Replies

• elarvor
    elarvor Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thats so true. I have to do the same
  • m2kh
    m2kh Posts: 17
    Options
    I found it easiest to start with the bike and I added on every week. I started with 30 minutes 2-3 times a week. Then I progressed to biking 45 min. Then I upped my resistance. Then I moved to doing the elliptical for 10 minutes and then doing the rest of my workout on the bike. The elliptical about killed me. Each week I was determined to add 2 more minutes to my elliptical workout and decrease my time on the bike. It gradually got easier. Now, 6 months later I do 50 minutes on the elliptical plus 20 minutes on the bike three times a week, along with a step and weight lifting classes. Even though I get a good workout and sweat like crazy I'm not even as close to as winded as I was at the beginning after 10 minutes. It does get easier and really helps the weight drop off!
  • florange323
    florange323 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Omg!! This is me. Thanks for asking.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    go till you collapse or puke ....... its not good cardio till someone hurls
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Each time you go, push yourself a little further. If you did 10 mins yesterday, tell yourself you'll do 12 today. If you are focused more on speed and you did 10 mins at 3.0 yesterday, today do 10 mins at 3.1.

Slow and steady. Give your body time.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    depends on what your goal is. Do you want to be healthier than yes do cardio - I keep hearing that 30 minutes a day is key but you can separate that 30 minutes into 3 10 minute shots if youd like. If your looking to loose weight (fat) cardio is only essential in keeping your net calories at your goal. You should mix cardio with strength training and eating right for optimal gains in all departments.

As for cardio training - do what you can in a week and pick one day to be your push day. Try and keep your heart rate at a manageable pace (i.e. 55%-65% of HRM) - let's just say easy numbers around 120. Then on that push day try and get yourself to go 130 heart rate or increase your time of workout more. Once you succeed that's your new bench mark and move forward from there

Yeah, Im definitely trying to lose weight, so I know I have to do cardio. The 3 10 minute shots sound more doable then just the 30 minutes all at once. Thanks for the advice! :)

You missed what he said, He said, you don't need cardio to lose weight, you need it to be healthy.

All cardio does for weight loss is allow you to eat more and lose the same amount of weight. If you follow MFP cardio has no benefit, for weight loss, it just allows you to eat more. That being said cardio has many health benefits.
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    when I first started exercising 2 months ago I couldn't do more then 15 minutes on the eliptical and now I can do 40. Zumba works for me. That hour zooms by and is fun to boot. If I do the machines, i bring an ipad and watch a show and when the show is over I can stop. helps makes it not so boring.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I try to put in atleast an hour a day (Walking) + 30 minutes or so of my stationary bike. But then again, I'm crazy and dont have alot of strength training going on right now (Which I personally would say will benefit you equally and you should employ that in your workout)
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    depends on what your goal is. Do you want to be healthier than yes do cardio - I keep hearing that 30 minutes a day is key but you can separate that 30 minutes into 3 10 minute shots if youd like. If your looking to loose weight (fat) cardio is only essential in keeping your net calories at your goal. You should mix cardio with strength training and eating right for optimal gains in all departments.

As for cardio training - do what you can in a week and pick one day to be your push day. Try and keep your heart rate at a manageable pace (i.e. 55%-65% of HRM) - let's just say easy numbers around 120. Then on that push day try and get yourself to go 130 heart rate or increase your time of workout more. Once you succeed that's your new bench mark and move forward from there

Yeah, Im definitely trying to lose weight, so I know I have to do cardio. The 3 10 minute shots sound more doable then just the 30 minutes all at once. Thanks for the advice! :)

You missed what he said, He said, you don't need cardio to lose weight, you need it to be healthy.

All cardio does for weight loss is allow you to eat more and lose the same amount of weight. If you follow MFP cardio has no benefit, for weight loss, it just allows you to eat more. That being said cardio has many health benefits.

