Do HR Monitors Work?

Options
Leiki
Leiki Posts: 526 Member
I just did P 90 X Kenpo, which I thought is similar to judo/ karate/ boxing, and tried to log it as such. MFP told me at my weight, for 30 mins, I burned about 300 calories. I thought about it, and that can't be right. My heart gets racing a lot faster when I'm doing 2 minute aggression drills (hitting a pad, non-stop, with as much intensity and speed as I can) then it does during the whole Kenpo work out. There has to be degrees for this. Fighting a person must burn way more calories than doing poses in front of a TV screen.

My point-- should I invest in a heart rate monitor? Are they accurate and worth the money? Or should I just be careful when I'm eating my exercise calories?

Replies

• MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    They're a lot more accurate then MFP. I purchased a Polar FT4 after reading people raving about it on here and saw it on offer. I've found I've been burning nearly 100 more calories than what MFP says. I'd totally invest in a HRM since it takes into account your heart rate as well as age/sex/weight/height. Although they're not totally accurate, they're a lot better than the numbers on this site.
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I found that MFP OVERESTIMATES calories burned in comparison to my HRM. I also have a Polar one. It really helps me when I'm working out to see exactly how hard I am working (to slow down or speed it up). I love it and feel that it is really accurate.
  • sproeber89
    Options
    I think they work and absolutely love mine! It keeps me pushing myself to do more than I did the last time. I also feel good knowing that I know EXACTLY what I'm putting in my body and putting out.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I just did P 90 X Kenpo, which I thought is similar to judo/ karate/ boxing, and tried to log it as such. MFP told me at my weight, for 30 mins, I burned about 300 calories. I thought about it, and that can't be right. My heart gets racing a lot faster when I'm doing 2 minute aggression drills (hitting a pad, non-stop, with as much intensity and speed as I can) then it does during the whole Kenpo work out. There has to be degrees for this. Fighting a person must burn way more calories than doing poses in front of a TV screen.

My point-- should I invest in a heart rate monitor? Are they accurate and worth the money? Or should I just be careful when I'm eating my exercise calories?

I'm a P90X'er as well - definitely recommend getting a HRM. I've got the Polar FT4 & really like it.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I got one... turns out I was underestimating some things and overestimating others. I like knowing that I'm at least a bit more accurate!

for instance, I was underestimating zumba and circuit training by about 100 calories, but I was overestimating taking a walk by quite a bit. everyone's body is different!

here's a good blog if you're looking to buy one (it's kinda wordy but if you can plow through it I found it useful) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love my New Balance N4 - it's a watch/chest strap combo. I have compared calorie burns between my HRM and MFP, and it really varies - some exercises I've found that MFP is way over than what my HRM says, and on others it's way under. So yes, HRM is a good investment!
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Im glad i got one, cause mfp was over on my excersises and could be the reason i wasnt loosing. Mfp said i was burning 405 cals for a 50 min bike ride, and i was actually with my hrm at like 220! For the same bikeride. I was like what!!! And i was logging circuit training for my jillian michael dvds and was giving me way more credit then i deserved there too....grants its a tad discouraging that im not getten as much burned as i had thought but its better to know the truth...in my intstance!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love mine. But if you get one, invest in the continuous monitoring chest version such as Polar F4 or F7. I had the wrist version where you periodically check your rate and wasn't nearly as accurate. I find I am working out better now that I have it because I am able to see targets and such and try to workout harder.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes u need a HRM, I wouldn't even go by what this site says, it's not accurate.......I use a HRM in every exercise I do, weights or cardio......
  • Leiki
    Options
    I got one... turns out I was underestimating some things and overestimating others. I like knowing that I'm at least a bit more accurate!

for instance, I was underestimating zumba and circuit training by about 100 calories, but I was overestimating taking a walk by quite a bit. everyone's body is different!

here's a good blog if you're looking to buy one (it's kinda wordy but if you can plow through it I found it useful) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Thanks for the link! This is really helpful.
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a polar and love it dearly. :o) I think it's accurate enough. Even if the calories are off by a little, I am still able to do a fair comparison between exercises, which I otherwise wouldn't be able to. For some reason it's very motivating to me to see numbers. I don't know why but it does.
  • Leiki
    Options
    I absolutely love mine. But if you get one, invest in the continuous monitoring chest version such as Polar F4 or F7. I had the wrist version where you periodically check your rate and wasn't nearly as accurate. I find I am working out better now that I have it because I am able to see targets and such and try to workout harder.

That makes sense! So that is why there is such a price difference. Thanks!
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar Nike+ chest strap with my IPOD Nano 6g and their website..syncs to gym equip so i dont need to check my watch.. I mean IPOD..size of a watch and has watch strap for them now..
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    i have one and i really like it. i got a sportline 660 womens. i think the only difference between the mens and womens is the watch color and size. i was logging my insanity as high impact cardio but i think it was still underestimating how much i was burning. i've even noticed that on the treadmill i burn more than what is on the machine but on the incline trainer i burn less than what is on the machine. they are definatlly nice to have so you know exactly how much you have burned
  • jeffwilliams66
    Options
    I'll pile on too. I rely completely on mine. The one place where MFP and my Polar HRM seem to line up well is on my runs with Nike+. Every other exercise session I do the results are all over the place on MFP. I trust my HRM.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the price isn't even that much different, but the performance is, which I learned the hard way! I bought a watch only version on clearance at Target - but you have to put your fingers on the front of the watch to take your heart rate, which is a pain during a workout, especially if it doesn't read right away - and often it didn't, resulting in me having to slow down or stop my workout to get a reading! And of course the more often you take a reading, the more accuracy you get, but the more you are stopping your workout.

The watch only version retails for about $50, the New Balance N4 chest strap/watch combo is $70 and totally worth the extra $20. If you're on a budget, figure out what model or models you'd like to have, then head to eBay and wait for one to come up at a good price - I got mine brand new, in the box for $26. :smile:
  • grt2b40
    grt2b40 Posts: 9
    Options
    I use the Polar FT60 and love it. Definitely invest in one. Especially if this is a lifestyle change for you that you indeed to continue. Well worth the money. :) Good luck. (BTW - Polar has a great FaceBook site you should check out. Great info and some very inspirational stories.)
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I found that MFP OVERESTIMATES calories burned in comparison to my HRM. I also have a Polar one. It really helps me when I'm working out to see exactly how hard I am working (to slow down or speed it up). I love it and feel that it is really accurate.
    ^
    Totally agree with this!
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    They are only as good as the information you supply them. ie. updating your pulse if not using achest strap etc
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I can't tell if this is a serious question...?