista954
    fashionista954 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Usually once a week, but I’m thinking of changing to every other week or once a month. The scale can really put me in a bad mood and can have a negative effect on my drive to push forward when it doesn't match how hard I’ve been working towards my weight loss goals.

Fortunately the support on MFP has been amazing so despite what the scale says I keep moving forward (in the past it wasn't so easy)...and focus on all the great benefits that I have (and will continue to reap) from exercising and making healthier food choices..the scale will catch up eventually.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    once every couple of weeks. Its pointless to weigh in everyday. If you are just focused on seeing a drop everyday then you will not be focused on getting your BEAST on at the gym. Weight fluctuates constantly.
  • raquelott
    raquelott Posts: 14
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning as soon as I wake up, and after workouts, sometimes more than once a day. I do like instant gratification! Sometimes I'll log it in right away, but if it hasn't changed, or only changed by 1-2oz, I'll wait until at least 4-5oz change to log...
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month when I meet with my dietician. It's the same scale, around the same time of the day, so I get relieable results. Also, if there is a gain (which luckily there has not been) she is there, and we can figure out together the possilbe reason or what healthy changes I can make. But I agree with others that it's completely a personal choice. I just know I can become obsessive about it, so I choose once a month as a check in and it works for me!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    once every couple of weeks. Its pointless to weigh in everyday. If you are just focused on seeing a drop everyday then you will not be focused on getting your BEAST on at the gym. Weight fluctuates constantly.

You're assuming that weighing in every day means someone is trying to see a drop every single time. I just like to have the data, so I log it all. I get to see a new low weight every few days, in the middle of all the ups and downs, which lets me know that I'm still making progress in the right direction.
  • Jenny111372
    Jenny111372 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week..every Thursday same time, when I wake my kids up for school and after I use the bathroom.
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try not to weigh myself every day, because if I'm up a little I tend to get discouraged but it's hard not to. I usually weigh at home as soon as I wake up. I also like to step on the scale at the gym even though that is in the afternoon and it can be up to 3 pounds difference! I only log my weight once per week - usually on Wednesdays. I would love to be able to only weigh in once per week - something to work on...
  • beebe98
    beebe98 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i appreciate all of your responses. I do like weighing myself daily because it does make me accountable. I am not looking for a drop every day because i do know that is unrealistic. But it if i have had a significant gain from yesterday then i like to look back at what i ate that day to see what i can change for the future. Good luck to all of you.
  • denicewim
    Options
    i weigh myself everymorning before breakfast! i find this keeps me on track!
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I generally weigh myself three times a day - in the morning before i get dressed, in the aafternoon when i get home from work and just before I go to bed. I'm always curious about how my weight fluctuates during the day.

I haven't been here a week yet, but I will post my weight once a week, gain or lose, Probably using the morning weight - that's generally the lowest.

this
  • Micky0825
    Options
    Weigh in once a week. The scale is only one measurement. You will start seeing the results in the inches, in the way your clothes fit. Your body retains water, so you weigh yourself everyday. This will drive you crazy!
  • Fayelle1
    Fayelle1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think you should only weigh once a week...but I get curious...and as long as it's trending down...I'm ok. But if it goes up then I want to reduce food more...which isn't real healthy....so I would suggest once a week with a peek.:laugh: :laugh:bigsmile:
  • phn1001
    phn1001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday drives me crazy to not. However I too onlny log it in MFP if there is a change. So this week I logged Mon. Tues. Wed and not today. Do what works for you
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i was weighing everyday but it was driving me nuts. i have been weighing weekly now, and i think its a better idea for me, i love to see how much i have lost.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every night when I get dressed for bed just to kind of gauge how I'm going to be in the morning but don't stress about that number since it varies by what I ate. But, if it's a new night low I know I'm most likely in for a new morning low the next day. Then I weight myself every morning before I get dressed. If this drops below the lowest recorded on MFP I update it. I only update gains if they stick around for a week.

And every Sunday I do an official Spike day weigh in and record that on our group thread. It's been fun seeing that number drop every week and add the new lower number each time. And extra great we do it the day we are spiking so you can really enjoy your day of eating and drinking.
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. Sometimes throughout the day as well, just out of curiosity, i know that weight fluctuates alot and i like to see the differences. BUT, i only log on friday mornings after potty breaks and before breakfast and shower.