Ok, yeah you're right, I totally read that wrong, thanks for pointing that out. :)
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started out going from NO exercises to a goal of doing 30 minutes of something. Walking, elliptical, or the Wii. Now 7 weeks later my workouts are at a minimum of 30 minutes to an hour plus on the weekends! Like others have posted, do what you can and each time add a little to it. After awhile you'll be amazed at what you CAN do!! Good Luck to you!
  • SAMIJO67
    SAMIJO67 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with everybody some cardio is better than none. I try to to do at least twenty minutes at a moderate pace. It seems
    like forever. I normally put a movie on when I want to go longer it really helps.. If you try with nothing a minute seems like foreverrrrrr.. lol....;:smile:
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I was in this same place, but incorporated a stationary mini-bike under my desk at work. At first, I could only go for max 15 minutes but as time went by, I found myself wanting to do more than one session. I got upt to 1.5 hours a day in random increments of time. After about a month of pushing and trying and working I was up to being able to do all 1.5 hours non-stop. Then 2 hours. I maxed at 3. I just wanted to see how much I could do.

Give yourself simple goals. My thing was that I listened to music, and had a friend tell me how many songs I had to go for. When the next song started, I would start pedaling, and I would not stop till that number of songs was done. We started with 3-5 songs. The thing is, songs are not always the same length so you would never know how long you'd actually be working for, but the commitment I made drove me past when the muscles started going "hey, wait a minute!"

Now, I don't even need my friend to tell me. I put on the music and go for an hour or more. It's very doable. They do say, however, that 3 hours should be the max you do a day, as more than that doesn't show any true benefit, and can sometimes be harmful. I say, do your time, don't watch the clock though. Just go until you truly can't anymore. Write down the time. Next session, try to beat that score.

Also, don't be discouraged if/when you can't do as much after having a rest day or two. Taking a break resets the muscles, and it can take time for them to warm back up to the activity. :)
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I started off from doing no cardio and hating exercise. I started a program called TurboFire, where I do cardio for about 45-60 minutes 6 days a week. And I love it now. It's all about a state of mind and commitment and finding something you enjoy. I can't do more than 10 minutes on the crosstrainer, I find it SO boring x
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    I have severe anxiety too. I CONSTANTLY check my heart rate when working out. My dr told me that if I get my heart pumping for 60 minutes that I won't die. Ha ha. It's all a mind game with me. I am good now when I see my heart rate go up. If it were to drop really fast then I would panic. I am now up to 60 minutes of high intensity walking at a 10.5 incline.

You sound JUST like me with the anxiety!! It sucks!! I just know I have to push myself hard than I am, because Im not even breaking a sweat, so I know its just my anxiety playing a part in it.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. Thanks! :) I guess thats my problem, I don't push myself harder and further because I get discouraged when I feel tired at the same 9-10 minute mark. :/

Thanks again!

if you not used to working out and get bored or tired-position your treadmill so you can watch TV-turn on your favorite program and the time will fly by. It also helps to cover the treadmill monitor so you are not watching the seconds tic on.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I started with walking then got a zumba video to do at home. I did zumba for a few months and loved it. I hear actual classes are more fun but I've never been to one. Then once I lost a bit I decided to run and since you have a treadmill it will be good. You'll get your endurance up once you do more. I could hardly run for 30 seconds before getting winded and feeling like I could just die lol. Now I go 40mins twice a week and do Jillian Michaels 30ds 3 times a week for strength/cardio/abs. The thing is, cardio is a great start. You'll definitely wanna get some kind of weights training in down the line.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    initially, just get moving and over time your wind and strength will increase. Try doing a 30 second brisk walk then slow down for a minute and repeat for as long as you can. The slowing down after each brisk session will help you recover better when you are finished. You will still be sore but not as badly as if you just get going fast. also, after your walks do some stretching, it will help. Good luck.
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    Thanks again, for all of the awesome tips and advice! You guys are awesome! :)

Ashley