No movement on the scale = frustrating times!

Options
Hey everyone!

Ok so I'm going to bring up something that I'm sure has happened to all of us at some point: you eat right, you work out consistently, you pass on the junk food coworkers consume right in front of you( and keep offering you) and yet despite all your efforts and willpower, the scale doesn't move! Ugh!! Talk about a kick in the self esteem! Now I'm a smart gal and this isn't my first rodeo when it comes to weight loss... I've done it before and have proven to be successful at it... So I know the scale isn't the only place you should measure your improvements. Still! Isn't it frustrating?!?!?

I'm trying to tone up/ slim down for my wedding in August. I feel like I can't spare the "just be patient" time period. I want my hard work to show!

Anyone else feeling the weight loss blahs at the moment???

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    With only 22lbs to lose (per your profile), it's even more important than with a very heavy person that you really nail down your calorie intake and track your burn. I started at 22lbs to lose also. I can't see your diary, but with so few to lose, it's a lot more than just eating better and working out. I would assume you are on a 1200 calorie diet? Track every morsel of food, oil, butter and drink that goes in your mouth and STICK that # on days you don't exercise. On days you do exercise, eat MORE so that your NET is still 1200.

One of the biggest problems I see on this board is that people aren't actually eating enough. Check that also. Eating UNDER 1200 will cause the weight to stall.
  • rednblack84
    Options
    Take pictures instead. I did this last month. I was bummed because I only lost 3 pounds in this past month. But when I compared the pictures, there's no comparison. I made real progress despite what my scale says. If you're already thin and looking for tone, this is the route I would go. I also lost 5.5 inches which changed the shape of my body. The way I look and the way my clothes fit are so much greater than what the scale says.

Congrats on the wedding and good luck!
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Totally on a plateau of 139-140 pounds! So confused about whether to eat more calories than1200 visa vie how much exercise - help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ale6d5
    ale6d5 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've got the same issue. I've been doing this for 2 months now and I was doing fine (down 1-2 lbs/week), but now I've leveled off. I'm eating the same and still logging all of my foods. I fear my body has just gotten used to the 1200 calories/day and I'm just not sure how to mix it up so my body keeps working to lose the weight. HELP!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As you approach your goal, you need to eat more as your body will fight harder to maintain fat. This is why it's suggest to set your goal at .5 lbs per week for weight loss and eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. Also, i don't know what you are doing of exercise, but if you aren't lifting very heavy weights, you need to start.
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    My first 7 lbs fell off... but these last 5... before my first goal have been a pain in the butt, I plan to start working out more and harder...!!! and I take in 1200 calories a day as well!!! <3 Best of luck!!!!
  • jame_104
    jame_104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My goodness I am right there with you. I know that I am toning up but I want that scale to move! Why? I don't know, I don't understand why I have to see the numbers go down to justify my progress. I can SEE the difference in the mirror but that witch of a scale... just hates me. Very frustrating. :explode:
  • E1rlindsay
    E1rlindsay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the Zig-zag calorie method to see if that shakes things up for me...as well as adding some more variety to my workouts. I know how you feel...i eat great, exercise hard, and don't indulge in the things I used to. I haven't had a cookie or a donut or fast food (excluding subway) in like 3 months! that's epic for me...yet, no weight loss (pound-wise) in 3+ weeks! I have lost inches, so all is not lost. I'm also on a time crunch for a wedding in August; it's my sister's wedding and i'm trying to look good in a coral bridesmaid dress! :)
  • sissypunks
    Options
    i have the same problem but im just starting out i do 30 min of Biggest Loser on Xbox a day at least 30 min on my treadmill and kettel bells 4 to 5 days a week have done this every week for 5 weeks and have just lost 3 pounds grrr!! was watching something online from bob on BL and he said to try to do workout backwards if u do cardio first do it last and try diffrent exercises so your body does not get used to it so gonna see if it helps might help u to
  • E1rlindsay
    E1rlindsay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Bob also recommended walking backwards on the treadmill...i think i'll save that to try when no one is around, since i'll undoubtedly fall off the treadmill! :)
  • Countrybride2b
    Countrybride2b Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    With only 22lbs to lose (per your profile), it's even more important than with a very heavy person that you really nail down your calorie intake and track your burn. I started at 22lbs to lose also. I can't see your diary, but with so few to lose, it's a lot more than just eating better and working out. I would assume you are on a 1200 calorie diet? Track every morsel of food, oil, butter and drink that goes in your mouth and STICK that # on days you don't exercise. On days you do exercise, eat MORE so that your NET is still 1200.

One of the biggest problems I see on this board is that people aren't actually eating enough. Check that also. Eating UNDER 1200 will cause the weight to stall.

Yes I completely agree with you about the eating right.. And I do. I'm actually consuming 1540 calories/day because I am so active. On days when I'm lifting weights I usually eat some of my workout calories back. I agree with you that many people aren't eating enough... Although with me I don't think that's the case. I also eat very limited packaged foods... I think highly processed foods dont provide you with enough nutrition, making your body hungry again sooner, making you want to eat again! They are also high in calories so it really should be avoided when at all possible. The worst are things like "special k" bars... They have no nutritional benefit! They don't even have any fibre!! So you're eating 100 calories of pure crap. Just my opinion.

Sorry I got really off topic there!! LOL thanks for your response :laugh:
  • Countrybride2b
    Options
    Oh that's a good idea about mixing up the order you do your workout routine in! Thanks for the tip:)
  • bookdame
    bookdame Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm in the same boat too!

It seems like tracking calories, exercising most days of the week and intentionally eating healthy has only caused my scale to inch its way in the wrong direction! I have even started seeing a personal trainer.

I'm getting so discouraged. My scale just does not want to move and I have my sights set on losing the 20 pounds I have gained over the last two years. Yes, I know I gained it in a long period, but I am doing everything people suggest and wondering for what.

I don't want to restrict to 1200 calories, that just seems so low!
  • Countrybride2b
    Options
    I don't know your age/weight but if you're working out as much as you say then I agree that 1200calories a day is too low for you! I eat 1540 but on days I work out with weights I add a few more. I'm still frustrated too... Spring is almost here and I want to make sure I'm at my best for the summer months ahead! I'm thinking about adding in some outdoor activities on top of my gym routine. Now that the weather is nice, I should be spending more time outside anyway! Plus it will get me moving around more which = more calories burned!!! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Even 1550 calories can be low especially if you burn a lot. Up yoir calories by another 200-300 calories for a month. Your body may just need to refeed and repair. Also to break plateaus take a week off from exercise and eat at maintenance. Rest is just as important as the exercise.
  • Countrybride2b
    Options
    Good idea! Thanks for the suggestion! It's hard for me to take time off working out. I only take 1 day/week off from the gym. I feel so guilty!!! Like I'm slacking off or something. Its just a mental thing I guess.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have stalled on my weight loss many times and now have a related problem. I eat at or below maintenance during pregnancy and I still gain! Wtf? I thought I would have to eat extra calories for that but apparently not! Not sure what the answer is.
  • Countrybride2b
    Options
    This may be a stupid thing to ask... But aren't you supposed to be gaining weight if pregnant? :)
  • Countrybride2b
    Options
    Also make sure your scale is properly calibrated!!! My fiancé pointed this out today... So we fixed it and looks like I'm down 2 more pounds!! :)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid thing to ask... But aren't you supposed to be gaining weight if pregnant? :)

oh yes but I packed on too much weight during first trimester when I wasn't supposed to gain and hadn't changed my diet, so I'm trying to maintain for a bit to even things out!

Congrats on the scale fix!