Drinking wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much Coffee

Options
:drinker: Hi all, i drink about 6 big mugs of Coffee a day! im getting really worried that this is affecting my weight loss, plus i tend to drink less water due to my addiction to coffee, also ive been told that drinking too much coffee can put on weight!!!

please can anyone advice me on this?

:heart:

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    how do you drink your coffee? If it fits into your caloric goals- who cares? It shouldn't have any effect.

If you are drinking 6 caramel frappecino's then sure maybe you should cut back.
  • Sanduni
    Sanduni Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks sweetie :)

well i just drink, white, decaff no sugar :) im high on caffeine tho! lol
  • aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    if you do put on weight from drinking coffee it is probably water retention from not drinking enough water.
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a happy caffeinated person who embraces her addiction. I use splenda (yeah I know some folks think it's poison but I really haven't seen any ill effects and I've been using it for years). And I use nonfat milk so I get a smidge of calcium. :)
  • July121980
    July121980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking your coffee black then it has zero calories. It is also using water to be brewed so you can count your coffee as water intake. If you are using sugar or sugar substitutes then that should be recorded along with any creamer you use. It is probably very minimal calories.

Now this is what I know about mass consumptions of caffeine:

Problems in relation to coffee and weight loss can arise with any product we ingest that contains caffeine.
    Why?

There are four reasons. (1) As a stimulant, it negatively affects our ability to sleep. (2) It correlates with, or contributes to causing, insulin resistance and food cravings.(3) It can increase appetite.(4) GABA is an important neurotransmitter in the central nervous system of mammals. In humans it helps to regulate neuronal excitability (as well as muscle tone). Caffeine interferes with GABA’s ability to calm us.

http://www.lasting-weight-loss.com/coffee-and-weight-loss.html

So I posted this link to the article that I got this from. Maybe you can ween yourself off all the coffee by switching to half calf and then slowly decreasing the amount you consume until you are at 1 or 2 8oz cups a day. Just a suggestion.
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Caffeine infact speeds metabolism... so you may be helping yourself! I am caffeine-sensitive... so alas... none for me!!!
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    why don't you alternate one mug of coffee then drink one glass of water?
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I was this way -- drank it ALL day long at work, and really felt like I was getting too much caffeine too. I just set a time limit (11 AM), and I quit the coffee. I do occasionally have a soft drink (sometimes two if I go to a ball game) in the afternoon or evening, but setting a time limit REALLY helped me cut down on the amount of coffee I drink.
    I also don't drink nearly as much in the summer when I am home (I teach).
    Kaye
  • dwhalley529
    Options
    I also drink a LOT of coffee. I use Splenda, nonfat milk or occasionally FF half n half. I've read that the caffeine (in moderation) can help to boos metabolism, but that was in Men's Health Magazine so... consider the source. :)
  • Sanduni
    Sanduni Posts: 53
    Options
    :heart: Thanks a lot for all your input all you lovely peeps :) i will cut down on the intake though coz my mugs are massive he he! although its difficult to try and drink water instead of Coffee at work :( but ill try......

thanks agian :heart: :heart:
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm a coffee drinker too!! But I don't drink soda, nor anything else for that matter. Haven't had a drink in at least 2 years but really quit drinking drinks 12 years ago. For the record I have an uncle that is almost 90. He has always been very small. He drinks 3 (12) cup pots a day!!!!! That is not a typeo. He goes to breakfast with his buddies every day and he drinks a pot of coffee before meeting them for breakfast. He takes very little medicine. He drinks a glass of water to every 2 cups of coffee. That is all he drinks coffee and water. And yes it is regular. And he drinks it black!!! I'm almost 43 and he has been the same size ever since I can remember, and I can always remember when I was little when he came to the house that he asked for coffee. I know what the reports say that the caffeine slows down your metabolism, but then you read reports that women need at least 4 cups of coffee a day. I think you gotta do what works for you!! For me, it has not slowed down my weight loss. I drink at least 4 cups every day, with non fat non dairy creamer, but I will admit I am trying to reduce the amount of cream I use.